PS3 - Optimistic views on programming

magik

Appart from the fact Sony just recently purchased Guerrial so their words can't be taken seriously.

:rofl: pwnt.

yankee lion

Appart from the fact Sony just recently purchased Guerrial so their words can't be taken seriously.

Everyone's a skeptic. :rofl:

firen

True but i'm pretty sure it has some truth to it..even Ninja Theory, makers of Heavenly Sword have said its not as hard as people believe it to be :/

:rofl: pwnt.

what are you, twelve?

eminem213486

im just surprised you guys arent bitchin about this comment ""All of this is already available and won't be a massive leap from what you're seeing on PCs with high-end graphics cards" thats a really low blow right there. something that he shouldnt have said about the ps3 especially when this dev is also programming for it.

Meshuggah

that Terminator WMV-HD actually doesnt work on xbox 360.....suprisingly

The Teej

Sure 20 mins could equal 4.7GB...if you tell the guys in 1993 to put this HD video on a DVD.

Toshiba is trying to make an HD-DVD Recorder DVD-RW compatible, which can fit a whopping 2 hours on there. 6x the size of Mr. Laymen over there stated.

EDIT: 2 hours is the size of a standard movie. Take that into consideration. He was trying to make a stab at the XBOX 360 DVD9 medium and it backfired.

Simple as.

mikebeech

what are you, twelve?

i think he was just trying to have a laugh ma:|:|

magik

what are you, twelve?

I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?!?!!!!1111 :rofl: :woot: :woot: :D :wacko: :wacko: :shiftyninja:

i think he was just trying to have a laugh man :|

Yes, thank you. Some people really need to mellow out, ya know? ;)

Spartan_X

1. i think ps3 will use mpeg2

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-enterta...decs-140423.php

2. i think the article is about the ps3 not the xbox 360 since the title is "Possession and the art of PS3 programming". the guy is saying that typical hd videos that we will have on bluray will take about 4.7gb of space for each 20 minutes

3. no the resolution is 1080

Blu-ray Disc To Support MPEG-4, VC-1

Blue-laser disc format's standard adopts new video codecs.

Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

Thursday, September 02, 2004

The Blu-ray Disc Association has added the MPEG-4 AVC and VC-1 video codecs to its specification for prerecorded Blu-ray Disc media, it says this week.

Blu-ray Disc is one of two formats vying to become the de facto optical disc standard for high-definition video.

As a result, the two codecs will form part of version 1.0 of the BD-ROM logical format, which is expected to be finalized later this year, says Richard Doherty, Panasonic Hollywood Labs' managing director of Blu-ray and professional A/V (audio/visual). The logical format specifies the way in which content is stored on the disc. The physical format, which concerns technical specifications for the disc itself, was already approved in July this year.

VC-1, the proposed Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers standard, is based on Microsoft's Windows Media 9 codec, and was previously called VC9, says Doherty. MPEG-4 AVC is based on the H.264 codec.

Greater Flexibility

All Blu-ray players will be required to support playback of MPEG-4 AVC and VC-1, in addition to MPEG-2. The main advantage of requiring two codecs to the specification is it allows greater flexibility to content providers to pack more content on a disc. This is because the newer codecs are more efficient at compressing data than the MPEG-2 codec that's used with the rewritable Blu-ray Disc format and so allow more video to be stored in the same amount of space.

In the case of a 25GB single-layer Blu-ray Disc, about two hours of video encoded in MPEG-2 at a data rate of between 23 megabits per second and 25 mbps can be stored, Doherty says. MPEG-2 is used in DVD-Video and the first generation of the rewritable version of the Blu-ray Disc format. In contrast, the two new codecs can achieve an equivalent quality of video at about half the data rate and so expand the 25GB disc's capacity to up to 4 hours, he says.

"There are other advantages to having two compression techniques," Doherty says. "Moving forward, the technologies can have competition to help drive down licensing fees and improve picture quality."

HD-DVD (High Definition/High Density-DVD), the main competitor to Blu-ray Disc, has already made the two codecs part of its standard for prerecorded discs. In June companies supporting HD-DVD trumpeted this as one of its advantages over Blu-ray Disc.

"With this adoption, all that [advantage] is gone," says Doherty.

Adoption of the advanced codecs in future versions of the BD-RE rewritable format depends as much on technology as standardization talks, says Doherty. High-definition broadcasting in Japan and the U.S. uses the MPEG2 format, and current recorders put this broadcast data stream directly onto the disc. Using one of the two new codecs would mean real-time hardware transcoding, and that's too difficult to do in a consumer-level machine at present, he says.

Blu-ray Disc comes from a group of 13 companies led by Sony and also including Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsu****a Electric Industrial (Panasonic), Mitsubishi Electric, Philips Electronics, Pioneer Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp, TDK, and Thomson Multimedia.

Source: PC World

as you can see, it's part of the "standard" not just the PS3 implementation of the Blu-Ray drive... unless Sony is planning to ship a cripple drive with the PS3 to "reduce costs" :blink: :unsure: :wacko: :| :rolleyes:

I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?!?!!!!1111 :rofl: :woot: :woot: :D :wacko: :wacko: :shiftyninja:

Yes, thank you. Some people really need to mellow out, ya know? ;)

yeah, some people on this forum have no sense of humor... :cry:

btw, where I'd seem that many smilies on a post before? :laugh: :rofl: :p :unsure: :huh: :shifty: ;) :whistle:

iconboy

hey Threedaysdwn, how did u change your name? I thought they didnt allow that?! Hehehe, for a sec there i got into the thread and thought "Who the hell is this Brandon guy? And why is he copying Threedaysdwn!?" Suffice it to say that This Brandon was gunna be on the recieving end of a strongly worded letter, until i put two and two together and now im kinda mad at Brandon and you, Threedaysdwn!

dun dun duuuuuuuun! ::shifty eyes::

mikebeech

hey Threedaysdwn, how did u change your name? I thought they didnt allow that?!

he has special powers :shiftyninja:

Brandon Live

Yes, I clicked the "magical" button that says Change display name :p

mikebeech

lmao :rofl:

magik

It's spelled: magikal :p