Firefox loses market share

AUGUST 12, 2005 (IDG NEWS SERVICE) - Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer halted the steady market share advance of The Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser in July, a Web site monitoring company announced today.

Last month, Internet Explorer, by far the most used browser, regained lost ground and pushed back the upstart Firefox for the first time since Version 1.0 of the open-source browser debuted late last year, according to NetApplications.com, an Aliso Viejo, Calif., maker of applications for monitoring and measuring Web site usage.

Firefox's share shrunk to 8.07% from 8.71% in June, while Internet Explorer grew its market slice to 87.2% in July from 86.56% last month.

Between January and June, Firefox had posted monthly market share gains of between 0.5% and 1% at the expense of Internet Explorer, according to NetApplications.com, which compiles its browser usage data from more than 40,000 Web sites monitored by its HitsLink.com service.

NetApplications.com has said in the past that reaching a 10% market share would be a milestone for Firefox that could help it win acceptance in the corporate market.

Apple Computer Inc.'s Safari ranked third and grew its share slightly to 2.13% from 1.93%, while America Online Inc.'s Netscape, which once ruled this market, slid a bit to 1.5% from 1.55%. Opera Software ASA's Opera came in fifth with a 0.49% market share.

link

http://www.computerworld.com/developmentto...,103914,00.html

What's wrong with people?  Firefox is much better and customizable than IE and people are still going back to IE.  I just can't believe it.

586369371[/snapback]

Sorry, we're not blinded by fanboys like you :sleep:

The fact that Bonsi Buddy can suddenly appear on my computer with javascript disabled and active x disabled and all scripting whatsoever disabled when i use ie 6 scares me.

The fact that Bonsi Buddy can suddenly appear on my computer with javascript disabled and active x disabled and all scripting whatsoever disabled when i use ie 6 scares me.

586369387[/snapback]

:rofl:

Well this news does seem pretty logical. IE 7 beta seems like a clone of Firefox with ActiveX. Thus more people will just stick to this single browser. Plus users on Vista will also stick with IE 7 because at this point, it aint horrible and has most features requested by the end user.

sounds good, good luck to MS, let's see if they can pull back those numbers they had about a year ago with their new looking browser. I'll be willing to switch back from opera if i like the way it works when it goes final....

586369387[/snapback]

It scares alot of people. :D

This strikes me as odd, people who have been using Firefox for a while suddenly switch to a buggy browser (IE), then again, they could have switched to Opera (cause it has MSIE in the user agent, and i guess they dont check to see if Opera is mentioned, standard installs identify as IE), and hey, that's better than IE.

or they could have switched to OS X, and started using Safari, or Filterset.G might have a rule blocking the tracking stuff.

who really knows, i do find it hard to belive that they switched back to IE though.

Well, as much as I like Firefox, I may switch over to IE7 when it actually is released. This of course all depends on what Mozilla does with Firefox 1.5.

Watch the market share shrink even more for Firefox once Internet Explorer 7 hits. I'm a devote Firefox user, and I will continue to be after MS releases IE 7, but I'm most certainly going to be getting it as well since it does seem to have some promise. I like to actually TRY the software before I make any sort of claims about how good/bad it is, unlike half the people on Neowin.

586369394[/snapback]

never had problems like that, maybe im lucky... or dont click ads that say win 34532$$ or ipods... heh..

or dont click ads that say win 34532$$ or ipods... heh..

586369450[/snapback]

That seems to be the problem with issues many people have with IE. I used IE for 3 years and never had any kind of spyware installed on my browser, let alone my system. The reason I switched to Firefox is because of its tab browsing and extensions.

That seems to be the problem with issues many people have with IE.  I used IE for 3 years and never had any kind of spyware installed on my browser, let alone my system.  The reason I switched to Firefox is because of its tab browsing and extensions.

586369463[/snapback]

(Y)

Same here.

Well, all the 'presentation' work is done, and features wise, IE is catching up, dropping the copying issue. With an interface uplift, skins support, and tighter security, it'll win me back.

I have doubts of your source's tracking ability. I don't believe that I belong to that measly 0.49% of the market. Surely there are more people out there using Opera.

I am not a fanboy, but I have used Maxthon, Avant, IE & Firefox previously over a span of 3 years but Opera is definitely much more secure and feature rich that the rest. I must admit that I haven tried out the IE 7 beta 1 though, and I have no intentions to. I am VERY satisfied with my Opera and I have no reasons to switch. Afterall, as new as it is, what can IE do that Opera cannot? Anyone with me?

What's wrong with people?  Firefox is much better and customizable than IE and people are still going back to IE.  I just can't believe it.

586369371[/snapback]

maybe they dont care if their browser can be customized to do their laundry, all i want in a browser is to be able to display the webpage i want to see

Watch the market share shrink even more for Firefox once Internet Explorer 7 hits. I'm a devote Firefox user, and I will continue to be after MS releases IE 7, but I'm most certainly going to be getting it as well since it does seem to have some promise. I like to actually TRY the software before I make any sort of claims about how good/bad it is, unlike half the people on Neowin.

586369447[/snapback]

I feel the same about it. The only thing that will keep me on firefox is it's css abilities compared to current IE ones. I'm not expecting them to be completly compliant like Safari, but if their close to firefox's level of compatability I may switch. But really who knows I may change my mind tomorrow.

Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer halted the steady market share advance of The Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser in July, a Web site monitoring company announced today.

Which website monitoring company? Is there really a company that just monitors websites?

Sorry, we're not blinded by fanboys like you  :sleep:

586369386[/snapback]

It's perfatcly normal to admit something is good. I like ATI, but I'll admit that Nvidia has best product right now. Facing reality does not mean you are a fanboy.

maybe they dont care if their browser can be customized to do their laundry, all i want in a browser is to be able to display the webpage i want to see

586369491[/snapback]

In that case, you are fine. I know couple of my friends who are new to this internet world and I told them to use IE because more than 99% of the sites are compatable with IE. I am talking about people who complains about security.

586369371[/snapback]

Neowin, is almost all made up of the top 0.5 % of people that are great with computers, that other 99.5% are people that are average, or suck with them, those people are do not modify windows, do not build their own PCS, etc etc. This includes the browser, Internet Explorer comes bundled with the MOST popular operating system on the planet, windows.

Firefox IS a better browser, despite what the IE fanboys' say here. Internet Explorer dominates because of it's Windows counterpart, and as long as it is bundled with windows, IE will dominate, hands down. :(

I have I.E.7 beta 1 Not impressed at all. Tabbed browsing whoopty doo, other browsers had it for years. anti-phising thats a maybe. & does not support css, nor is is acid test 2 compliant but thats a whole seperate debate. in my view ff Is the best and as long as they keep doing what they are doing it will remain so. the only reason ms had 87% of the market is becasue they control the o/s market and its shipped with every computer built with windows. so not a fair comparsion at all. but no matter im sticking with firefox and am I a quote fanboy you bet your a** I am and proud of it.