Outdate Mac OS 10.7.5 question

Does anyone know if there is some kind of mod or community where they keep patching this outdated version of Mac OS? I have an old laptop that I want to keep it as vanilla as possible from the original OS that was shipped with but at the same time would like to see if there is some kind of mod that keep some components updated. I also have Final Cut Pro 6.5 in it and don't want to upgrade it.

On 12/05/2024 at 13:44, adrynalyne said:

OpenCore Legacy Patcher. 

I don't want to upgrade to the latest OS... I want to keep it with 10.7 but wants to upgrade core components like the browser.

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 10:48, macoman said:

I don't want to upgrade to the latest OS... I want to keep it with 10.7 but wants to upgrade core components like the browser.

You can’t, the browser was tied to OS updates back then. All updates were. 

On 12/05/2024 at 13:49, adrynalyne said:

You can’t, the browser was tied to OS updates back then. All updates were. 

So there is not mod out there that can update some components in this OS? Do you know if there is an antivirus software that is still active today that support 10.7?

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 10:54, macoman said:

So there is not mod out there that can update some components in this OS? Do you know if there is an antivirus software that is still active today that support 10.7?

I doubt it, it would require deconstructing macOS update packages from Apple annd extracting relevant parts, and even if it did, I wouldn’t trust it. 

As for antivirus, I have no idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

There were no viruses available for MacOS10.7, therefore no antivirus software. Even if there was a virus back in the day, you aren't going to come across it now.

FWIW ... I have a MacBook from 2009, currently running macOS Monterey 12.7.5 reasonably well thanks to OpenCOre Legacy Patcher (albeit with a few minor quirks) with a 3rd party SSD instead of the stock hard drive. I'm a bit reluctant to update it to macOS Ventura 13.x mainly due to the System Preferences app being replaced with the iOS style System Settings app, which I'm not keen on since I don't have (nor want) an iPhone. Although it does keep mithering me to update to macOS Sonoma 14.x

On 24/05/2024 at 16:50, DJGM said:

FWIW ... I have a MacBook from 2009, currently running macOS Monterey 12.7.5 reasonably well thanks to OpenCOre Legacy Patcher (albeit with a few minor quirks) with a 3rd party SSD instead of the stock hard drive. I'm a bit reluctant to update it to macOS Ventura 13.x mainly due to the System Preferences app being replaced with the iOS style System Settings app, which I'm not keen on since I don't have (nor want) an iPhone. Although it does keep mithering me to update to macOS Sonoma 14.x

The problem is that the most of recent versions of OS X… the gui looks like a stripped out version of iOS. I don’t like it and also because I love the old school Final Cut 6.5… this is also the main reason I want to keep 10.7

You can use something like Arctic Fox or Chromium Legacy for the browser. That will help to make it a bit more usable in 2024. As for the rest I don't think there's much that can be updated.

As for antivirus, I've never used one on OS X. The main attack vector is your browser so keep java, flash and all that crap out of it and install an ad-blocker. Should be fine.

macOS 10.15 Catalina is the last version that retains that macOS look... macOS 11 Big Sur and newer has that iOS and iPadOS look...

So long as you have updated OS X Lion to the latest update available, there is not much you can do except install security software that still supports it... However, since Lion was last updated October 2012, I don't think any security software still supports it now... Same with browsers, other browsers may not be up to date to use with OS X Lion...

You can also try checking macrumors forum and see if there are macOS users that can help you...

Not sure of how much of a performance hit you will get, but get a latter / last Intel based macOS devices that can run current macOS and has a lot of HDD space.
Be careful, latter intel mac's storage can't be upgraded, but maybe from an external thunderbolt SSD device connected if you can't find one with a lot of internal storage.

Grab the now free VMWare fusion pro, and install the older macOS in a virtual machine with Final Cut.