Terrible Samsung customer service after a failed repair of my Odyssey G9 Neo

On 26 October, I reported to Samsung about some glitching I was getting with my monitor that I was able to confirm with an Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti and an AMD 7900 XTX.

It is exactly this behavior:

Oct 26

It was recommended to do it via WhatsApp https://www.samsung.com/nl/support/repair/booking/ so I gave all the information at 10:45am and after a bot decided I needed to talk to a human, an hour and a half later I was messaged to provide more details, which I did.. anyway at a certain point it was requested to upload a picture of the problem, which I did, and then the support person stopped responding. I waited for half an hour and then decided to try booking a repair online which was successful.

I told the support person who messaged me an hour and a half after requesting a photo that I booked it online. I received email confirmation minutes after booking the repair

image.png

Nov 2

Samsung sent a service called "CE Repair" from Dordrecht to repair my monitor on Thursday, November 2.

He came and replaced the motherboard and then left (He did not run any diagnostics or anything) that's when I first noticed something was up

image.jpeg

No Model code, and no serial number

But then I connected it to the other PC with the Nvidia RTX 4070Ti and the screen is no longer G Sync compatible

image.png

• HDR no longer works
  • Local Dimming cannot be set (keeps returning to OFF)

Plus, to top things off, the original problem (video at the top of this post) is still there.

Nov 4

So on Saturday Nov 4 ,I again went on WhatsApp to inform them that the repair was failure, and I was told that I could not book a new repair because the previous repair that was completed on Thursday Nov 2 was still "open" and to try again on Monday.

Nov 6

image.png

I sent a message on 2:49pm and although the above image is in Dutch, you can see I did not get a response at all.

Nov 7 (called Samsung at 2:54pm)

Eventually I tried calling them again yesterday and I managed to immediately get a woman on the phone (every other time I had to wait endlessly, one time 45 mins before I gave up) who was unable to find any details about the original repair, could not find any info based on the model number or serial number, when that is something they warn to have handy when calling Samsung. Eventually, after about 15 minutes she was able to retrieve some information based on my email address that was used for the repair, not my email address that is registered with Samsung (which is different) and she asked if I was available tomorrow all day for someone to come out and repair it. I said I was, relief!

No email confirmation came.

Nov 8

I am up at 8am (because they can come from 8am) and I still have not received email confirmation or an SMS for a time window.

It's now 1PM and I am calling again to find out if someone will actually come. Again I immediately manage to get someone straight away, who after I explained that I did not get an email confirmation for the repair, she says "oh the email can take up to three working days" (Such BS! I did an online repair and the email confirmation, not the actual booking, came within minutes, I point this out politely) to which she also tells me that no-one was coming today, and "she shouldn't have said that". Now all she could say is that it was planned for repair, but not able to tell me when someone can come out.

I am having to call for this second repair because when I try to book it online the page says to call the service number "to assist further" So now I have to wait until Monday to see if this email arrives to book a new repair that they made worse than it was originally. It is like everyone, including the guy who came out to "fix" my monitor have no idea what they're doing.

That service for a €1300 monitor still under warranty.

On 08/11/2023 at 18:44, Steven P. said:

That service for a €1300 monitor still under warranty.

This right here is what can make any sane person rage, and rightly should. And we aren't even talking about a no-name Chinese company here.

• Like 2

they should have just sent you a new monitor and told you return the old one... why do we have to take a long drawn out approach to this stuff

and this specific issue seems to happen a LOT on Samsung monitors.....

• 4 weeks later...

Nov 9 update: I forgot to update this that on Nov 9, they finally agreed to pick it up, but not until Nov 15. They could not send an experienced tech to come repair it, despite me asking for this.

Dec 5 update: So three weeks after they finally picked it up again on Nov 15 Samsung have now said it was sent to the wrong repair center.. but only because I kept contacting them and demanding to know why it is taking so long. I am guessing they sent it to the place that fixes TVs because that's how they kept referencing it in the email repair log.

It is apparently at the right place from today and finally being looked at 3 weeks after it was picked up.

It apparently took Samsung to start investigating why it was taking so long, because the CERepair people were quite happy to leave it chucked in a corner at the wrong repair center, which is the same place a "nice lady" told me on the phone at CERepair Dordrecht, when I called them directly to ask why it was taking so long, she said "pff I dunno when it will be repaired!" At that point my monitor was already at the wrong repair station. No wonder they have such a low Trustpilot score.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 05/12/2023 at 18:58, Mindovermaster said:

"wrong repair center" And they told you to send it there, right? Morons..

