97 members have voted

1. 1. What race do you play as (the most)?

• Protoss
    • Terran
    • Zerg
    • Random

2v2 is a real crap shoot in terms of quality of players.

I've been playing some 2v2 with a friend to get warmed up before 1v1 matches and the quality goes up and down from match to match.

For example, in one game, we'll play against a team with our off-races and stomp them and then the very next match, we will play on-race and get stomped.

It's a bit weird. Usually, it puts my friend and I against slightly favoured opponents. Sometimes though, we'll go against favoured opponents who, for some odd reason, are in Diamond/Master. It's a little unfair when that happens because my friend and I max out at Platinum in terms of skill.

It's a bit weird. Usually, it puts my friend and I against slightly favoured opponents. Sometimes though, we'll go against favoured opponents who, for some odd reason, are in Diamond/Master. It's a little unfair when that happens because my friend and I max out at Platinum in terms of skill.

It happens as a test of your skills. Most people end up getting better, so the ranking system puts them against higher level players to see if they can win. If they do then there's a chance they'll move up to a higher league.

I don't think the ranking system would pit you against higher league players if you didn't show a higher win to lose ration. I think that's part of the math of how it functions.

It happens as a test of your skills. Most people end up getting better, so the ranking system puts them against higher level players to see if they can win. If they do then there's a chance they'll move up to a higher league.

I don't think the ranking system would pit you against higher league players if you didn't show a higher win to lose ration. I think that's part of the math of how it functions.

Ah, you're right. I'm aware of how it works but I didn't think it would go as far as Diamond/Master when my friend and I are in the Gold league. As for being promoted to a higher league, I don't think that happens. The way I understand it is a little different because of the whole "season" thing. Each season, you stay in your league division and based on your rank (performance), you either get promoted or demoted to a different league once the new season starts.

EDIT: It looks like I wasn't entirely right: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2580698045

Ah, you're right. I'm aware of how it works but I didn't think it would go as far as Diamond/Master when my friend and I are in the Gold league. As for being promoted to a higher league, I don't think that happens. The way I understand it is a little different because of the whole "season" thing. Each season, you stay in your league division and based on your rank (performance), you either get promoted or demoted to a different league once the new season starts.

EDIT: It looks like I wasn't entirely right: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2580698045

Team leagues are a total crapshoot still. I played the placement games and ended up in platinum, and I think 80% of the people I played against dropped. :wacko:

The seasons only lock towards the end. You can move up and down as long as the ladder isn't locked. Once it's locked, you can try to get to the top of your division, although there's really no incentive to do so, as of right now.

Does anyone needs Gues pass, I got 2 of them found it with all my stuff. Was going to throw away and tough someone might need it. Also got 2 for WoW.

There's a free demo now so it's not really needed :>

Team leagues are a total crapshoot still. I played the placement games and ended up in platinum, and I think 80% of the people I played against dropped. :wacko:

The seasons only lock towards the end. You can move up and down as long as the ladder isn't locked. Once it's locked, you can try to get to the top of your division, although there's really no incentive to do so, as of right now.

It's not that hard to get placed in Platinum when you're starting off. However, if you've been in Platinum once and you're not placed in a league yet... it'll put you against a player of similar skill.

Anyway, locking the season towards the end makes sense. As for an incentive, I thought players would be awarded a milestone based on their rank once the season ends: one for each bracket (top 8, 25, 50, and 100). Blizzard made a blog post about it here.

There's a free demo now so it's not really needed :>

Actually, the guest pass allows you to play online for 7 hours over a maximum of 14 days. It also gives you full access to the campaign. The demo, on the other hand, allows you to play some missions of the campaign as well as an unlimited number of skirmishes (Terran vs. AI).

How is that even possible? They must have been feeding each other resources. And even then, it's still a little hard to believe that they could pump out Carriers in 3 minutes.

it is impossible to get a carrier out in 3 mins. You cant send resources in the 1st 5 mins and it takes time to build gas, gateway cybercore, fleet beacon, stargate, and carrier and carrier is not cheap. Even with 1 carrier out, you cant do anything and a few marines can easier wipe out 1 carrier.

Check out this for details and updates on StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. The screenshots look pretty good. It looks like they're going for a more RPG-like approach to the SP campaign. It reminds me of Warcraft 3.

