Meet Firefox 4.0.1

If you're having issues with memory usage, try enabling decode on draw (image.mem.decodeondraw) It stops Firefox decoding (i.e. decompressing) images until it actually has to draw them. It will cause issues with images "popping in" when you switch tabs, but will reduce overall memory usage and increase responsiveness.

It should also help on sites like wallbase that have the infinitely scrolling pages. A single tab open on wallbase got my Firefox instance up to 1.1GB of RAM.

Edit: Oh yeah, and check about:memory if you're having memory issues, it shows a breakdown of how the memory is being used by Firefox (in my case I've got 12MB of compiled JavaScript, 717MB of decoded image data and 100MB of graphics data, which is page contents and such stored on the graphics card)

The first candidate build for Firefox 4.0 beta 9 is on the ftp server:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/4.0b9-candidates/build1/

ffresize.png

anyone know how to get rid of the little resize grip thing on the right there? shows up even while full-screened

Where is that? You can try:

resizer {
  display: none !important;
}

Is there a new beta release of Stylish? It's no longer showing up in my Add ons bar.

It is now a toolbarbutton which you add to the addon-bar from the customize dialog.

Today's nightly bumped the version number up again:

post-1302-0-43484400-1294760470.png

As a result some extensions might not work after the upgrade.

Light text on dark background DirectWrite bug is fixed with kb2454826.

comparisonlightdark.png

Why is the next beta called N, instead of beta 10?

It's not. BetaN means that these bugs have to be fixed somewhere in the beta cycle, so N can stand for any number.

Has anyone else had any problems with Flash, in particular Hulu.com? Basically, whenever I have the bookmarks sidebar in Firefox, the Hulu video flickers to gray and back. It happens only sometimes in Youtube but almost all the time on Hulu. When the bookmarks sidebar is gone, howeve Hulu acts as normal. This seems to happen in both beta 8 and the current build of Minefield.

post-357926-0-35439800-1294817196.jpg

yes i have the problem with the video going black or staying the same when scrolling on youtube and also flickering videos on web pages with flash videos embedded. I'm running beta 8, i didn't have this problem in 3.6.13

Is it me or did the close buttons appear back in the latest nightly? Could have sworn it wasn't there yesterday?

post-2-0-57571600-1294839284.png

I mean when the tabs aren't selected, Good move (Y)