Firefox loses market share

I've been using Opera for a couple of months now after switching from Firefox and I like it. It works for me and does the things I need it to do. IE7 would have to be extremely impressive to pull me away and so far it doesn't appear to be so. More power to everyone that is switching back. I hope it all works out for you. Now stop arguing like school children.

QUOTE(Gulfisland @ Aug 13 2005, 18:00)

firefox sucks ... it really does.. it takes forever to load on my computer.. and it is very buggy crashes alot...

Just because you dont know how to use/install a program does not mean it sucks. The same argument can be said for internet explorer, but that's the end users problem, not the software. Ive never had a problem with either of the programs, but i just love the extensions available for firefox. Thus, i use firefox.

586372871[/snapback]

I was using Maxthon since the "MyIE" days and recently changed to Firefox thinking that I would finally see what the hoopla was all about, and I must tell you that I was really very disappointed. The lack of control over the tabbing as opposed to Maxthon is light years in comparison. It was also battling to open pages and doing strange things from time to time. Then I found a even better alternative to both Maxthon and Firefox, its called Avant Browser. It definitely is cool and the fastest one I've used so far.

I guess this is a good a thread as any to post this question.

What is the big deal with this W3C support?  I'm no graphic designer, web designer or anything, but from my uninformed point of view, it seems that W3C said "things should be done this way" and MS did them a different way.  Now a lot of sites conform to the way the MS does it because of the high percentage of IE users.  But people still say "it doesn't conform to W3C!"  I remember seeing a webpage in the past that listed some of the things that IE doesn't support, but showed that IE could do the exact same things (in appearance to the end user) but just using different code (I guess).

Basically it seems that to the end user, the appearance of the webpages could be the same, but with different coding, and if over 90% of the market is using IE, why not code it that way and insist that the other 10% conform to them.  I guess I don't understand what makes the W3C the final word.

BTW, I'm asking because I don't know, not to be a troll.

586372887[/snapback]

This is the same as I feel about this debate, what some folk can not get into their heads (or understand the meaning of..."A format, language, or protocol that has become a standard not because it has been approved by a standards organization but because it is widely used and recognized by the industry as being standard.?), is what's referred to as a "de facto standard" in other words, the one that most are using at present! This debate is one that will be hard to argue, or discuss, as most people either side of the argument want to see things their own way!

does IE stop pages instantly for you? it doesn't for me. a lot of the time even if i press stop there will be some delay before the loading page stops, and IE will be unusbale for a few seconds. very annoying. FF's stop button is much more responsive.

586373693[/snapback]

Actually I notice that too and it's somewhat annoying. Firefox is instant. IE is fast too, but it doesn't respond as soon as you press Esc. I think it's because firefox stops and does nothing else while IE renders an error message page.

Some other bugs that really annoy me in IE. If you lose your connection you get a Cannot find server page. If you try reloading the page you still see Cannot find server on the titlebar after the page loads correctly.

Another bug, pressing f5 doesn't refresh sometimes. I can't figure out what causes this bug.

Text sizes mess up get larger, smaller when using the scroll wheel. It usually occurs when you try highlighting text.

Finally, if a page has some images, is scrollable, and IE isn't finished downloading all content, if you try scrolling the page the images will have a ?ghost.? It?s the effect you see when you beat solitaire. IE also becomes unresponsive until the page finishes loading.

The first and last bug I mentioned are more noticeable on slower connections.

Nobody cares what you say.  The fact is, you're wrong.

Some do perhaps care what he says, and actually, he's not wrong on all aspects of his comments.

Don't be such an absolutist, man! Lighten up!

Because IE does everything I want it to do, and it does it better than Firefox.

It doesn't do everything better than Firefox, not by a long shot.

But like Firefox, you can add things to it that make it much more appealing to folks out there.

Firefox has extensions, IE has Maxthon. :)

I was using Maxthon since the "MyIE" days and recently changed to Firefox thinking that I would finally see what the hoopla was all about, and I must tell you that I was really very disappointed. The lack of control over the tabbing as opposed to Maxthon is light years in comparison.

If you add the Tabbrowsing extension to Firefox, you get much of the functionality of Maxthon added to what Firefox already provides. It's not as good as Maxthon imo, but it is pretty darn helpful, I believe.

Because IE does everything I want it to do, and it does it better than Firefox.

586373640[/snapback]

W O W, that's a fanboy.

I was an IE user and sometime I used Firefox and Opera. I used to say that IE was better than all other browsers out there but after I made an investigative project for a class last year or two (I don?t remember) about Internet Browsers (IE, Opera, Firefox, Safari, etc.) I started to use more Firefox and Opera and believe me IE is not near to those browsers.

EDIT: btw, I use Firefox and Opera most of the time but I still use IE

Edited by KoL

:laugh:  Poor Fanboy.

You'll be crying more crocodile tears when IE7 is final before Q4, 2005.  :shifty:

586373110[/snapback]

No you will beleive me I.E. sucks and only difference is the final will have some eye candy thats it. it will still not conform to standards, it will still be non-customizable besides tabs 5 years late. still be full of security hole. and lastly still suck. so we shall see who crys.

No you will beleive me I.E. sucks and  only difference is  the final will have some eye candy thats it. it will still not conform  to standards, it will still be  non-customizable besides tabs  5 years late. still be full of security hole. and lastly  still suck. so we shall see who crys.

IE 6 with Maxthon is very, very functional. :)

Just lock down the Internet Zone, put the sites you want scripting to work with into the Trusted Zone and life is much better right away!

Firefox is buggy right now. I get something like 70% CPU usage on my 1.7 GHz Pentium M on anandtech. Sure the site is full of flash ads. But this a modern processor. Same goes with animated gifs. Firefox is also slow with when you scroll with the mouse wheel.