Wow. For a very long time, I've had this issue of stopping worker production whenever I get attacked. As soon as that happens, I focus all my resources on units and upgrades. I don't build any more works unless I'm expanding. Lately, I've used any excess minerals on probes (Protoss) and it has made a big difference. I find that I have more minerals which I can use to make more gateways and zealots/stalkers.

Wow. For a very long time, I've had this issue of stopping worker production whenever I get attacked. As soon as that happens, I focus all my resources on units and upgrades. I don't build any more works unless I'm expanding. Lately, I've used any excess minerals on probes (Protoss) and it has made a big difference. I find that I have more minerals which I can use to make more gateways and zealots/stalkers.

you need 30 total workers each base to harvest to the fullest.

you need 30 total workers each base to harvest to the fullest.

From recent experience, I found the optimal number for mining minerals to be 16 workers per base (2 workers per mineral patch). Anything more and my army count would suffer. If I'm feeling safe, I'll get no more than 24 workers per base. And if I expand, I'll take the extra 8 workers to my second base so that both bases have 16 workers (for a total of 32 workers for minerals). Of course, I'd also have an additional 6 workers per base for gas.

From recent experience, I found the optimal number for mining minerals to be 16 workers per base (2 workers per mineral patch). Anything more and my army count would suffer. If I'm feeling safe, I'll get no more than 24 workers per base. And if I expand, I'll take the extra 8 workers to my second base so that both bases have 16 workers (for a total of 32 workers for minerals). Of course, I'd also have an additional 6 workers per base for gas.

3 per mineral patch and 3 on each gas is maxing out resource collection. As Zerg, I can usually do 2 full bases collecting minerals and gas, and a third getting gas, and then I turn extra drones into spine/spore crawlers as necessary. Terran, I max one, build a few at a second, send mules to the others, and have three on gas.

In general, you should always be building workers. Queue a few if you're forgetting to build them. They're cheap, and if you're hitting the food cap, you can send them in to repair (Terran), turn them into defenses (Zerg), or scout/send them to their death (Protoss).

3 per mineral patch and 3 on each gas is maxing out resource collection. As Zerg, I can usually do 2 full bases collecting minerals and gas, and a third getting gas, and then I turn extra drones into spine/spore crawlers as necessary. Terran, I max one, build a few at a second, send mules to the others, and have three on gas.

In general, you should always be building workers. Queue a few if you're forgetting to build them. They're cheap, and if you're hitting the food cap, you can send them in to repair (Terran), turn them into defenses (Zerg), or scout/send them to their death (Protoss).

The way I look at saturation is to select all my workers at one base, look at the unit count at the bottom centre, 2 rows = Decent Saturation, 3 rows = Maximum saturation. This seems to work well enough for me as a macro zerg who hates being on less than 4 base :<

3 per mineral patch is too much.

Yes it is the "maximum" resource collection, but resource collection does not increase linearly and your marginal gain from your 30th worker is not worth the marginal cost.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/cx7j9/i_decided_to_test_out_how_effec

Closer to 2.5 per mineral patch is the most efficient.

3 per mineral patch is too much.

Yes it is the "maximum" resource collection, but resource collection does not increase linearly and your marginal gain from your 30th worker is not worth the marginal cost.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/cx7j9/i_decided_to_test_out_how_effec

Closer to 2.5 per mineral patch is the most efficient.

Sure, but that's all hypothetically based on your workers not getting killed. In general, I go for the maximum number of workers on the first base, and when that's tapped out, distribute those workers to two expansions. Again, it depends on the race.

Sure, but that's all hypothetically based on your workers not getting killed. In general, I go for the maximum number of workers on the first base, and when that's tapped out, distribute those workers to two expansions. Again, it depends on the race.

I never said only build 2.5 workers per patch; I said have 2.5 workers per patch. If a worker dies, rebuild it.

And you shouldn't be fully saturating your main before your expansions. You should try to always maintain even distribution between your bases.

For example:

If you have two bases and 40 total workers, you should have 20 in each base, not 30 in your main and then 10 in your expansion.

The Wife bought me this yesterday for Fathers day :D - Only played a little on the trial when it first came out. Hope I don't suck too much :p

It may be maxing it out but it's inefficient. As I said earlier, 2 workers per mineral patch is better. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't make more workers. I continuously produce workers because I always plan on expanding. It also helps if you get harassed and lose workers.

2 workers per mineral patch = 16 workers

3 workers per geyser = 6 workers

total = 22 workers

Going by that, the optimal number of workers is 22. After that, you should only make more if you plan on expanding (which should almost-always be the case).