Retail DVD use OEM key?

I got a legal copy of Vista ultimate for being a beta tester, and bought a new laptop with Vista pre-installed. I want to format the laptop, but it didn't come with any installation DVD, can I use my retail DVD with the OEM key?

it does have a recovery partition, but it just restores the system to the default state, with all the bloat ware installed...so I would rather use my retail dvd with oem dvd key...

well i guess you cna just test it, put in the retail dvd and try your OEM key and see, you don't have to go the final step to make Vista install again.

I'm not sure about Vista, but with XP an OEM key will not work with a retail disk.

but with XP there was a way to convert an XP Retail disk to an OEM disk and vice -versa, not sure if Vista disks work the same way.

I got a legal copy of Vista ultimate for being a beta tester, and bought a new laptop with Vista pre-installed. I want to format the laptop, but it didn't come with any installation DVD, can I use my retail DVD with the OEM key?

My question is why don't you just use your retail key with your retail DVD? It makes no sense if you have a free version of vista why you are worried about reusing the one from your laptop?!

Companies do not send recovery discs anymore because you can create them yourself now. Why don't you do this. Uninstall all the software you are not going to use, trial version programs, trial version games, etc. Then I believe if you go to Start > Programs (I don't have Vista, so don't flame me for this). Somehow get to your programs list and find something like Recovery software, or go to Windows Explorer and under Program Files see if you find a Recovery software so you can make your discs, after that, then try the DVD you got for being a beta tester and if it doesnt work, pop the recovery discs you created and install Vista again.

What is the model #?

And yes like someone already mentioned before, OEM and RETAIL are totally different keys. I doubt it will work.

/EZ

I'm not sure about Vista, but with XP an OEM key will not work with a retail disk.

but with XP there was a way to convert an XP Retail disk to an OEM disk and vice -versa, not sure if Vista disks work the same way.

How do you convert a XP retail disk to OEM?

My question is why don't you just use your retail key with your retail DVD? It makes no sense if you have a free version of vista why you are worried about reusing the one from your laptop?!

Because retail Vista key is on my desktop and Vista Basic OEM for my laptop.....

it worked, my retail DVD accepted the OEM key and was ready to install!

Yeah, Vista is different bc I hear the Home & Ultimate install disc are basically the same, will automatically install according to your key type. (unlike xp .. but you simply change a text file in xp install.. just a few numbers and it can accept oem or retail keys. That's what I used to do till I got hands on a OEM disk)

You should get product id: xxxx-OEM-xxxx....

Don't have hands on retail disk, but I used an RTM to try on my laptop but can't activate. I could try to call in.

Did yours activate over internet?

Yeah, Vista is different bc I hear the Home & Ultimate install disc are basically the same, will automatically install according to your key type. (unlike xp .. but you simply change a text file in xp install.. just a few numbers and it can accept oem or retail keys. That's what I used to do till I got hands on a OEM disk)

You should get product id: xxxx-OEM-xxxx....

Don't have hands on retail disk, but I used an RTM to try on my laptop but can't activate. I could try to call in.

Did yours activate over internet?

All Vista discs are identical, regardless of retail, OEM, volume, etc. The only thing that matters is what type of key you input. You could use a disc labeled Vista Home Basic, input your Ultimate key (retail or OEM), and Vista Ultimate would install just fine.

Have you tried that method yourself? I tried it multiple times and it doesn't work.

It works. I've done it many times to make the discs I needed to install for my clients. I like to use power iso because you can make image from disc.. modify the file and save to iso... burn it back to blank disc. very simple. Eventually I got hands on orginal disc so I don't use that method anymore. Very useful for XP installations if you lose your recover, or want a clean install without all the bloated software and advertisements.

OR.

look up OEM scan (google it).

It works. I've done it many times to make the discs I needed to install for my clients. I like to use power iso because you can make image from disc.. modify the file and save to iso... burn it back to blank disc. very simple. Eventually I got hands on orginal disc so I don't use that method anymore. Very useful for XP installations if you lose your recover, or want a clean install without all the bloated software and advertisements.

OR.

look up OEM scan (google it).

Weird, it doesn't work for me. Are you doing this on a Windows XP Professional SP2 disc? Cuz that's what I'm using and it doesn't work. I got the image from MSDNAA.

Weird, it doesn't work for me. Are you doing this on a Windows XP Professional SP2 disc? Cuz that's what I'm using and it doesn't work. I got the image from MSDNAA.

Don't know about MSDNAA images, but should be identical. I use XP pro SP2 disc.

one file(under i386 dir): setupp.ini

only edit the last 3 numbers:

Retail = xxxxx335

Volume License = xxxxx270

OEM = xxxxxOEM

guaranteed to work or your money back :D