Samsung Galaxy S II

Wow, very good review. Makes me want to leave my iPhone 4 for one :p

I had the Galaxy S Captivate (Rogers Wireless) and I liked the phone. As that one picture shows, the SAMOLED screens have the best contrast by far. The blacks are unparalleled to anything I've seen.

I still think Android is too fragmented in terms of updates and carriers. That's the only thing I have against it... I have to wait for another upgrade, but I'm on Telus now it should be easier, their customer service is better lol

Don't let the "fragmentation" FUD fool you, and Samsung was pretty good at getting updates released, it was at least here in the US the carriers that screwed us over

MUST...

MUST...... GET!! ..

I have a question about battery life for this thing. How long does it last while continuously surfing the web (4G), and idle?

My mom had the Galaxy S and she had to return it because it's battery life was like 2 days after using web for 2 hours in all, and idle for the rest of the time, it died on the 2nd day. (I set all settings to low eg: screen brightness, closed all apps, etc)

2 days battery is good. No smartphone will last more than this with regular usage making use of all the features.

Samsung (among other big names) are a part of the Android partnership program with Google and have vowed to keep phones updated for at least 18 months. That and Android 3.1 due this year will merge Honycomb and Gingebread and will be compatible with ALL Android devices.

Also, Android is getting major updates soon. Movies available on the Market, music streaming over the Cloud (50GB storage) and so on. See Google IO 2011.

Also Samsung have confirmed unlocked bootloaders on all new phones so rooting = :)

MUST...

MUST...... GET!! ..

I have a question about battery life for this thing. How long does it last while continuously surfing the web (4G), and idle?

My mom had the Galaxy S and she had to return it because it's battery life was like 2 days after using web for 2 hours in all, and idle for the rest of the time, it died on the 2nd day. (I set all settings to low eg: screen brightness, closed all apps, etc)

It's not 4G lol so that's out the question. but at best you'll get about 2 days of this with moderate usage but even that's pushing it. This is normal for smart phones to only have 24-48 hours cycle with usage. Maybe able to squeeze 3 maybe on idle whole time but yeah that's dependant on background operations and syncing etc.

I'm certainly hanging out for it till it hopefully comes below $1100 NZD.

I'm torn... I want this, but Samsung themselves have said an NFC versions will hit the UK soon... Is NFC worth waiting for? I like the premise, but will it be used?

I think the NFC one is lesser in spec, if it's indeed the Tegra2 powered one then it may not sport a SAMOLED+ screen too.

I'm torn... I want this, but Samsung themselves have said an NFC versions will hit the UK soon... Is NFC worth waiting for? I like the premise, but will it be used?

It's a great idea in practice and there have been selected roll outs in the UK (Mcdonalds in key cities for one) but until it becomes much more widely available I wouldn't count it as a must have for a new phone. In a few years however I hope it's commonplace.

I think the NFC one is lesser in spec, if it's indeed the Tegra2 powered one then it may not sport a SAMOLED+ screen too.

Not what I have heard. The US version is EXACTLY the same spec but with NFC. The UK version simply lacks NFC.

It's a great idea in practice and there have been selected roll outs in the UK (Mcdonalds in key cities for one) but until it becomes much more widely available I wouldn't count it as a must have for a new phone. In a few years however I hope it's commonplace.

Agreed, but when buying on a 2-year contract...

Off topic: I was a huge fan (almost evangelist) of Bluetooth long before such devices were released over here - I saw the potential and what it could be used for. It saddens me that it never realised that potential (at least it hasn't in commonplace UK life).

Not really a fan of any Samsung Android phone, but this one is an exception. I just despise Touchwiz, along with Samsung/carriers update lag, build quality (too much plastic). If this makes it to Verizon with LTE, I may consider it as my next phone. Android is getting lots of nice updates, but I am definitely intrigued with the future of WebOS and WP7.

NFC is still an up-and-coming tech that is starting to gain traction. Google and credit card companies are backing it, and if Apple chooses to put NFC into the iPhone 5 in September, then it is pretty much guaranteed to popup everywhere by next year. Either way, I think it is a useful feature to have if you want to future proof the phone until your contract runs out.

People should seriously have one in their hands before commenting on lack of metal body construction :p

If it wasn't stated I doubt anyone would guess it was all plastic. It feels unibody, it is that sturdy in build. It had no flex or give when you try to bend or twist it and the battery cover is flimsy yes but it hugs the battery and phone back so tightly you wouldn't even guess it came off if there wasn't a notch for your nail to flick it out.

I think it feels as rigid as a DesireHD but obviously much thinner andlighter.

And you don't need to have Touchwhizz, just install another launcher!

About cases for this phone,

I bought an S-Line one but the edge wrapping collects dust like crazy after using it on location today during a shoot:

sgs-ii_case_1.jpg

sgs-ii_case_2.jpg

But it has to go....

sgs-ii_donotwant.jpg

Waiting for this to arrive now:

http://www.obostore.com/nillkin-ultra-slim-hard-shield-faceplate-for-samsung-galaxy-s2-p-1004.html

Had one similar to that on my HTC Desire and that was perfect so this should be too and it's thin so will continue the slimline feel of the SGS.

Update on cases!

The prveious one was a dust magnet so I bought 2 new ones, picked one of them up today, the official Samsung one:

I know I've ordered this one already so when it arrives I will compare both but I will likely end up using that as my dash mount or if the holder I bought is actually good then will give it away on here because I'm awesome like that :p

Previous pics online stores of the official case don't give the impression of it looking as expensive as it does in person so hopefully my pics will help change that :)

The material is plastic/rubberised but it's not as rubbery as other cases, it won't show finger greasy marks like others and appears to be black inside and out so chips/scrapes won't show the undercoat which is good news as my Desire case had white showing on every edge!

I like the drilled look too, I don't think it's to help heat escape but more a design feature and does help grip too.

It also provides a bit of a lip on the front so if the phone is placed face down then the screen is protected from surface contact.

sgs-ii_case_official_1.jpg

sgs-ii_case_official_2.jpg

sgs-ii_case_official_3.jpg

sgs-ii_case_official_4.jpg

sgs-ii_case_official_5.jpg

sgs-ii_case_official_6.jpg

sgs-ii_case_official_7.jpg

Well worth the <?10 asking price!

Very Nice review! I'm seriously considering selling my iPhone 4 for this.. Can't wait to see it in stores to test it in person!

I've seen videos in action... Impressive speed expecially for browsing!!!

For the cases... Why didn't you consider a pochette-style case like this? http://www.ispazio.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/phpThumb-2.jpg

it will preserve the phone's original look!!!

(and.. A little off topic... Can you please give me the product model of your keyboard? I'm searching for a laptop for my desktop PC style keyboard and yours is exaclty what I'm looking for!)

thx a lot! I did a quick search on the forum and I found your review! I'll check it out and write there!!

Anyway, congratulations for your review's style! I like it a lot, especially for the high quality pictures!