New PS3 blu-ray drive coming?

Hey guys,

I just popped into HMV (in the UK) today to buy a PS3 only to be told they were sold out because Sony were releasing a new one within the next couple of weeks with an updated blu-ray drive or something. I've not seen or heard about this in all the stores I went into - has anyone else heard anything about this?

A.

I can see improved drives coming, but ONLY for better Blu-ray movie playback. Load times won't be improved.

EDIT: anyone else waiting to get a PS3 until a 'slim' version comes out? I figure, this holiday season would be a great time to introduce a slim version for $299.

45nm CPU/GPU isn't due till Summer according to Sony, so it can't be that.

Probably just awaiting stock and your HMV sales rep is making stuff up - Did they read something off a screen, or just tell you that's why it wasn't in stock? Absolutely nothing else on the internet about this though.

I'm pretty sure they weren't fobbing me off - the woman there seemed quite knowledgeable and sincere. She also suggested that if I needed one today that I could buy one from the 'GAME' store across the road.

However, it would seem strange that a large company would drain their stock unless there was a new update to the PS coming...

45nm CPU/GPU isn't due till Summer according to Sony, so it can't be that.

Probably just awaiting stock and your HMV sales rep is making stuff up - Did they read something off a screen, or just tell you that's why it wasn't in stock? Absolutely nothing else on the internet about this though.

EDIT: anyone else waiting to get a PS3 until a 'slim' version comes out? I figure, this holiday season would be a great time to introduce a slim version for $299.

Nope, I'll probably give my fat one to my cousin if/when a slim is released

I can see improved drives coming, but ONLY for better Blu-ray movie playback. Load times won't be improved.

I hardly think they will bring PS3 Slim so soon, PS2 took 4 years. PS3 on the other had is still kinda new, and making it into slim is a big change for a "10 year console".

January/February can see shortages in isolated locations - Stores have to stock up for Christmas and can underestimate demand in their store. I think the fact she pointed you to the Game across the street kind of proves that. If a new model was coming, more stores would be awaiting the new shipments of stock and there'd be more reports of stocking issues across the country.

Anyway if it's true we should hear something soon if they're indicating the next few weeks. Also if it is, it's just going to be some sort of hardware revision, you're not going to get new features or anything like that. It would probably just be Sony rejigging the internals to further bring down manufacturing costs.

Back when I was working at a retail store, this old guy was asking some basic question about VHS vs DVDs - I told him to stick to DVDs since the new VHS tapes had a tendency to explode after a few plays. ( I was bored, it was Friday and he was getting on my nerves. ) He left with a DVD players and a some old Danish movies.

So basically, don't trust everything you hear, specially not in retails stores - They are usually full of crap.

January/February can see shortages in isolated locations - Stores have to stock up for Christmas and can underestimate demand in their store. I think the fact she pointed you to the Game across the street kind of proves that. If a new model was coming, more stores would be awaiting the new shipments of stock and there'd be more reports of stocking issues across the country.

Anyway if it's true we should hear something soon if they're indicating the next few weeks. Also if it is, it's just going to be some sort of hardware revision, you're not going to get new features or anything like that. It would probably just be Sony rejigging the internals to further bring down manufacturing costs.

I think you may be right on this one. I just rung up another HMV (the one on Oxford St in London) and they said they are running short on stocks because of one of two reasons:

1. There is just general stock shortages across the country as they await more supplies from the Orient

2. Sony are planning an upgrade to the capacity of the hard drive.

I think you may be right on this one. I just rung up another HMV (the one on Oxford St in London) and they said they are running short on stocks because of one of two reasons:

1. There is just general stock shortages across the country as they await more supplies from the Orient

2. Sony are planning an upgrade to the capacity of the hard drive.

They all tell you something different :p

To be fair, a few websites are running low on stock also. On ShopTo both the PS3 hardware bundles they sell are on "last few" ( http://www.shopto.net/PS3/HARDWARE/PS3CO21...stance%202.html & http://www.shopto.net/PS3/HARDWARE/PS3CO22...ic%20Rift.html).

Game is reporting out of stock on all their PS3 bundles as well - http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/Hardwar...e/?s=PS3%2080GB

Gamestation out of stock also - http://gamestation.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/Hard...Blu-ray-Remote/

I hardly think they will bring PS3 Slim so soon, PS2 took 4 years. PS3 on the other had is still kinda new, and making it into slim is a big change for a "10 year console".

Sony NEEDS to cut costs though and a slim form is the way to go. Less material overall for the mobo, CPU, GPU, Plastics, etc.

They all tell you something different :p

To be fair, a few websites are running low on stock also. On ShopTo both the PS3 hardware bundles they sell are on "last few" ( http://www.shopto.net/PS3/HARDWARE/PS3CO21...stance%202.html & http://www.shopto.net/PS3/HARDWARE/PS3CO22...ic%20Rift.html).

Game is reporting out of stock on all their PS3 bundles as well - http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/Hardwar...e/?s=PS3%2080GB

Gamestation out of stock also - http://gamestation.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/Hard...Blu-ray-Remote/

conspiracy!! :D

Sony NEEDS to cut costs though and a slim form is the way to go. Less material overall for the mobo, CPU, GPU, Plastics, etc.

