Dvorak for gaming?

Does anyone use the Dvorak layout for gaming? Seems like there's an overwhelming bias to the Qwerty layout among game developers (which isn't surprising).

I know I can change the key configuration, but in the first game I tried that with (Mirror's Edge) it simply *will not* accept "," as the forward key (WASD on Qwerty = ,AOE on Dvorak). It asks for letters only. Which is incredibly stupid. Even changing the config file directly causes the game to complain that it's corrupt.

Is there any hope at all?

Try using the arrow keys maybe? Might be a bit different if it'll even work. I'm not familiar with that keyboard layout so I don't even know if it has them. The other option I can think of is buying a game pad.

Although getting a game pad to work with Mirrors Edge on the pc is apparently hit or miss too. I couldn't get mine to work.

Does anyone use the Dvorak layout for gaming? Seems like there's an overwhelming bias to the Qwerty layout among game developers (which isn't surprising).

I know I can change the key configuration, but in the first game I tried that with (Mirror's Edge) it simply *will not* accept "," as the forward key (WASD on Qwerty = ,AOE on Dvorak). It asks for letters only. Which is incredibly stupid. Even changing the config file directly causes the game to complain that it's corrupt.

Is there any hope at all?

Try to shift your layout one key right. A lot of peple do hat on QWERTY as well, more easy to access keys around your 4 main keys.

Try to shift your layout one key right. A lot of peple do hat on QWERTY as well, more easy to access keys around your 4 main keys.

That'd still land on the "." key.

Regardless, I think I'm content with the Ctrl+Shift shortcut, especially since it's per-application. :)