Microsoft Announces IE7+ for Vista

In order to differentiate between Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP and Vista, Microsoft on Friday announced "IE7+." The special branding is designed to highlight the additional features IE7 will receive in Vista, including Protected Mode, parental controls, and improved network diagnostics.

"There are no feature differences between IE7 and IE7+ beta 2 other than the ones I mentioned above; we have, however, fixed a bunch of bugs between the two releases," explained IE team member Tony Schreiner. "As always, I?d love to hear your feedback on this naming as well as the product. We?ll have more information on how to sign up for Windows Vista beta 2 with IE7+ shortly."

Link

Its not really news. The Vista version has always had the extra security features, and has always been named and branded as IE7+.

I don't understand why they made it 'official' now.

This may seem like a stupid question, and a bit off topic, but are Microsoft building IE7+ into Vista in the same way they built IE6 into Windows XP? Will IE7+ be able to be deleted without causing any problems?

This may seem like a stupid question, and a bit off topic, but are Microsoft building IE7+ into Vista in the same way they built IE6 into Windows XP? Will IE7+ be able to be deleted without causing any problems?

IE7 will nolonger be intergraded into the operating system.

Do you mean that IE7 for XP is not integrated into the OS? Or just IE7 for Vista?

IE is stuck for the most part on the XP systems. Vista apparently allows the removal of this.

What I don't get is why they'd want to even call it IE7+. Might as well call it ****+. :yes:

--edit

So what, I can't say **** now? Goddamnit.. Well, it has to do with feces. :rofl:

What I don't get is why they'd want to even call it IE7+. Might as well call it ****+. :yes:

--edit

So what, I can't say **** now? Goddamnit.. Well, it has to do with feces. :rofl:

And what's wrong with it? I'm in the IE7 XP beta and, let me tell you, I'm very impressed with it. Or maybe you're just trolling cause it's IE and it's cool to hate IE.

I was under the impression that SP3 for XP will finally separate IE from Explorer? I'm betting they'll get lazy after Vista launch and release a half-assed Rollup instead of SP3 though.

IE is stuck for the most part on the XP systems. Vista apparently allows the removal of this.

--edit

Yay! Cool little 16 year olds following the cool trend!

why does it have mozilla strings ?? I havent follwed the IE7 beta at all ..

IE has always done that because of Netscape's strings I believe. When IE was first being developed, they wanted sites to see IE the same as Netscape.

I think will not use the extra feature of IE+, cuz some of they are for the parents.

I ask myself if those extra feature of IE+ are going to make it slower when it loads IE :rolleyes:

Just another ploy to try to make people excited about an OS that no one is looking forward to.

No one is looking forward to? Riiiiight.

No one is looking forward to? Riiiiight.

Actually, nobody outside of "fans" of MSFT is excited about it. Ask your average Sys Admin and they will give you a "meh" and probably tell you that they will probably wait until they have no choice to deploy it. After the problems they had with XP SP2 deployment breaking older software including software from MSFT, they cannot see anything radically new to get excited about.

Vista is turning out to be a paid service pack for XP when compared with what MSFT hyped and promised at PDC 2003.

I remember a colleague of mine asked if I was running a mac theme when I logged into my machine at head office which had an XP MSStyle port of a Vista theme running on it. She had not been following the development of Vista and mistook the glass look for a copy of Aqua.

:laugh:

I think that should give you guys pause to think about what MSFT is really delivering and whether they are copying Apple once again. If a die hard windows user/developer that has not been following Vista development mistakes the Glass look for Aqua, what do you think the average consumer will think?

I remember a colleague of mine asked if I was running a mac theme when I logged into my machine at head office which had an XP MSStyle port of a Vista theme running on it. She had not been following the development of Vista and mistook the glass look for a copy of Aqua.

I think that should give you guys pause to think about what MSFT is really delivering and whether they are copying Apple once again. If a die hard windows user/developer that has not been following Vista development mistakes the Glass look for Aqua, what do you think the average consumer will think?

Uhh, I think there are deeper rooted issues at work there rather than Vista looking like OS X. In some sick literal sense, mistaking Vista for any OS X version is like mistaking black for white.

Anyone who mistakes a black glass theme for the white aqua theme is a little short handed in certain areas.

Vista is gaining ground and is going to be a big step in the right direction for security for the home user. The fact that IE7+ alone will run in a protected mode giving room between it and the rest of the system is a god send. UAC, while a bit misguided in it's current implementation, will also be a blessing in disguise once people get out of the habit of clicking "yes" to everything.

To say this is nothing but a service pack is short handed as the list of improvements go on and on. Hell, the fact that the amount of reboots needed, even for system updates, will be cut down drastically, will make many people, including sys admins very happy.

Actually, nobody outside of "fans" of MSFT is excited about it. Ask your average Sys Admin and they will give you a "meh" and probably tell you that they will probably wait until they have no choice to deploy it. After the problems they had with XP SP2 deployment breaking older software including software from MSFT, they cannot see anything radically new to get excited about.

Vista is turning out to be a paid service pack for XP when compared with what MSFT hyped and promised at PDC 2003.

I don't think the average consumer will give a damn.

I don't know what's everyone complaining about. If you don't like IE7+ then don't use it. It's not like you get a jail sentence from Microsoft if you don't use it or get a goodie bag for every positive comment. Why everyone wants to waste their breath about this I have no idea. And don't say because it's cool because I'll kick you all the way to Timbuktu for that comment.

Suffice to say, IE7 on XP has been very good for me especially QuickTabs and the Anti-Phising Filter. With IE7+ running in protected mode as bangbang023 has said, it will run in a much more secure environment, limiting the amount of damage of a certain attack if a user does something wrong. So enough with the IE7+ performing below expectations or that it's just a useless feature. Just be happy with whatever browser you're using as you're not getting paid for every bad comment about IE7+.

PSG22

Edited by PSG22

Anyone who mistakes a black glass theme for the white aqua theme is a little short handed in certain areas.

Vista is gaining ground and is going to be a big step in the right direction for security for the home user. The fact that IE7+ alone will run in a protected mode giving room between it and the rest of the system is a god send. UAC, while a bit misguided in it's current implementation, will also be a blessing in disguise once people get out of the habit of clicking "yes" to everything.

To say this is nothing but a service pack is short handed as the list of improvements go on and on. Hell, the fact that the amount of reboots needed, even for system updates, will be cut down drastically, will make many people, including sys admins very happy.

I don't think the average consumer will give a damn.

I dont think you can convince the average consumer to either 1) upgrade to vista, 2) buy a computer capable of vista or 3) believe that Vista is more secure than XP...most dont even care or know about computer security.