How to format hard drive that has recovery partition on it.

well then its like impossible to sel the wrong one for your clean command ;)  Since it lists the disk size when you use the list disk command..

14 hours ago, Sharpstick68 said:

I tried right-clicking the one that says Healthy (EFI System Partition) and everything was greyed out, the only one I could do anything with is the 912.11 GB one.

In that case I would probably just say screw it and use Gparted from a bootable USB stick and use that to wipe the drive.

say... https://gparted.org/download.php ; use say Rufus (i.e. https://rufus.ie/ ) to put the ISO on a empty USB stick so it's bootable and then reboot your computer and boot from the USB stick.

since it's your only 1TB hard drive it will be even that much easier to select the correct drive as you can't screw up. GParted is not hard to use as while it's somewhat different from the picture you posted (the one I quoted of you initially), it's similar enough to where I doubt you will have any issues. just make sure you select the correct drive (which is not hard to do) before applying any hard drive changes.

Edited by ThaCrip

gparted is the easiest partition manager to work with I highly recommend listening to those that recommended it.

you simply download it and either burn the ISO to a disk or unpack it to a USB flash drive and then boot into it. choose all the defaults while booting up the image and the GUI will let you select the disk and do whatever you want :)

He can just clean the disk with diskpart... Its impossible for anyone to pick the wrong disk... Since its going to be the only disk that is 1TB..

But yeah if you need a gui, then just boot gparted from some iso.

*Looks back 23 posts* I suggested that awhile ago. While Windows can do it natively, GParted is just plain easier.

Edit: He could have formatted it 20 posts back...

• Like 3

So downloading an ISO, burning it to either CD/DVD or USB Stick - booting the machine via this media is easier then then

cmd prompt

list disk

sel disk x

clean

?

• Like 3

If they don't know the command prompt like you, they might get discouraged. Also if they run into trouble like a page back.

GParted is simple for any user, noob to pro, can use it.

Diskpart may not be an easy solution for him.

47 minutes ago, BudMan said:

So downloading an ISO, burning it to either CD/DVD or USB Stick - booting the machine via this media is easier then then

cmd prompt

list disk

sel disk x

clean

?

not to someone like you or me but to someone not comfortable with command line a simple yet highly functional GUI like gparted is much easier to work with :)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, xrobwx said:

Minitool partition wizard is what I use, no iso, no dvd/usb, no burning, just install and use. 

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

can you actually delete and re-provision partitions with the free version? In the past I've found most "free" partition managers I've messed with in windows let you view the partitions but don't let you do anything with them unless you buy a license. That's the main reason I always just end up using GParted.

Maybe is selected the wrong disk ;)  which from his own statements would seem just plain impossible since its the only 1TB disk in his system.. hehehe

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

Maybe is selected the wrong disk ;)  which from his own statements would seem just plain impossible since its the only 1TB disk in his system.. hehehe

He could have partitioned his 2TB... :rolleyes:

Sure he could of partitioned, wouldn't matter because list disks shows the physical disks, not partitions with file systems on them as disks.

9 hours ago, Brandon H said:

can you actually delete and re-provision partitions with the free version? In the past I've found most "free" partition managers I've messed with in windows let you view the partitions but don't let you do anything with them unless you buy a license. That's the main reason I always just end up using GParted.

of course you can

On 8/30/2019 at 8:13 AM, Brandon H said:

Yes, I did it today. Try it out. I'm not about what "I" like, I'm about what works. :)   Even if you need the purchased version, it's well worth it. I did have to purchase a license for the Windows Server at work but it's still inexpensive. Neither version has ever failed me in 8 or so years I've been using it.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for no reply in a while I just became so afraid of losing data from my other drives I just didnt want to even bother after a while. But now I finally decided to do it and I used that Minitool Partition Wizard program which was easy by the way..but now, I added the drive as a network location on my other computer and when I try to download or copy data to it it tells me I need permission, which I've already given Full Access too under every group/username that the drive is connected to. I can download/copy data to it just fine on the old computer it is connected to, but when downloading or writing data from a networked location it keeps telling me I don't have permission to save in this location..I don't understand.

Obtain a backup of the data. Format the drive on the new computer and see if that helps. (If you've already changed ownership and permissions)

What location are you trying to save it in?  Saving to the root of a file system is normally blocked in windows

Cdrive.thumb.png.8819a99aca8f38ee48b684140874afd2.png

How exactly are you trying to download/copy the file from the share?

At first I was trying to save to the root of the drive, and now I made a folder called test and tried copying something to that folder and still gives me the same message that I need permission to do this.  I am trying to do this through windows explorer, but  I have the folder as a networked drive.

So for example..the computer the drive is connected to I can copy, download, delete, etc files just fine if I am using that computer

But when trying to do any of that on my newer computer where I have the networked folder added..It is giving me the permission denied message

dude I have been doing this a long time.. But I can not help you without some actual details.. Please post the exact error your seeing..

If your getting an error about permissions, then your permissions are set wrong - its that simple.. There are share permissions there are file permissions.  If you have access to the share, and can copy a file where you write on your local machine comes down to file permissions... Show us the permissions and we can figure out what the problem is..