Firefox tab "close" button to appear when you hover over a tab?

That's odd. I haven't touched that parameter (in fact, it's set to 140 in my profile), and I don't notice this problem. The close button appears on background tabs even when I have so many tabs open that the scroll arrows appear.

Let me make myself clear. This is what I am seeing on my end running Firefox 4.0 on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate PC. There seems to be three (3) scenarios.

1. If I change the Firefox "browser.tabs.tabClipWidth" preference from the default value to something less than 100 and do NOT use a userChrome.css file, then no matter how many tabs I have open, I see a tab close button on every tab whether hovering over a tab or not.

2. If I do not touch the "browser.tabs.tabClipWidth" preference and leave it with the default value of 140 and only use a userChrome.css file with the following code below, then the userChrome.css file does NOT appear to do anything. In this case, Firefox appears to work the same for me as a standard install. Only the active/foreground tab shows a close button and I must click on an inactive/background tab (making it the active/foreground tab) to get a close button.

3. If I both change the "browser.tabs.tabClipWidth" preference to a value less than 100 AND use a userChrome.css file with the following code below, then inactive/background tabs do not show a close button. However, unlike scenario 2 above, if you hover over an inactive/background tab, then the close button appears and you can close the tab without having to first click on the tab (and make it the active/foreground tab to get the close button like in scenario 2 above).

.tabbrowser-tab:not([selected]) .tab-close-button {

visibility: hidden !important;

margin-left: -16px !important;

}

.tabbrowser-tab:not([selected]):hover .tab-close-button {

visibility: visible !important;

margin-left: 0px !important;

}

Thanks. I had seen solutions involving the Stylish extension, but nothing for sure that involved just modifying the userchrome.css file. I'll check out the code.

using stylish is the same as modifying the userchome.css file just with less hassle

using stylish is the same as modifying the userchome.css file just with less hassle

I'm sure Stylish works well and is convenient, but since I install 20-30 addons usually, I try to use very tiny tightly written addons if at all possible. I only use a couple of addons larger than 200KB. So, I choose to avoid something like Stylish unless really necessary, even at the expense of a bit of work. That said, creating a text file like userChrome.css, to me at least, is trivial and no big deal.

• 4 months later...

I was looking for something like this and stumbled upon this forum. I'm now using the Win7 Close Buttons from Pastbin, in Stylish. Thank you for this!

However, I can barely see the close buttons when hovering on other tabs and would like to always see the red close button when hovering so I can move the mouse pointer directly to the button. If this is not possible than always seeing the red button would be OK.

Using the Win7 Close Buttons style, I have to first click on a tab, then I see the red close button but only on that current tab. But when hovering on background tabs, I can barely make out the tiny "x".

I don't see any difference regardless whether browser.tabs.tabClipWidth is 140 or 98.

Any help is appreciated. I am not a CSS programmer. Please see attachement.

Thank you in advance.

Firefox 6

post-409618-0-36882600-1314231999.jpg