L.A. Noire news

This game is being published by Rockstar, but it's not developed by Rockstar so I don't know how much "GTA" is in this game.

Does anyone know if this is Biondi's first game?

True, I just got that "Mafia II" free-roaming vibe from it. Like I said, it's not a bad thing.

Upsetting they didn't show any gameplay. I am impressed with the facial animation though. I read in gameinformer a while back that they used brand new technology for the facial animations in this game

New info about the trailer...

That trailer was stunning, but it could have been all cutscenes, sure cutscenes created within the game, but still not playable.

Not so, Rockstar tells Kotaku.

The trailer includes a blend of playable footage and cutscenes. Rockstar tells us that because of the tech behind the game there is no difference between the gameplay and cutscenes. Of course we can't say whether we agree until we see the game in action ourselves.

Keep in mind, though, the premise behind this game: You are a detective. This isn't meant to be a shooter, it's meant to be an interactive whodunit. Because of that, the game, we're told, is full of interactive moments that are driven by dialogue; like interrogating suspects. That's where a healthy chunk of the trailer comes from.

http://kotaku.com/5687713/spotting-the-gameplay-in-la-noires-new-trailer-and-why-it-may-not-matter

The face animations look really great, it definately looks interesting.

If they can pull off a sandbox detective game (I'm assuming its a GTA world styled game?), and it actually works, then this could very awesome.

Kotaku just posted a preview. One part of the preview has me going :/

If there's an antecedent to L.A. Noire, a point of reference that will help gamers adjust expectations, it is Capcom's Phoenix Wright series. That game too is filled with conversations and the management of an expanding list of leads and evidence. There are two key differences, one obvious, both potentially great. The first is visual. Phoenix Wright is essentially a text-driven game with simple cartoon artwork to illustrate its investigations and courtroom cross examinations. L.A. Noire is not just a visually deep three-dimensional game, but it's one with the best facial animations I've ever seen. Rockstar's proprietary Motion Scan capture technology manages to make every one of the game characters not only seem to have a real and distinct face, but lets them emote with a spectacular array of expressions. You really can be presented with a smirk, a curled lip, a winked eye, a furrowed brow, and other expressions that convey or conceal the truth of a character's emotion. This means that interrogations and interviews in this game, the heart of the gameplay, have the potential thrill of the real verbal jousting that arises from being faced with, well, a person with a real face. (One visual pitfall for Rockstar here is that characters' body language is nowhere near as nuanced as the facial animation, presenting a potentially distracting sense of human heads atop relatively stiffer bodies.)

The subtler distinction from the Phoenix Wright series and from most games that include conversation is that the player should expect to be lied to. They will be given false leads. Their prey will waste their time. Games are usually filled with honest and obvious characters who fill your quest log with proper tasks that lead to guaranteed rewards. According to Rockstar, that is not the case here and the poor investigative player will find themselves getting the runaround as they chase red herrings.

• 4 weeks later...

Another preview this time by Joystiq

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/10/la-noire-preview-hold-it/#continued

But, LA Noire isn't Grand Theft Auto set in the 1940s. It's not Red Dead Redemption without horses. Perhaps the best comparison I can offer is this: it's a big-budget, M-rated Phoenix Wright.
When I first saw the LA Noire trailer, I shared the same question that many of you had: "Why didn't they show actual gameplay in this trailer?" Having seen the game in action, I can say that the trailer is the gameplay. Watching how people respond to you, listening to the intonation of their voice, and looking for subtle changes in their expression is vital in figuring out who you can trust. The fact that you can "read" people this way is rather revolutionary, a testament to how spectacular the motion capture system is.
I can't help but wonder if the mainstream media will somehow campaign against Rockstar's latest for tackling such dark themes, like rape and exploitation. "You're going to see a lot of dead, naked bodies," the rep forewarned about the game's more gruesome content.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty much my most anticipated game of the year. Especially after watching all of the behind the scenes videos on the Rockstar site a few weeks back, I am completely and utterly sold. I am also pretty much a sucker for all things Noir, and I absolutely love the whole idea of being a detective and having to really analyze facial movements, subtle reactions, etc. Cannot wait to play it.

This one has been flying under my radar, I hope it's a big improvement over Mafia 2.

This one has been flying under my radar, I hope it's a big improvement over Mafia 2.

How do you mean? This isn't developed by the same people, nor is it really going to be the same kind of game.

So that's the PS3 version then!

After investing in a PC I think the only thing my PS3 will get used for now is media, PS3 exclusives and party games (Move, Buzz, Singstar)

How do you mean? This isn't developed by the same people, nor is it really going to be the same kind of game.

Agreed. How can a non-open world current-gen Phoenix Wright be anything like Mafia 2?