I stopped using firefox because of those bugs.

586373335[/snapback]

Flash != Firefox

Dont blame firefox because flash has a problem on your computer (and i mean the netscape plugin, IE uses a different control)

and yeah, if your loading a few hundred animated gifs in a web page in firefox, it does struggle a bit (like 60% cpu usage on my 900Mhz)

i would use IE, if it wasnt for all the bugs, but i looked at some pages in firefox and IE, just simple things, IE failed so badly, if you read into it, you will be amazed how bad Trident is (a rewrite would benifit it greatly)

No you will beleive me I.E. sucks and  only difference is  the final will have some eye candy thats it. it will still not conform  to standards, it will still be  non-customizable besides tabs  5 years late. still be full of security hole. and lastly  still suck. so we shall see who crys.

586374423[/snapback]

Non-customizable? Don't speak unless you know what you're talking about.

What the hell do you think add-ons do?

Firefox = big memory hog! (just look up your memory usage when you surf for a while)

IE6 = sucks because no tabbed browsing, no nice plugins like Firefox and less secure then Firefox though Firefox is not really safe that much anymore too

IE7 = Let's see how it turns out, looks promising

Firefox 1.5 = Have no idea, but if they fix memory usage issues, it might be a IE7 killer.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Good! I have money riding on this!

Ok, seriously, I don't care who has the biggest market share, all I care about is that people visit my site can view the information on the site without problem.

IE6 = sucks because no tabbed browsing, no nice plugins like Firefox and less secure then Firefox though Firefox is not really safe that much anymore too

Maxthon, dude. It's all about the Maxthon. :)

There are plugins and add-ons for IE that can help make it better.

Non-customizable?  Don't speak unless you know what you're talking about.

What the hell do you think add-ons do?

586374478[/snapback]

Wait. I just remembered this is a guy that claims he's helping develop a new web browser to be included with the OS his company is developing. Oh, I should so post the PM I have from him on it...

Let the average Joe Sixpack enjoy IE. They all probably think the blue IE icon is "The Internet".

It's safe to say that IE can be as safe as any other browser if properly used by a vigilant user.

Give a crazied maniac a Volvo S60 (Volvo renown for making among the safest cars to drive) and he'll probably crash it within a day.

Well first of all i would like to clarify ever since i tried firefox i have used and and i use all the nightlies and such, now second of all, even tho IE7 does now have tab browsing its not a really a matter of features its a matter of security aslong as IE has top market share it will continue to lose to firefox in safety, neither is completly safe, but firefox by nature will always be safer because it is not the main target of spyware/adware/viruses, and aslong as that remains true firefox will come out on top in security... which is what most day to day users are looking for, heck, i know people who use firefox and dont even use tabs, they just dont want to run a spyware scan everytime they close their browser.

I like seeing Firefox gain more ground but, in the end, I don't really care. I use Firefox cause it is what I like. It will always be the underdog and I fully accept that.

The Gecko engine renders pages better than any other browser, and that much can't really be debated, as any webmaster worth his salt will tell you. It's a shame so many sites are designed to be IE-only or more people would come to know this as well.

I'm also spoiled by Firefox's robust extension system which allows me to do virtually anything I want with my browser. Microsoft would never do this. Too much of a User Support Nightmare for them, I'm sure. Their add-on system is a joke and allows you to integrate with the browser in very limited ways.

I've been using the Firefox 1.5 nightly builds since about a month after the Firefox 1.0 release and have followed the development very closely, submitting bugs and giving input where I can. Not a lot of people care about having a community built around their browser, but I do. It's one of the things I really like about Firefox. We--as a community-- are building the best tool we can so that people can have more freedom and options (and hopefully more security)

Anytime you see IE triumph over Firefox, just remember the very limited resources The Mozilla Foundation has in comparision to Microsoft. That's how I choose to view it.

Wait.  I just remembered this is a guy that claims he's helping develop a new web browser to be included with the OS his company is developing.  Oh, I should so post the PM I have from him on it...

586374568[/snapback]

quote anything you like, i have the browser I.E. 7 true everything isnt included with beta 1 but from talking to miscrsoft and others involved. eyecandy and alot more security no customazation. maybe im wrong but thats whtat they are saying at this point. so till It is showed otherwise. and please post the pm give me lots of publicity. :)

I like seeing Firefox gain more ground but, in the end, I don't really care. I use Firefox cause it is what I like. It will always be the underdog and I fully accept that.

The Gecko engine renders pages better than any other browser, and that much can't really be debated, as any webmaster worth his salt will tell you. It's a shame so many sites are designed to be IE-only or more people would come to know this as well.

I'm also spoiled by Firefox's robust extension system which allows me to do virtually anything I want with my browser. Microsoft would never do this. Too much of a User Support Nightmare for them, I'm sure. Their add-on system is a joke and allows you to integrate with the browser in very limited ways.

I've been using the Firefox 1.5 nightly builds since about a month after the Firefox 1.0 release and have followed the development very closely, submitting bugs and giving input where I can. Not a lot of people care about having a community built around their browser, but I do. It's one of the things I really like about Firefox. We--as a community-- are building the best tool we can so that people can have more freedom and options (and hopefully more security)

Anytime you see IE triumph over Firefox, just remember the very limited resources The Mozilla Foundation has in comparision to Microsoft. That's how I choose to view it.

586375074[/snapback]

Crazy bannanas! Mozilla Corp aren't Robin Hood, they are not Mother Theressa(sp) , they are not Jesus and they dont come to save the world! they make software , like or hate it your choice