Windows Live Messenger Release Delayed

Last week we were told the new incarnation of Microsoft's Messenger would be released on may 16th. Today we were informed by our source, who is involved in the launch process of the software, that there is going to be a delay of uncertain length. So (as everybody actually expected) there's not going to be a Windows Live Messenger release on 06/16.

Source: WinFuture.de (German)

Digg it!

This is why rumors and gossip is not accepted as formal evidence.

Microsoft didn't announce publically they would release on the 16th, so therefore, it's not really a "delay", but only a later release date.

I heard the so-called "final" build for June 16th was good but a bit buggy, not ready for release. I figured this was going to happen. My GUESS is that it'll be out by the end of June.

Is the BETA public? And can anyone with a hotmail account sign in? I feel like trying out the new UI, can I have this installated along with MSN7.5? Or does it overwrite..?

ANYONE can sign in - but it will overwrite msn messenger

IMO you should never trust Microsoft release dates (although WLM wasnt confirmed by Microsoft), because absolutely nothing is released on time anymore (when were we suposed to have vista again?? :))

I never pay much attention to release dates for anything. People always moan about the delays on MS products (although Vista is bad for delays), but it seems to be quite the norm amongst software companies these days.

I remember back in April 2005 (I think), I read that Rainbow Six 4 was due for release in July that year. Then come July it was August, and come August it was Jan 2006.

I actually think companies shouldn't give too precise release dates for software, as software developement can be delayed at any time.

I don't know why people are upset about this. Friday was never confirmed by Microsoft as a release date so it's not really a delay. It's just another speculated release date. Until Microsoft comes out and gives us a date and then pushes that back, it's not a delay.

:|

Anyhow, I'm sure almost everyone here has a copy of WLM anyway. Invites are coming out of testers ears. :p

sigh..

Oh well, patience is a virtue... :whistle: :shifty: :laugh: .

PSG22?

who doesnt have WLM already anyway? :p

Me, and most of my friends.

I'm not really bothered about it, unless there have been some major improvements over 7.5. 7.5 was just MSN 6 with some stupid, un-useful features bolted on.

no big deal really.just have to wait a few more days or weeks.

Agreed, we might get a suprise for being patient. I'm hoping that Microsoft will release a Windows Live Messenger that enables connectivity to Yahoo! Messenger soon. If not, we just have to be patient and wait for the next release :D .

PSG22?

Well they already stated there will be MSN Messeger/Yahoo Messenger interoperability in the future. Just have to be patient. That'll definitely be a great step. As for this delay...it doesn't surprise me.