Yahoo Tracks Where You Go

Yahoo tracks all of its users everywhere on the web and the way to opt-out is detailed below. If you have a Yahoo e-mail account or belong to one of Yahoo's many Yahoo groups, this probably applies to you. Yahoo has probably been tracking everything you do online. Follow the instructions precisely to opt out of this. Notice the important part at the very end.

"Yahoo is now using something called 'Web Beacons' to track Yahoo Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording every website and every group you visit.

Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link that says web beacons. Click on the phrase web beacons.

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/beacons/details.html

That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."

In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out" link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted. Notice the "Success" message on the top of the next page. Be careful because on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will **undo** the opt-out. So don't reflexively click that button, or you will undo the opt-out ! Feel free to forward this to other groups."

Forever Geek

It is kind of tricky to opt out, because they try to fool you into pressing the 'cancel' button. It cancels you from opting out!

Loads of websites track your complete behaviour whilst you are on their domain.

It's good practice to see where the dead ends and problems are.

Most will not tie any identifable info with your browsing habits however.

if i recall this news is like so OLD

585944241[/snapback]

If you got nowt to say, then don't say it at all...

Some people like me, and some others, haven't heard about this, so it's not old to us !

I'd be suprised if Google or any other search (portal) doesn't track you from place to place within their sites.

gmail all the way....or google...lol

585945186[/snapback]

So what ? Google toolbar / desktop search / deskbar all this unwanted crap doesn't track your ass ? :sleep:

EX :

Google Desktop Search

http://desktop.google.com/en/privacypolicy.html

What information does Google receive?

By default, Google Desktop Search collects a limited amount of non-personal information from your computer and sends it to Google. This includes summary information, such as the number of searches you do and the time it takes for you to see your results, and application reports we'll use to make the program better. :x You can opt out of sending this information during the installation process or from the application preferences at any time.

Google Web Accelerator

http://webaccelerator.google.com/terms.html

The Google Privacy Policy describes how we treat personal information when you use Google's services, including information provided when you use Google Web Accelerator. In addition, the following describes our practices that are specific to Google Web Accelerator.

Information that we collect when you use Google Web Accelerator

Google does not require any personal information when you download Google Web Accelerator, although we do collect standard information about your computer, such as the type of browser you use, etc.

When you use Google Web Accelerator, Google servers receive and log your page requests. Page requests and data sent in encrypted form using an HTTPS connection will not go through Google. It is possible that some personally identifiable information could be sent to Google, if the information is sent without using an encrypted (HTTPS) connection.

:yes:

So I went to the opt out page (without logging in) and it said "You have opted out successfully." so I think it's not even working correctly since I hadn't even logged into yahoo at all.

So I went to the opt out page (without logging in) and it said "You have opted out successfully." so I think it's not even working correctly since I hadn't even logged into yahoo at all.

585946346[/snapback]

Me too - I can successfully opt out without logging in? Hmm, yeah, right. :no:

• 4 weeks later...
And you think other companies don't track you, like google etc?

Well... they do. Surprise!

586052191[/snapback]

That relates to just about every site out there.

So what ? Google toolbar / desktop search / deskbar all this unwanted crap doesn't track your ass ?  :sleep: 

EX :

Google Desktop Search

http://desktop.google.com/en/privacypolicy.html

What information does Google receive?

By default, Google Desktop Search collects a limited amount of non-personal information from your computer and sends it to Google. This includes summary information, such as the number of searches you do and the time it takes for you to see your results, and application reports we'll use to make the program better. :x  You can opt out of sending this information during the installation process or from the application preferences at any time.

Google Web Accelerator

http://webaccelerator.google.com/terms.html

The Google Privacy Policy describes how we treat personal information when you use Google's services, including information provided when you use Google Web Accelerator. In addition, the following describes our practices that are specific to Google Web Accelerator.

Information that we collect when you use Google Web Accelerator

Google does not require any personal information when you download Google Web Accelerator, although we do collect standard information about your computer, such as the type of browser you use, etc.

When you use Google Web Accelerator, Google servers receive and log your page requests. Page requests and data sent in encrypted form using an HTTPS connection will not go through Google. It is possible that some personally identifiable information could be sent to Google, if the information is sent without using an encrypted (HTTPS) connection.

:yes:

585946324[/snapback]

don't use that or yahoo ;)

don't use that or yahoo  ;)

586054167[/snapback]

Indeed, google has built a reputation if violating privacy and I woudn't trust any google software on my system, nor would I use their email system.

Indeed, google has built a reputation if violating privacy and I woudn't trust any google software on my system, nor would I use their email system.

586061308[/snapback]

And what makes you think that Microsoft doesn't do it with Hotmail or MSN Search or the MSN Toolbar? Or any other company providing similar services?

At least google clearly says what they do with the services and information that they acquire. They even say that they keep backups of emails in gmail in case of system failures or if they were invited by the CIA to track down some crazy mofo.

Google isn't any different from Yahoo or Microsoft or Altavista or any other company within the market when looking at the records that they keep track of.

Last thing you should ask to yourself, how does it affect your everyday life?

Sure Google may keep track of my seach queries or keep my emails but what does the competition offer? The competition doesn't offer anything safer, more reliable or cleaner than what Google has to offer and that's why they are expanding and successful at doing so. Gmail is fast and clean with relevant ads. Picasa is kicks ass, Google search engine is the most accurate and dense and Google Local makes finding businesses in North America easy. What does Yahoo or MSN has to offer? Services that mimics Google that's what.

Will it affect your life to know that a company keeps track of what you search on the web or what they keep? If yes, then worry, else stop whining.

It surely doesn't affect my life to know that Google improves its search engine through the Google Accelerator and that they have a copy of my email saying "HEY MARK WE HAD A GREAT NIGHT LAST FRIDAY THAT CHICK WAS SO WASTED" :whistle:

Edited by rainman.

they've been using these "web beacons" for years.

Note: This opt-out applies to a specific browser rather than a specific user. Therefore you will have to opt-out separately from each computer or browser that you use.

Ouchies.