MS Overcomes Final Vista Hurdles, Heads to RTM

A week and a half ago, online reports about an internal countdown clock at Microsoft verified my early 2006 report that the software giant was pushing for an October 25 Windows Vista RTM (release to manufacturing). But last week, Microsoft co-president Jim Allchin admitted that the company had run into a snag and Microsoft wouldn't hit its long-planned RTM date. As of today, however, Microsoft is back on track. Here's what's happening.

In an interview with Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet last week, Mr. Allchin said that Microsoft wouldn't be able to RTM Vista by this week. "We are in pretty good shape," he told Foley. "And there are still months before (the January 2007) launch."

Allchin was alluding to an internal timetable that I previously reported on in WinInfo: He had previously told the Windows Division that Microsoft could afford to postpone Vista's RTM as late as November 8 and still meet its November and January launch requirements. However, each delay comes with a price, he said: For each day past October 25, Microsoft will ship one fewer localized, language-specific version of Vista for the January launch.

I've found out that the source of Mr. Allchin's concerns was an unexpectedly buggy pre-RTM build of Windows Vista that surprised the company. The previous Friday, Microsoft pushed Windows Vista build 5824 into escrow, hoping that this build could qualify as the final shipping version. But a catastrophic problem with the build destroyed any systems that upgraded from Windows XP, requiring complete reinstalls. After a frantic several days of trying to find the bug, Microsoft finally fixed the problem last Friday and reset escrow. Microsoft on Friday internally released build 5840, which did not include the problem. Testing over the weekend produced positive feedback.

Windows Vista build 5840 includes a surprising number of brand new and final icons, and a new set of final wallpapers, including a new default wallpaper that is a variation of the Aurora "swoosh" that Microsoft has been using as a Vista identifier since it announced the branding in July 2005. There are no major functional changes.

Oh, and that internal countdown clock? Last week, it was reset to countdown to November 8, and not October 25. It's not clear, however, whether Microsoft will be able to RTM Vista before the later date, and which, if any, language-specific versions of Vista will be dropped.

Source

i'm still confused on this..

WHY exactly did you people think there were going to be new themes? They've said it for over a year now, AERO is ALL YOU GET OUT OF THE BOX!

November the 8th or before is my understanding of the post. Does anyone know a date for launch in 2007 for the general public? PC world uk has 2nd of feb but i havent really heard an official time/date?

Good I am glad its finally getting to RTM. Hopefully I can buy an OEM version before launch but doubtful, I will wait, maybe for just a retail of Premium.

Windows Vista build 5840 includes a surprising number of brand new and final icons, and a new set of final wallpapers, including a new default wallpaper that is a variation of the Aurora "swoosh" that Microsoft has been using as a Vista identifier since it announced the branding in July 2005. There are no major functional changes.

Wonder what the new wallpaper looks like. Something that he might have missed in this, or maybe he didn't miss it. Where are the new sounds? If that is the final build for Vista the sounds should be included to it, there is not a build after RTM to final :unsure: . I'd be happy if those sounds would leak I watched that video from Microsoft, I just want to know how they turned out haha.

So, the rumors of 6000 for the final build were off by a bit :/

I'm happy it's done, I can't wait until the university gets Ultimate.

They can still jump up to 6000 for marketing purposes.

The final build may technically be 5840, but when you get your copy in January, the build number may actually be 6000.

i'm still confused on this..

WHY exactly did you people think there were going to be new themes? They've said it for over a year now, AERO is ALL YOU GET OUT OF THE BOX!

It's not "you people", it's only a couple of people that have been bitching about this and Vista in general. It's just that the bitchy ones are very vocal and just don't stop. They post repeatedly in any thread remotely about Vista. So it just seems like everyone at Neowhine is bitching about Vista and these fantasy themes. The ones that are happy with Vista continue to use it.

Where I come from the squeaky wheel gets thrown away.

It's not "you people", it's only a couple of people that have been bitching about this and Vista in general. It's just that the bitchy ones are very vocal and just don't stop. They post repeatedly in any thread remotely about Vista. So it just seems like everyone at Neowhine is bitching about Vista and these fantasy themes. The ones that are happy with Vista continue to use it.

Where I come from the squeaky wheel gets thrown away.

Yeah, "you people" was meant more towards them, not a generalization of everyone here. I dig the Vista and Aero interface. I don't want them to change a thing, personally.

They can still jump up to 6000 for marketing purposes.

The final build may technically be 5840, but when you get your copy in January, the build number may actually be 6000.

anyone noticing a trend with bulid numbers:

whister/xp betas: 2xxxxx

longhorn/vista : 3xxxx , 4xxxx, 5xxxxx --final 6xxxx ??? ---

Fiji - 7xxxx??

Vienna 8xxxx ???

I know the last 2 were way early but a nice trend going on.

Edited by Tech_Dude_5000

anyone noticing a trend with bulid numbers:

whister/xp betas: 2xxxxx

longhorn/vista : 3xxxx , 4xxxx, 5xxxxx --final 6xxxx ??? ---

Fiji - 7xxxx??

Vienna 8xxxx ???

I know the last 2 were way early but a nice trend going on.

Fiji?