.NET Framework

Zlain

Urm, do I need these updates to my computer. In Microsoft Update, it gives my version 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 to install. Do I need all three, or should I just install the latest version? Can anyone explain to me what they do? Thanks in advance!

night_stalker_z

Install .Net 2 if you know you have programs which need to use it otherwise the program will give you a link to the .Net site.

Xenomorph

if you have a program written in just 2.0, then you'd need 2.0 to run it.

it wont use 3.0 or 1.1.

it's the same with a program written with 1.1. having 2.0 or 3.0 wont work for it.

personally, i keep them all installed - that way any .NET program runs.

and if you have Vista, you already have them installed as well.

night_stalker_z

You can .Net 1.1 programs using .Net 2. I think only the Oracle db stuff is broken.

Zlain

Okay, I wont install it then. I don't think I need it for the moment. Thanks for your help.

soldier1st

only install .net if an app needs it but if u do install it then install all 3.

tao muon

Since you obviously have bits of those .NET frameworks installed already, it's better that you install the updates than not. The updates include security fixes and the like. You'd be surprised how many programs use .NET- particularly audio / video and the like.

Zlain
Since you obviously have bits of those .NET frameworks installed already, it's better that you install the updates than not. The updates include security fixes and the like. You'd be surprised how many programs use .NET- particularly audio / video and the like.

Yes true, but I wanted to save some space on my computer. I still have 93% left, but thats only because I was forced to reformat a while back. I use to have something like 40% left, so this time around I am trying to cut down on what I download. These updates take up a lot of space which is frustrating.

Mordkanin
You can .Net 1.1 programs using .Net 2. I think only the Oracle db stuff is broken.

Most installers will fail when you have 2.0, but it wants 1.1.

+LogicalApex
if you have a program written in just 2.0, then you'd need 2.0 to run it.

it wont use 3.0 or 1.1.

it's the same with a program written with 1.1. having 2.0 or 3.0 wont work for it.

personally, i keep them all installed - that way any .NET program runs.

and if you have Vista, you already have them installed as well.

A lot of what you posted is not accurate...

.NET supports side by side installs so you can install all 3 yes... But unless the application written on it needs something specific to the version it was written on you don't need to install the older version. The majority of .NET 1.x applications will run on .NET 2.0 without a problem...

.NET 3.0 isn't a CLR update (it only adds stuff on top of .NET 2.0 CLR) so unless you must have .NET 1.x I would install .NET 3.0 only and you'll have the capability of all of them...

Vista only includes .NET 3.0 out of the box...

Puggsley

^ Thats correct

The problem with that is the if you have 2.0 installed and the program needs 1.1 then a lot of installers can't detect 2.0 and install 1.1 as well even though its not required

Athlonite
Yes true, but I wanted to save some space on my computer. I still have 93% left, but thats only because I was forced to reformat a while back. I use to have something like 40% left, so this time around I am trying to cut down on what I download. These updates take up a lot of space which is frustrating.

ok if you want to save space but have all the updates loaded here's what you do go into control panel and open up the folder options icon under the VIEW tab tick these box's and click apply

box 1: Display the contents of system folders

box 2: show hidden files and folders

UNTICK these

box 1: Hide extensions for know file types

box 2: Hide protected operating system file (recommended) you'll need to click on yes when a dialog pops up

click apply and ok ... now go into the windows directory and you'll see all of the windows update uninstall folders for the updates now select these and press delete and you'll save about 200MB

Zlain
click apply and ok ... now go into the windows directory and you'll see all of the windows update uninstall folders for the updates now select these and press delete and you'll save about 200MB

Yes, this can also be done through Ccleaner. But I'm unsure about doing this because I read somewhere that when you do this, if something did go wrong with an update, you would be unable to uninstall it. Would it be possible to backup these files on a USB stick, and then if a problem like this did re-occur, I could then restore the files?

moonfleet

There are definitely some things that might be part of your computer's original manufacturer installation that use 1.1, which won't run if you should uninstall 1.1 just because you have .NET 2.0 installed. I like .NET personally, and I don't think it takes that much space on a hard drive that there's any need to worry about space. Just Paint.NET alone makes having .NET 2.0 worth it.

soldier1st

also the .net do take a few more resources but they seem more stable,also if u install the .net on a very old system it will slow down but if u install it on a fairly fast system it wont slow it down.