DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2009)

The Definitive Linux Poll for 2009!  

809 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro? (multiples allowed, if you use a couple)

• Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/*buntu
    • Debian/Mepis/Knoppix/Kanotix/Xandros/Elive/Other Debian
    • Fedora Core/Redhat/RHEL/CentOS/WBEL
    • OpenSUSE/SUSE/Novell
    • Gentoo/Sabayon
    • Mandriva/PCLinuxOS
    • Slackware/Slax/Zenwalk
    • Arch/Shift
    • Linspire/Freespire
    • Damn Small/Puppy
  2. 2. Which destop environment / window manager? (multiples allowed)

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • XFCE
    • fluxbox/blackbox/openbox/LXDE
    • Enlightenment/E17
    • IceWM
    • TWM or something equally basic
    • GUI? pft. CLI or die!
    • other
    • whatever my distro came with. Is there a choice?
  3. 3. I use Linux for... (multiples allowed)

• Desktop (for school, work, home, games)
    • Media Centre (primarily for videos & music)
    • Server (web,ftp,file/print)
    • I don't really use it for anything but learning Linux
    • I've only ever used it as a LiveCD, or to recover files from a non-bootable OS
    • Other

I've changed to fedora 10 for now. It seems MUCH faster and more responsive than both ubuntu and suse for me. Also they keep they're packaged way more up to date.

Also the boot time is incredible, faster than vista dn other distros I have tried.

Also for some reason suse's grub install ALWAYS nukes my windows vista boot loader whenever I want to remove it, never happens with other distros. It completely corrupts my bcd registry and I can't use any apps like easybcd to rewrite my windows bootloader like I usually do. So be careful installing grub over your windows bootloader with suse 11.1, i've reproduced this happening a couple times.

@rson451- is that the new shift logo you're using for an avatar? That looks pretty sweet. :D

It was my own foolish musings in inkscape. It's gone now for I feel bad representing Shift with the negative posts I tend to make on this forum.

I'm playing around with Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha and I'm very impressed. Ext 4 is really noticeably faster. It just doesn't feel like an alpha. It runs very smooth. I know there will be some rough patches ahead (like currently, as they are upgrading python....a lot of stuff breaks) until we reach final, but the final should be the best ever.

I'm playing around with Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha and I'm very impressed. Ext 4 is really noticeably faster. It just doesn't feel like an alpha. It runs very smooth. I know there will be some rough patches ahead (like currently, as they are upgrading python....a lot of stuff breaks) until we reach final, but the final should be the best ever.

I was going to try that but ati still has no drivers for the new version of xorg the alpha has. and the radeonhd drivers are teh suck on my card.

^ I was a bit surprised but the radeon drivers worked perfectly for my old x1300. That's the first time that ever happened. I knew they were working on the radeon drivers but I didn't know they were that far along.

I was trying to make the switch but then I broke my leg and I was stranded away from any computer with Linux on it , now I'm back and I'm getting ready to get back in the game again ... I use Linux mainly for some of its software and tweaks , there are lots of stuff you can do with Linux and my main system is Xubuntu with XFCE

^ I was a bit surprised but the radeon drivers worked perfectly for my old x1300. That's the first time that ever happened. I knew they were working on the radeon drivers but I didn't know they were that far along.

Yes I have one machine with an old x300 and out of the box compiz works and everything. Hopefully some day that will be the case in my laptop card too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Arch. I'd been so used to Slackware and I always found it a headache when there weren't packages available had to compile my self (I know things have improved). Arch is all i686 compiled, pacman is a breeze to use.

I know people complain that E17 isn't all that featureful. I just want a GUI that works, is stable and has enough functionality. I think this is the snappiest WM I've ever used. I have the ATI 9.1 Catalyst installed on my system and X.org + E17 it blows away Windows and OS X - speed wise anyways ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Using Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 here with Gnome (and Compiz obviously :p)

I use it as a main Desktop PC and as a Media Centre :)

• 1 month later...

A couple of things really surprised me here. One, was the amount of people who used the *buntu family, and two, the number of people who use Gnome over KDE. I would have thought things would be a little tighter.

My home has been using Ubuntu only for about 6 months now, and we love it. My rig originally came with Windows vista so I can install it if I want to, but I have just fallen head over heals with Ubuntu and Linux in General. I did download the Windows 7 RC & install it in virtualbox, it's ok but I really can't see any reasons for me to purchase it.

Slackware + KDE 3.5. I will be using KDE 4.2 when the next version of Slackware is released. I use KDE 4 on OpenSuSE and I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been fiddling about with Elive for a while now .. especially the latest 'Compiz' version!

I much prefer the Enlightenment/E17 experience to anything else out there ...

Dual-booting with my main Win 7 stuff though.

Debian "Lenny" + gnome + desktop, server, media, fiddling with linux.

Gentoo is a ***** to install... gag, I've done it thrice... never again!

I'm dual booting Linux Mint 7 (Gnome) and Windows 7 on all of my machines.

If either Linux or Mac would get their act together when it comes to securing native installs/support for games then I'd be far more inclined to use one of those as my main operating system. Emulation and virtualization simply do not cut it.

As it stands now, I'm in Windows 7 90% of the time because I know that as soon as I get a break in the workload I'm going to fire-up a game and I want it to work full speed without any layers of abstraction between me and my framerate.

It's picky and petty but I build my machines to play games...the fact that you can do work on them is just an unfortunate side-effect ;)

It seems that I had not voted in this year's poll. Strange...

I'm starting to like LXDE. It is the new default desktop for Knoppix (at least the 6.0.1 CD edition). I'm not 100% on this but it seems to be based on openbox (although, it doesn't look anything like other derivatives such as fluxbox). I guess that is why it shares a line on this year's poll.