How to boot from HDD ( HDD startup ) ?

I dont get this :s

When can it be used??! To install XP from a HDD?

585901078[/snapback]

yes, to install any OSs from DOS ;) , to install win XP by running SmartDRV.EXE then running the file which located at \i386\winnt.exe

We use this on some laptops that have no cd rom with them. If I'm in no hurry I skip the smartdrive part but it will take twice as long to install. I've even got laptops in that can't use usb in dos have no floppy or cd rom so I pop out the hard drive put it on my work server, fdisk, format then sys C:(you need a win 98 machine for this or use /s command at format ) so it will boot to a c prompt, make a directory I386, copy files over reinstall hard drive then run winnt from dos prompt, after cd to I386 of course.

Cody

Edited by cyoung1616

nice.. but who uses FAT32 anymore? this is the dawn of windows XP... everyone is on NTSC :p

nice.. but who uses FAT32 anymore?  this is the dawn of windows XP... everyone is on NTSC :p

585904952[/snapback]

If you have a small HDD ( 1 to 10 GB ) then convert it to FAT32, Its better to make it HDD StartUp. Besides NTFS format on this old HDDs will not make any difference in performance.

at least it has a funtion instead of throwing it. :D

or you can just install winxp on your new HDD using the DOS mode then convert the partition to NTFS by Partition Magic .. ( it won't take a minute )

If this is done will windows get installed on D:\ ?

And this should be much faster than the convetional cd install too... Thanks for the info :)

in autoexec.bat:

1- "EMM386.EXE" ( Google it )  <---this version needs to be compatible with the version of DOS that is on the drive

2- "HIMEM.SYS" ( Google it )  <---this version needs to be compatible with the version of DOS that is on the drive

goto %config%  <---this statement does what?

:end

if not "%ramdrive%"=="" %ramdrive%  <---this statement does what?

in config.sys:

FILES=50

DEVICE=C:\test\HIMEM.SYS

DOS=HIGH,UMB

DEVICE=C:\test\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

DOS=HIGH,UMB  <--- this is a duplicate - and will not do anything at all.[/color

the technically 'proper' way to do the config.sys is to have the device himem.sys and e,,386 lines first, dos=high,umb, next and Files=50 next.  With modern systems, additional lines may make the system faster as well, such as increasing the # buffers as well as increasing the number / size of the stacks allowed.  With anything over 128 MB make Files=100 at least.  You have the memory for it.

585829828[/snapback]

EDIT: Added the following:

I added commentary in red. Also be warned that this will be a painfully slow installation on modern machines as a 1 GB drive will almost *always* have a very low on-board cache, be more than likely a 5400 RPM drive, and will have slow access times.

Another thing to consider is what the poster above asked - about the drive letters being changed around and such....