No it gets worse, they picked it up themselves, and brought it to the wrong repair center. (the people Samsung have contracted, who are f***ing terrible). Just look at the complaints https://www.trustpilot.com/review/cerepair.nl

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Steven P. changed the title to Terrible Samsung customer service after a failed repair of my Odyssey G9 Neo

Updates:

Dec 7 (Thursday)

Received an email from CEREpair that no action was taken because they couldn't find a fault with it, their "technician" made a note saying "it's probably client's video card"

They didn't confirm that:

• They programmed the motherboard, fixing the model nr identification, which probably fixes GSync certification, Local Dimming, HDR, or the missing serial number

I sent an email reply stating that the problems were evident on a 7900 XTX as well as a 4070 Ti. I also told them that my backup screen (ASUS VP32UQ) connected to the same video card exhibits no such issues, and HDR can be enabled on and off, unlike the Odyssey G9 Neo with the unprogrammed motherboard.

I also sent them a link to a video I made and uploaded with timestamps of the original complaint (the glitches) everything else was introduced by them. 

Same issue, filmed by someone else:

Same issue filmed by me:

• from 00:29 center left
  • from 00:48 roughly same place
  • from 00:56 left of the clock
  • from 01:11 top left/center portion
  • from 01:21 left of login

Today Dec 12:

I have yet to receive a reply from CERepair since Thursday, Samsung have contacted me via DM twice since Thursday (Saturday and just now) to ask if CERepair have contacted me.

On 12/12/2023 at 16:44, Joni_78 said:

I was just about to buy this monitor as it is around 1000€ now. Well Samsung lost one customer now.

TBF the fail here is about who Samsung have contracted to carry out the monitor repairs.

However, it does not explain away the very low Trustpilot score CERepair have, with a lot of angry and disappointed customers, and the fact Samsung continue to use them.

When the battery in my Galaxy S8 started expanding, I was just on the verge of the two year warranty, and I got a full refund, which is great service. Longer ago (2014) a Samsung technician came out and replaced a TV panel that exhibited a kind of plasma "burnt in effect" (although it was a brand new LCD TV). Both times I was helped quickly and by Samsung directly.

On 12/12/2023 at 19:46, Steven P. said:

TBF the fail here is about who Samsung have contracted to carry out the monitor repairs.

However, it does not explain away the very low Trustpilot score CERepair have, with a lot of angry and disappointed customers, and the fact Samsung continue to use them.

When the battery in my Galaxy S8 started expanding, I was just on the verge of the two year warranty, and I got a full refund, which is great service. Longer ago (2014) a Samsung technician came out and replaced a TV panel that exhibited a kind of plasma "burnt in effect" (although it was a brand new LCD TV). Both times I was helped quickly and by Samsung directly.

I know. I once had similar experience with Sony TV. It's just that I've never heard that they repair monitors these days. Usually if it's still under warranty you just send it back to store and they send you a new one.

But anyway I started to think that it may be only those manufacturers who also make TV's and have world wide repair networks. If you buy a Dell monitor or something maybe then you'll just get a new monitor and don't have to deal with this repair stuff.

Dec 15 update

More than a week later I finally received a response from the awful CERepair

15122023_115830.png

Machine translated

Dear Mr. Parker,

Our technician states the following:

The complaint description received by us states that HDR does not work and the device is no longer G-Sync compatible, which we have not been able to reproduce as both functions work properly with us (see photos taken in the workshop).

image.png
image.png

The device works properly and meets the specifications. HDR and G-Sync tested with HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4.

Best regards,
DEanne

So it took them more than a week to repeat what they told me a week ago, while leaving stuff out (again) and not even commenting on the original complaint I first contacted Samsung for, and has not been fixed.

My answer:

15122023_115956.png

Machine translated:

Hello,

Please comment on the original complaint I filmed more than a week ago and emailed to you. Also, it was not possible to set Local Dimming to automatic, it went out every time, I am convinced that this happened after the motherboard was replaced, because I did not have the following complaints before the motherboard was replaced.

• Wasn’t possible to turn on HDR (well? Okay then)
  • It was not possible to turn on Local Dimming (went off itself)
  • Nvidia Control Panel indicated that the display is not GSync compatible (That was the complaint, not that GSync could not turn on)
  • Model number unknown in OSD menu
  • Serial number not known in OSD menu

Moreover, the original complaint has not been resolved, I explained this in detail in the previous mail, I would like to receive feedback on it... why does this all take so long, also because it seems as if you do not understand or Investigate the original complaint!

With kind regards,
Steven

I sent copies of the emails to Samsung DM on Twitter asking how much longer I have to wait on these jokers, here's the response:

image.png

Translated

"Hi Steven I haven't received an update yet, so I can't send any new highlights."

