[official] HD DVD Confirmed News

Well, it's Friday and here, Best-Buy and FutureShop changes their price/specials on Friday. I was hoping to see low price on HD-DVD movies.... WRONG! The Toshiba A-3 is now $99 and the A-30 is $149.

But all the movies are at their normal price, ranging from $25 to $40 (for combo HD-DVD/DVD movies). Most are floating in the $32. No deals, no price cuts, nothing...

And looking at Amazon.CA and it's the same story, no deals, no huge price cut.

Those red box are going to stay on the shelf if they don't lower the price!

Well, it's Friday and here, Best-Buy and FutureShop changes their price/specials on Friday. I was hoping to see low price on HD-DVD movies.... WRONG! The Toshiba A-3 is now $99 and the A-30 is $149.

But all the movies are at their normal price, ranging from $25 to $40 (for combo HD-DVD/DVD movies). Most are floating in the $32. No deals, no price cuts, nothing...

And looking at Amazon.CA and it's the same story, no deals, no huge price cut.

Those red box are going to stay on the shelf if they don't lower the price!

Anyone think the hardware may tumble, but software not?

Would the studios who released the software not have a say in the prices? I know that sounds daft but you must get my drift.

Toshiba can do what they want with the hardware as the own it, but they don't "own" the movies.

Of course independent retailers can either attempt to slash software prices, or they may even just dump the software altogether.

I think we might see HD DVD removed from shops a lot quicker than some people think. It's a completely dead format, I just don't see nice HD DVD sales now lasting months in the retail end - Maybe online.

I can see shops wanting to get rid of everything asap and start stocking more Blu Ray - Even if shops have their own sales, sales will probably not really pickup, it's a completely dead format and if you buy HD DVD movies, you'll need to keep your HD DVD player around forever - If it dies, I doubt you'll find another one easily in 3-4 years time.

Not to mention taking movies round to your mates may be difficult in a few months time as you'll need to find other people with an HD DVD player, unless you lug your player around with you.

My local Best-Buy store did a drastic move! They cleared the place of HD-DVD. Gone! Pouff! Bye bye.... They removed everything and put more Blu-Ray movies.

No fire sale, nothing....

I'm thinking Paramount had it all planned. Somehow. They cashed in those 150 million dollar, and all those Blu-rays they were holding, are suddenly coming back to life.

The bastards!

My local Best-Buy store did a drastic move! They cleared the place of HD-DVD. Gone! Pouff! Bye bye.... They removed everything and put more Blu-Ray movies.

No fire sale, nothing....

I thought some places might do that.

Reason being, buying into a dead format regardless of how "cheap" it may be, is not a win-win situation.

It's a win-lose situation.

Gives you short term entertainment and movies, but as time passes on, it becomes a burden and may lead to movies being repurchased on Blu Ray.

I'm thinking Paramount had it all planned. Somehow. They cashed in those 150 million dollar, and all those Blu-rays they were holding, are suddenly coming back to life.

The bastards!

If money was involved which it probably was, those who went HD DVD exclusive will be laughing.

As long as Toshiba had no exit clause, such as "if our format fails in 6 months, you need to pay us half of the money back".

Shame really, just shows you how much money Toshiba will have lost.