Sniper: Ghost Warrior

I only had a chance to play the SP portion of the game at a friend's house. It's a satisfying shooter but it's somewhat "limited". There aren't that many weapons (as far as I saw) and the gameplay was somewhat repetitive. Other than that, the graphics are awesome and I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to play against other people online. For $30, it's worth it. (Y)

Thanks Anaron, glad you had a chance to actually play it. Did SP seem pretty linear, or was it open? I noticed in the videos that the game takes wind and bullet drop into consideration when playing as well. Something BC2 claimed, but I have yet to see.

Thanks Anaron, glad you had a chance to actually play it. Did SP seem pretty linear, or was it open? I noticed in the videos that the game takes wind and bullet drop into consideration when playing as well. Something BC2 claimed, but I have yet to see.

You're welcome. SP did seem somewhat linear in terms of how you progressed. In combat though, you could come from any angle you want. I saw the videos too and unfortunately, I don't think wind had any effect on my shooting.

There's definitely bullet drop with a tiny red circle that moves depending on where you aim and the angle you're shooting from. It makes things so much easier, especially for long-distance shots. As for BC2, it definitely has bullet drop. I know that for a fact.

One thing that doesn't get old is the bullet cut scene (for headshots only). The camera follows your bullet until it hits your target.

You're welcome. SP did seem somewhat linear in terms of how you progressed. In combat though, you could come from any angle you want. I saw the videos too and unfortunately, I don't think wind had any effect on my shooting.

There's definitely bullet drop with a tiny red circle that moves depending on where you aim and the angle you're shooting from. It makes things so much easier, especially for long-distance shots. As for BC2, it definitely has bullet drop. I know that for a fact.

One thing that doesn't get old is the bullet cut scene (for headshots only). The camera follows your bullet until it hits your target.

Thanks again. I have read on another forum that wind did affect them in hardcore mode, so I guess we will see. I am going to pick this up, because I have heard plenty of good things about it.

As for BC2, I play Recon mostly. With most of my kills coming from my sniper rifles, I have yet to experience bullet drop. I can shoot someone clear across the map with my cross hairs on their head, and boom, head shot every time, never fails. I wonder if it's more common in the assault rifles.

Thanks again. I have read on another forum that wind did affect them in hardcore mode, so I guess we will see. I am going to pick this up, because I have heard plenty of good things about it.

As for BC2, I play Recon mostly. With most of my kills coming from my sniper rifles, I have yet to experience bullet drop. I can shoot someone clear across the map with my cross hairs on their head, and boom, head shot every time, never fails. I wonder if it's more common in the assault rifles.

That's bull about BC2 - if you hold the mouse 1 button down after shooting you will see the bullet land substantially lower than your reticule.

Actually it's not bull. It's fact in my experience. I am on the 360 though. Maybe pc is different?

That's bull about BC2 - if you hold the mouse 1 button down after shooting you will see the bullet land substantially lower than your reticule.

That can't be true..after some range, I have to put my crosshair about 1 cm or more above their head O_o maybe you are playing on a hardcore server where 1 shot is 1 kill?

Back to topic.. I played the demo..when the sniping starts it was fun..but I never really like stealthy games, found it boring when you have to sneak around and die everytime you got caught. The last Splinter Cell is a bit different though

I might buy the game too.

I'm surprised you didn't notice any bullet drop in BC2. As Recon, you should notice the bullet drop even more than the other classes. It's barely noticeable with the Assault and Medic, and almost unnoticeable with the Engineer.

This is actually a fairly decent game. For what is without a doubt a "budget" title, it is probably easily the best budget game I have ever played. With that said, it really is only the sniping aspect that is appealing, when you have to resort to normal gunplay, it shows itself as a budget game. Also it is nowhere near a simulation, if you are looking for reality, this is not the game to play. As Anaron pointed out, the game takes distance and wind in to account for you, at least on the default difficulty, I cannot speak on Hardcore, so it does not require all that much skill, as all you have to do is aim the red dot instead of lining up the middle of the crosshairs. Perhaps it gets a bit more difficult, I only played the first 60 minutes if that, but also as Anaron pointed out, when you do get a headshot and get to follow the bullet, well it just never gets old. At least not yet.

The one thing I was shocked about was for being a budget title, it really is pretty demanding on my PC. Running it at 1920 x 1080 with High settings, and since I always have FRAPS open when I play a new game to see performance, I noticed at times it is dipping below 30 frames per second. I have a feeling that game is just poorly optimized on the PC graphically, because every other game I have run at the same exact settings or better actually, I get way better performance out of them. It does not even look all the great graphically. Definitely not a slouch on the graphics side of things, but the Chrome engine they are using, well this version of it it just must not be all that optimized, as I truly did think to myself it is crazy how what is a "budget" title is one of the more demanding games on my PC that I have played lately. I am assuming that the 360 version does not have any of those issues at all though. And maybe new drivers will help or something, but I also checked out Singularity on my PC the same day, and I have it set to just as if not higher settings, and I do think Singularity looks better visually, and I was getting on average 75 fps on Singularity.

So I do think considering it is only $40 it may be worth picking up, I just have not played enough yet to truly make that call, but it is definitely way, way better than I thought it would be, as I have checked out prior releases from City Interactive, which among them were also "budget" FPS games for the PC, and they were truly awful, so to say I am pleasantly surprised by the game would be an understatement.

Thanks Larry, all of that is good info. And since I don't game on PC that much (even though that info will help those who do), I am probably pretty safe in the performance department since this is for my 360. I will pick this up next week once our long holiday weekend is over.

Anaron, I don't know why...but that is the case at least for me in Recon mode, and in hardcore and normal. Cross hairs centered on head across map, headshot instantly. Now, would I still get a kill if I aimed up 1cm? I haven't really tried that (considering I haven't needed to). I think I will test that. Mind you, I mostly play on SDM, so the maps are smaller. When I play Rush though, I tend to be assault, and rarely have I pulled out my sniper. Maybe with those larger maps, the bullet drop is more noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have played the game and it's great. But the game have flaws that p***** me off. For example in a mission "Steal From Under Their Noses" the first bridge it doesn't matter how far you are from the enemy and how well hidden you are they see you!! How? It's dark you have ghillie suit. Only way they can see sniper is with night vision goggles. And if the enemy have it then where is it? When you go near to dead enemy you don't see NVG anywhere, not on the bridge, not on their faces. Does enemy have sixth sense? I played it with easy difficulty. It's bs in my opinion. Same flaw is in Sniper Elite game. Sniper Ghost Warrior have other flaws like sometimes when you move in the water you don't swim, you actually moving like you do it in the land. A question pop into my head. Why making sniping game where is so many flaws? If I have to evaluate that game 10 point scale I would give it 4 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if I hurted someones feelings, but it's true!