Uh creating a slim is far from an easy task.

The Blu Ray drive would need to shrink in size, as well as the motherboard and all other components. Not to mention remember the PS3 "power brick" is currently inside the console also. Then you have the hard drive which is internal, and will not ever decrease in size - It's always going to be a 2.5" laptop drive.

When Sony reduce the CPU/GPU sizes, they do manage to reduce the sizes of some components, but it's not like the motherboard in the models right now will be drastically different in size from the older motherboards. The most effective thing they manage to do to reduce costs is REMOVE components, not reduce sizes. I seem to recall reading the PS3 had 400 odd moving parts inside at launch, and now it's down to 200 odds, I'll need to source that though.

You will not get a slim this year, maybe not even next either.

Bugger - I was hoping to buy one in time for release of Street Fighter 4. Ah well, I'm not desperate to get one urgently but looks like I might have to wait a bit.

To be fair, a few websites are running low on stock also.

I seem to recall reading the PS3 had 400 odd moving parts inside at launch, and now it's down to 200 odds, I'll need to source that though.

Whaa?

Apart from the BRD, and HDD, where are these moving parts?

Whaa?

Apart from the BRD, and HDD, where are these moving parts?

Maybe it's just "parts", not moving parts :p

I think they mean like resistors/diodes and all that other stuff on motherboards/chips. I'll go see if I can find what I read.... I'm sure I read something to that extent somewhere :laugh:

edit: Okay I read about it here, but the funny thing is my numbers were way off :p

PlayStation 3 Manufacturing Costs Down 47% Since Launch, Claims iSuppli

Sony's PlayStation 3 hardware costs $391.62 less to manufacture now than when it launched in November 2006, according to estimates from research firm iSuppli.

iSuppli believes that a PlayStation 3 currently costs Sony $448.73 to produce. In mid-2007, it was at $690.23. At launch, it was $840.35 for the $599 60GB unit. It was not specified which PS3 model--the $399 80GB or the $499 160GB unit--was used in its most recent cost analysis, though the firm referenced the $399 price point.

Rumors have circulated that Sony may drop the PlayStation 3's price at the start of its next fiscal year in April 2009, with at least one analyst putting stock in those beliefs.

The 47% reduction in per-unit costs comes from lower component prices, as well as revisions that have reduced the amount of components by an estimated 30%. The firm claims that the first-generation PlayStation 3 had about 4,048 parts, while more modern PlayStation 3s only have around 2,820 components.

"The PS3 may be able to break even in 2009 with further hardware revisions," said iSuppli teardown principal analyst Andrew Rassweiler. The firm noted that its estimate "doesn't include other costs, including software, box contents and royalty expenses."

The firm claims that the first-generation PlayStation 3 had about 4,048 parts, while more modern PlayStation 3s only have around 2,820 components.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56559

I don't see why people don't think...a slim already? Hardly likely...it's used as a boost ~half way into its life isn't it?

it also reduces the costs to produce the device/item

less materials, less parts, smaller physical size to store & ship etc etc

Uh creating a slim is far from an easy task.

The Blu Ray drive would need to shrink in size, as well as the motherboard and all other components. Not to mention remember the PS3 "power brick" is currently inside the console also. Then you have the hard drive which is internal, and will not ever decrease in size - It's always going to be a 2.5" laptop drive.

When Sony reduce the CPU/GPU sizes, they do manage to reduce the sizes of some components, but it's not like the motherboard in the models right now will be drastically different in size from the older motherboards. The most effective thing they manage to do to reduce costs is REMOVE components, not reduce sizes. I seem to recall reading the PS3 had 400 odd moving parts inside at launch, and now it's down to 200 odds, I'll need to source that though.

You will not get a slim this year, maybe not even next either.

There is a ton of space inside a PS3. Mainly taken up by the cooling, PSU, and BD-ROM.

This is obviously a blatant excuse to show some pics :p but you're right, if they gave it a slimline laptop drive, made the PSU external (which would reduce the cooling requirements, as well as it's size), and further reduced it's heat dissipation (CPU/GPU die shrink) Then it could be a hell of a lot smaller.

post-18738-1234706188.jpg

post-18738-1234706208.jpg

post-18738-1234706228.jpg

BD-ROM

post-18738-1234706246.jpg

PSU

post-18738-1234706291_thumb.jpg

post-18738-1234706305_thumb.jpg

post-18738-1234706330.jpg

post-18738-1234706348_thumb.jpg

post-18738-1234706364_thumb.jpg

post-18738-1234706389.jpg

post-18738-1234706407.jpg

post-18738-1234706457.jpg

On a side note, who knew it was transparent!?!

made the PSU external

Noooooooooo!

I hate external PSUs. The original slimline PS2 went that way, but the newest slimline has it all inside, the way it should be :p

post-18738-1234706457.jpg

On a side note, who knew it was transparent!?!

I didn't! Pretty cool.