PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

Whats the main difference in the different Java versions?

Hate to quote myself, but have not heard an answer, and it seems this latest version of UMS is causing some weirdness on my end. I Just installed the Java 7 version, but wondering if I should have installed the Java 8 version. I am on Windows 8.

Hate to quote myself, but have not heard an answer, and it seems this latest version of UMS is causing some weirdness on my end. I Just installed the Java 7 version, but wondering if I should have installed the Java 8 version. I am on Windows 8.

I'm not actually sure. I have windows 8, but Java 7 installed. I think it's for people who have Java 8 installed for whatever reason.

I'm still running 4.10 just now so can't comment on weirdness :(

I'm not actually sure. I have windows 8, but Java 7 installed. I think it's for people who have Java 8 installed for whatever reason.

I'm still running 4.10 just now so can't comment on weirdness :(

Thanks, that is what I figured, but wondered if there was any difference in stability or performance between the 2 versions. I am still on Java 7 myself.

I was still back on 3.6 something, had not updated in awhile as that was rock solid for me, but very recently I found a few .mkv files that were not playing properly which usually would be fixed if I updated this app, so updated to this latest version.

My PS3 just never saw anything, no folders, no files, nothing, and eventually timed out. Triple checked and all settings are good, as are my shared folders. Sure enough when I tried 3.6, same deal.

I then restarted my computer (had been up for like 45 days) and it took like 20 minutes to restart, was very alarming, and when I tried the 3.6, worked right away, tried this new version, same deal, nothing. Then once again nothing with 3.6.

So it is just weird as I said. The second time I had to restart my computer restarted right away and I was back to the desktop in 15-20 seconds right away, so I just stuck with 3.6 and decided to just watch an older movie not to tempt fate.

So yeah, just weird. I may try to reinstall soon and see what is up.

Thanks, that is what I figured, but wondered if there was any difference in stability or performance between the 2 versions. I am still on Java 7 myself.

I was still back on 3.6 something, had not updated in awhile as that was rock solid for me, but very recently I found a few .mkv files that were not playing properly which usually would be fixed if I updated this app, so updated to this latest version.

My PS3 just never saw anything, no folders, no files, nothing, and eventually timed out. Triple checked and all settings are good, as are my shared folders. Sure enough when I tried 3.6, same deal.

I then restarted my computer (had been up for like 45 days) and it took like 20 minutes to restart, was very alarming, and when I tried the 3.6, worked right away, tried this new version, same deal, nothing. Then once again nothing with 3.6.

So it is just weird as I said. The second time I had to restart my computer restarted right away and I was back to the desktop in 15-20 seconds right away, so I just stuck with 3.6 and decided to just watch an older movie not to tempt fate.

So yeah, just weird. I may try to reinstall soon and see what is up.

Did you do a clean install of the app? There's a check box to do that - You can't come from 3.x to 4.x keeping your settings saved sadly. Too many changes were made.

Did you do a clean install of the app? There's a check box to do that - You can't come from 3.x to 4.x keeping your settings saved sadly. Too many changes were made.

I did not do a clean install nope.

However last night I wound up playing around with some settings in this latest one just to see what was up, and it looks like it works now. So that was probably it. A corrupt config file that fixed itself because I made some manual changes.

Thanks AB.

I did not do a clean install nope.

However last night I wound up playing around with some settings in this latest one just to see what was up, and it looks like it works now. So that was probably it. A corrupt config file that fixed itself because I made some manual changes.

Thanks AB.

Yeah the config file would have gone crazy from 3.x to 4.x. Whatever you've done may have reset it and kept your settings, bonus :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can this transcode h265/hevc?

I was thinking once content shifts towards that it would become a common thing to do since it will take time for people to switch to h265 capable devices. I tried streaming some h265 videos to my TV but they aren't being transcoded. I couldn't find any conf things related to that.

Universal Media Server v4.1.3: Mac OS X (Java 7) / Mac OS X (Java 8) :: Windows (Java 7) / Windows (Java 8) :: Linux (Java 7) / Linux (Java 8)

This release fixes Xbox One support, improves browsing speed, network performance, file support and more!

• General:
    • Improved default settings for smoother playback on wired and wireless networks
    • Made FFmpeg more reliable when transcoding embedded subtitles
    • Enabled file cache by default
    • Updated logo (subtle)
    • Improved cache handling
    • Disabled FFmpeg deferring to MEncoder for subtitles by default
    • Fixed thumbnails on some Samsung TVs
    • Fixed general bugs
  • Renderers:
    • Fixed unnecessary high CPU usage on LG TVs (thanks, amalic!)
    • Fixed support for Sony Home Theatre Systems
    • Fixed support for Xbox One
    • Improved support for Samsung UE ES6575 TVs
  • Languages:
    • Updated Czech translation
    • Updated French translation (thanks, Kirvx!)

