DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2009)

The Definitive Linux Poll for 2009!  

809 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro? (multiples allowed, if you use a couple)

• Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/*buntu
    • Debian/Mepis/Knoppix/Kanotix/Xandros/Elive/Other Debian
    • Fedora Core/Redhat/RHEL/CentOS/WBEL
    • OpenSUSE/SUSE/Novell
    • Gentoo/Sabayon
    • Mandriva/PCLinuxOS
    • Slackware/Slax/Zenwalk
    • Arch/Shift
    • Linspire/Freespire
    • Damn Small/Puppy
  2. 2. Which destop environment / window manager? (multiples allowed)

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • XFCE
    • fluxbox/blackbox/openbox/LXDE
    • Enlightenment/E17
    • IceWM
    • TWM or something equally basic
    • GUI? pft. CLI or die!
    • other
    • whatever my distro came with. Is there a choice?
  3. 3. I use Linux for... (multiples allowed)

• Desktop (for school, work, home, games)
    • Media Centre (primarily for videos & music)
    • Server (web,ftp,file/print)
    • I don't really use it for anything but learning Linux
    • I've only ever used it as a LiveCD, or to recover files from a non-bootable OS
    • Other

Since the original poll is 2 years old, and even I have switched distros from Red Hat to Xubuntu, I thought that a fresh start was in order for Neowin.

For me, *buntu, fluxbox and desktop. While I have XFCE installed, it is just for the kids to use, and I don't personally boot into an XFCE session for my own use.

P.S. Can a mod lock & unpin the old and replace it with this? Thanks.

I use to use a Live CD of Ubuntu to play around when a new version is released, or, when I'm bored, download and install ubuntu, opensuse or whatever.

Actually, I'm not a Linux user, but i like to try some distros sometimes.

I've tried various versions of Ubuntu and such but I've never really been able to completely switch from Vista. Having tried Windows 7 I see less of reason to switch even though I really like the customization that can be had with Linux. I do some online gaming so that somewhat seals the deal for me.

To me Linux remains an obscure and hostile environment, even with Ubuntu. Last week I've been meddling with a Ubuntu install on a Virtual Box vm, and I was litteraly spending 90% on my time on Google trying to find instructions for simple tasks, like get Code::Blocks up and running or install Mono. Maybe some distros are better than Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is supposedly a distro for my grandmother. :blink: I don't hate my grandmother that much, thank you.

So, not voting until I find some distro I actually like.

Gentoo on the desktop computer. I haven't reinstalled the OS for... seven years already?

Ubuntu on my own laptop and my laptop at work.

Linpus on the aspire one :p

KDE 3.5 on the desktop and gnome on both laptops (+compiz, which comes really handy to distract client's attention when something goes wrong :p ).

I used to like Enlightenment a lot but got out of touch with it when they introduced the "shelves" stuff.

Slackware, KDE 4.2 at the moment, two day ago it was Fedora 10, KDE 4.1, three days ago it was Kubuntu , KDE 4.1, learning Linux is my main goal right now. That's why I settled on Slackware, so I can get my hands dirty. Gentoo or Linux from scratch are probably in the near future. :)

Is it possible to add tiled windows manager to the pool? This include DWM, xmonad, awesome, poisonrat, ION and some other.

BTW:

Gentoo

KDE/AwesomeWM

Everything (desktop, server, HTPC, workstation, embeded)

Well I have Ubuntu 8.04LTS installed via Wubi and although I am a long time Windows User I have to say i'm very impressed with it.

I've tried various versions of Ubuntu and such but I've never really been able to completely switch from Vista. Having tried Windows 7 I see less of reason to switch even though I really like the customization that can be had with Linux. I do some online gaming so that somewhat seals the deal for me.

I switched mainly because i didn't want to pay an inflated price for a Mac so i thought i would switch to Linux i can just do without the hassle of updating anti-virus's, malware/adaware programs etc (yes, i'm very computer savvy and haven't seen a virus in about 10 months)

I tend to go with Fedora + Gnome, I've been following Fedora since the Fedora Core days back in v1 and 2.

If I had a second choice, I would say Ubuntu.