PSP Won't Turn On.

I was given a PSP from a friend on mine who is now in the army. I received it with a standard 1800mAh battery and no memory stick. I booted it up a few times here and there to see how it was but I never really had any need for the thing until now. (CRISIS CORE IS COMING!! WOOT!)

But now theres a problem... It doesn't turn on anymore. I attempted to charge it using a USB cord from both my PC and my PS2 but neither had any effect. So I figured it was the battery.

So I bought a new 2200mAh battery today, it still doesn't work!

: /

I know nothing about the machine. I don't have a manual and I've actually never played a game on one before. From what I could tell, it seemed to work fine a couple months ago when I turned it on last. It just went to a menu and I was amazed by the screen quality. Now there is nothing. No lights, no noise, nothing.

Help?

tried charging from the power adaptor?

does the light go on for 10~secs then shut off?

possibly bricked? (if so there is a fix called the pandoras battery hack)

I don't have a power adapter. It came to me pretty bare.

No lights ever.

I did stumble across the pandora thing on youtube but I really doubt it's bricked. I turned it on and then off b/c I knew the battery was low a while back and it has patiently set on a bookshelf since then.

I realize the new battery does not come charged. Would I be wrong to assume I can charge it using the USB cord from my PC?

It's an original PSP btw, not the slim.

First of all can you really charge thru USB (I don't think so :/ ). If you're battery was faulty when you bought new one did you charge that or did you just popped it in and tried to turn-on the PSP.

No you can't charge thru USB you need Power cord, go to nearest gamestop or ebgames see if they have any that you can buy or else ask you're friend to charge it for you.

You need a power adapter to charge or a special USB charging cable. Through the mini usb on the PSP will not charge it.

Sounds to be that the battery is dead and needs a charge. They will discharge overtime.

I thought that might be the problem.

My friend is bringing over two different types of DC/AC/whatever-there-called power adapters later but I need to find what voltage is acceptable to plug into it.

So far I've read 100-240 but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I don't want to mess it up.

I doubt the USB would charge it.. I don't have a PSP so i don't know 100% though.

Even though the USB provides 5volts, USB is still only around 500mA.. Which probably wouldn't be strong enough to charge it in the first place.

I'm willing to bet the battery is just low. So if ya have any friends that have a PSP, ask to use their charger, all you need is about 10-15 minutes to see if it charges (to test the battery), if it holds a charge you just need a wall adapter like this.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2639308 (though 30 bucks is high, you can probably get it cheaper at other stores)

or if you know anyone that has a volt meter/multimeter check it with that...

and battery packs usually aren't charged when you buy them from the store. For quality assurance i'm pretty sure they charge them for about 5 minutes, test the voltage, then test the voltage again in another 5 minutes to see if it holds the charge. And with a 3.3v Battery thats probably not enough time to get it up to operating voltage.

I'm fairly certain it's just a battery low problem, even with a bricked PSP the lights should still come on for Power.

Also as a side note... check the batteries to see if they're Lithium Polymer (i know some PSP batteries are, and doubt Sony would use LiPo by standard.. i dunno 100% though). If they are LiPo i'd use Sony AC Adapters Only.

http://www.youtube.com/results?q=Lithium+Polymer

*edit*

oops took a while to write this lol. but hope this helps none-the-less.

I thought that might be the problem.

My friend is bringing over two different types of DC/AC/whatever-there-called power adapters later but I need to find what voltage is acceptable to plug into it.

So far I've read 100-240 but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I don't want to mess it up.

its written at the power input on the PSP, I think its 5v, check the rating on the adaptor itself, if it says 100-240v then your quite ok I think.

make sure the power adaptor don't output too much. I managed to use my friends creative labs mp3 player adaptor once lol!

First of all can you really charge thru USB (I don't think so :/ ). If you're battery was faulty when you bought new one did you charge that or did you just popped it in and tried to turn-on the PSP.

No you can't charge thru USB you need Power cord, go to nearest gamestop or ebgames see if they have any that you can buy or else ask you're friend to charge it for you.

Newer versions 2xxx series can, but Only if the PSP is set to USB mode (where a pc can access it). Just plugging it in doesn't charge it.

Mine is first gen so I havn't followed thru on the newer version of PSP, also he already said his psp it old one so..

Also can you charge the old PSP thru USB when you activate USB connection?

No. This is not possible. The 1000 models CAN NOT CHARGE with a USB cable!! The 2000s can if you enable it via software.

To charge a fattie/1000 model you need to branch it off to the adapter plug (madcatz makes a retractable USB cable for $7 at wal-mart), or find a suitable 5V 2A adapter to charge the unit with (maybe gamestop/ebgames/walmart/anywhere else that carry console accessories).

I think walmart at one time carried a suitable adapter that worked in auto and home. it was basically a specialized USB cable, and the carslot to USB and wall socket to USB. These will take longer to charge the battery than with the offical sony adapter.

Only the PSP Slim can be charged through USB. The original PSPs need to be charged using the AC adapter.

Not true. I've got an original PSP, and it charges easily through the special USB adaptor.