Just an update, this latest version 4.1.3, as highlighted by the very first line in the release notes, does make UMS work with the XBox One now.

The thing I could not help but notice right away though is it does not appear that the true DTS audio stream is making it through, that the One is doing its own thing with the audio.

What I mean by this is my receivers display changes displaying the audio source accordingly.

When I use UMS on my PS3, and a file supports or includes it, the DTS comes through untouched and my receiver actually changes to read DTS.

When I check out a movie on my One that I know supports DTS as my PS3 is confirming it, my receiver does not change and just stays on the audio setting the one was already outputting.

So while it is no doubt nice to have another option with the XBox One, as 85% of the reason I am keeping my PS3 hooked up is for UMS and the DTS audio it is capable of streaming, I will be sticking to using the PS3 for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps I need to change some settings on my XBox One itself, I am not dismissing this, however I had to change a decent amount of settings on it just to output the best audio possible, so I am very hesitant to change any of those settings just for DTS via UMS.

Fingers crossed the PS4 follows in 3's footsteps with support and DTS works fine Larry. I too would keep using the PS3 if DTS didn't work.

• 2 months later...

Universal Media Server v4.3.0: Mac OS X / Windows / Linux

(All versions listed are for Java 8. If you can't do Java 8, goto UniversalMediaServer.com and download a version you can use under the "advanced downloads options" section)

This release adds the ability to transcode to H.265, adds and improves support for many renderers and files, fixes bugs and more!

• General:
    • Added the ability to transcode to H.265
    • Improved filename prettifying
    • Improved support for many formats and codecs
    • Fixed VLC engine
    • Formatted the default renderer file
  • Renderers:
    • Added support for LG UB820V TVs
    • Added support for Logitech Squeezebox
    • Fixed video aspect ratios on Philips and Sony TVs
    • Improved support for Hama IR320
    • Improved support for LG LM660 TVs
    • Improved support for Netgem N7700
    • Improved support for Roku 3
    • Improved support for Samsung EH6070 TVs
    • Improved support for Samsung H4500 TVs
    • Improved support for Samsung HU7000 TVs
    • Improved support for Samsung HU9000 TVs
    • Improved support for Xbox 360
  • Languages:
    • Updated Dutch translation (thanks, leroy!)

Universal Media Server v4.3.1: OS X / Windows / Linux

(All links are for Java 8. If you can't do Java 8 then go to UniversalMediaServer.com and download a Java 7 or 6 version from the "advanced download options" section.)

This release fixes a startup crash and adds/improves support for several renderers!

• General:
    • Windows installer removes deprecated renderer files
    • Fixed a startup crash
  • Renderers:
    • Added support for Hisense K680 TVs
    • Added support for Samsung F5505 TVs
    • Improved support for LG LS5700 TVs (thanks, AngelShine!)
    • Improved support for Panasonic S60 Series TVs
    • Improved support for Samsung WiseLink devices
    • Improved support for Sony Bravia HX75 Series TVs

Upgrade Notes:

For versions below 4.2.1:
In 4.2.1 we renamed many of the renderer configuration files, so we recommend clearing the "renderers" folder before updating.

so i read back a bit and saw that UMS "officially" supports Cinavia removal.  I downloaded and installed it, however Cinavia still showed up on my PS3 :(.  Are there any special configurations i need to be aware of?  

looking around, i also read that UMS doesnt support Cinavia removal due to legal issues... Can anyone please assist?  Much appreciated!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just curious has anyone tried UMS on Windows 10??

If so any issues?

Truth be told right now I only use my Windows computer as a UMS server with the occasional light gaming here and there, so if and when I upgrade to 10, I need to know UMS works or I will not even bother.

• 2 months later...

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and having now UMS no longer detects my PS3 so i can't see it on there. Anyone else have this and if so how did you fix it?

edit: it turned out to do with the network interface being reset when i installed VMWare (because it added its own interfaces)

Edited by red.

• 2 months later...

Work on this is still plodding along - http://www.universalmediaserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5679

I went from an Amazon Fire TV to a Raspberry PI 2 and now a Nvidia Shield TV. The shield is absolutely fantastic with Kodi. Plays everything, is super fast and can even do 10bit encodes (albeit it via software decoding but it's with a perfect framerate).

I'm using my PI 2 as a NAS now.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone wondering how UMS is working now on a PS4 it is almost flawless. I didn't change any settings from the default install and it's on my list on the PS4 and playing my videos!

• DrunknMunky featured and unpinned this topic