So she hasn't got anything after a week either, GREAT! /s

• Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1

Dec 20 update:

CERepair finally called me to confirm if they can deliver my monitor on Saturday 23rd, 5 weeks after they picked it up on Nov 15. I did not go into any details about the repair because at this point I already knew the telephone number was "planning" (or logistics) and all they can do is read off any paperwork.

Considering I did not get a single reply to my emails reaffirming the actual problems (see previous post) I can only assume they either:

1. Decided to actually fix it based off the email replies I sent (or because Samsung intervened)
  2. Just went with what their "technician" said and didn't actually fix it at all (which means they could try to bill me for a no fault repair)

I've already contacted Samsung on DM asking what I should do if the screen still has the faults, because remember.. initially I contacted them for one fault (screen glitching) and CERepair introduced more faults because they did not program the replaced motherboard properly.

What a journey!

Unless they arrive earlyish on Saturday, I won't be able to setup and test the screen until Sunday, because there's football and then in the evening I have a dinner appointment.

Dec 22 update:

Okay, now I'm really angry. I just received a call from CERepair (088-3425200) that the delivery of my monitor is cancelled, "because it is in Dordrecht" they only now just found out, after several return confirmations on email and SMS. They're a joke, what a bunch of amateurs. 

I am now convinced that it also isn't even repaired as well, but I no longer have an NVIDIA card, so that's annoying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 22/12/2023 at 11:02, Steven P. said:

Dec 22 update:

Okay, now I'm really angry. I just received a call from CERepair (088-3425200) that the delivery of my monitor is cancelled, "because it is in Dordrecht" they only now just found out, after several return confirmations on email and SMS. They're a joke, what a bunch of amateurs. 

I am now convinced that it also isn't even repaired as well, but I no longer have an NVIDIA card, so that's annoying.

Dude, I purchased and received the Samsung - Odyssey G7 28” 4K UHD last week, and I have been kind of freaking out after reading your experience here because right after connecting the monitor for the first time, I immediately noticed the exact same distortion issue you showed here. However, my problem went away after I removed my KDM switch and connected the monitor directly to the computer. I also made sure my Displayport cable is 1.4 compatible. 

I also have an Nvidia Card, and I'm crossing fingers, that issues don't start appearing after my return window has ended.

Good luck, Steven, I hope you get your monitor fixed soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2023 at 11:02, Steven P. said:

Dec 22 update:

I am wondering if Samsung hired teenagers as technicians? how dumb they are, my goodness.

• 2 weeks later...

January 7 update

So I finally got my monitor back on Wednesday, January 3rd. I am pleased to report there are no new scratches or anything when I half expected it, considering how crap CERepair is.

I immediately was able to confirm that they still did not program in the Model Code or Serial number

image.jpeg

I made it very clear to them about this on email and on the telephone

But the actual underlying issue and reason I first contacted Samsung is also still there, but now it seems worse:

The issue only happens when the screen has been put into a sleep state by Windows, so when locking my PC, and also only after a certain amount of time.. (it might not flicker like this after being asleep for 20 mins, and be fine)

Today was the first time I saw it again, because I was tired I went upstairs for an hour nap, when I came back down and unlocked the PC, well the video is what I found. Since wednesday I had locked it for different periods like 20 mins, half an hour, just short of an hour, but today was more than an hour which resulted in the flickering that I reported at the end of October to Samsung.

The only way to "fix" that issue is by manually turning off the screen and turning it back on again, after which it is immediately okay again. With the RTX 4070 Ti Nvidia card that I had (and have now sold) doing a driver restart was enough to fix the issue (ctrl + win + shift + b) but that does not work on my AMD card.

I have reported all this to Samsung again.

And this is why I don't buy Samsung anything.  Appliances are ######, TVs are ###### (long live Zenith! ###### LG), and phones are ######.

On 08/01/2024 at 00:23, Matthew S. said:

And this is why I don't buy Samsung anything.  Appliances are ######, TVs are ###### (long live Zenith! ###### LG), and phones are ######.

Samsung is really bad... but I have an old lg from 2011 that is still going strong after using it daily, same with other moremodern lg monitors.

On 08/01/2024 at 01:30, Arceles said:

Samsung is really bad... but I have an old lg from 2011 that is still going strong after using it daily, same with other moremodern lg monitors.

I'm gonna slightly guess that all modern LG's are actually Zeniths 😛 they bought Zenith out after all.

I updated Samsung with direct messages on Sunday, but only a bot confirmed the messages up until now, nothing yesterday..

Lots of "I'm sorry" and "we're investigating" between November and last week, but at this point the words mean nothing without any real action on their part.

This whole thing really shows how they prioritize helping their customers /s

January 10th update:

Samsung finally answered on Twitter, and honestly f*ck this company 😡

machine translated on the left) 

image.pngimage.png

K the same person tweeted back that they read the recent message history and will discuss internally the next steps.