Ultimate Users: What Ultimate feature have you used...

i only really play texas hold em... havnt used the bitlocker thing cause i dont need to encrypt my data.

not much else really, just the usual stuff like wmp11 and ie7

I haven't used any of the features of Ultimate, but I don't use Vista on my MacBook Pro for anything but light gaming.

Only thing good about Ultimate is that it comes with RDP. I am completely torn between Vista Business and Ultimate. As I don't really need Media Center, I will probably stick with Business. I wish we know what additional bonuses that Ultimate users are going to get (the current ones are pretty lame).

I use BitLocker, DreamScene. But more important for me is possibility to use few languages. For example my Vista Ultimate is Polish, but I downloaded English language pack and I use english interface.

Im one of those people that need to know they have the best there is. Thats why I bought Vista Ultimate. Wish they'd hurry up with DreamScene.... i mean whats the hold-up?

The ability to join a domain and have media center.

:yes: Primarily the domain issue.

Also, as a system builder, I needed at least one copy just to be able to support potential customers who have or may get Ultimate at some point. Gotta be prepared...

Ultimate is more of a long term investment IMO, considering only 3 updates have come out. I love dreamscene and Hold-Em though. Media Center of course. :)

Media Center is in Home Premium so that doesn't count :rolleyes:. But I love the new Media Center in Vista :D. Definitely an improvement over XP MCE 2005.

Glad I went with Home Premium. About the only thing that I might use that someone has mentioned is the RDP support for logging into my computer remotely. I use to use this feature all the time with XP Pro, but within the last year or so I've lost my interest in it and haven't really used it. I don't need to connect to a domain with it and if I needed a web server I would likely go with Apache.

I certainly understand some people's need of having the very best version of a product. If it were only $50 more over Home Premium then I would have gone for it, but it was more then that and I didn't really see a reason for it. This thread has confirmed that so thanks!

Media Center

Remote Desktop

Shadow Copy

Complete PC Backup

Ultimate Extras (whenever we get some good ones)

Media Center is in Home Premium so that doesn't count :rolleyes:. But I love the new Media Center in Vista :D. Definitely an improvement over XP MCE 2005.

Yeah, but every feature with the exception of Ultimate Extras is in some other SKU: Home Premium, Business, or Enterprise. It is the combination of features that is relevant to this discussion. For example, you can't get remote desktop functionality with Media Center.

Yeah, but every feature with the exception of Ultimate Extras is in some other SKU: Home Premium, Business, or Enterprise. It is the combination of features that is relevant to this discussion. For example, you can't get remote desktop functionality with Media Center.

I'm not sure I follow you... In Ultimate you can have remote desktop functionality AND Media Center. Home Premium doesn't allow Remote Desktop logins and Buisness/Enterprise does not have Media Center. How, or why, are you relating the two?

I'm not sure I follow you... In Ultimate you can have remote desktop functionality AND Media Center. Home Premium doesn't allow Remote Desktop logins and Buisness/Enterprise does not have Media Center. How, or why, are you relating the two?

Exactly. While Enterprise supports Remote Desktop, it doesn't support Media Center. Only Ultimate supports both; Ultimate also supports DreamScene (which is in no other SKU of Vista). I, naturally, use all three. (Texas Hold' Em isn't bad, either, though it's not in a class with WSOP TOC.)

I had to purchase Ultimate because I wanted Remote Desktop and Media Center. That combined functionality is not in Business or Home Premium but I would have purchased one of those if it did.

So, in essence, the only Ultimate "feature" is Ultimate Extras. What's really unique about the SKU is the combination of features.

Media Center

Remote Desktop

Shadow Copy

Complete PC Backup

Ultimate Extras

Same here except for the complete PC backup. (My confidence in Vista's backup software recently took a major hit. I'm switching to Nero BackItUp instead.)

just thinking about the progression of XP, thinking about how close to the beginning we are right now; I think Vista has a long way to go. Think over the next 4 years what other Ultimate extras will be released.

For now, I've taken advantage of none of the extra, and doubt I will.