DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2009)

The Definitive Linux Poll for 2009!  

809 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

markjensen

Since the original poll is 2 years old, and even I have switched distros from Red Hat to Xubuntu, I thought that a fresh start was in order for Neowin.

For me, *buntu, fluxbox and desktop. While I have XFCE installed, it is just for the kids to use, and I don't personally boot into an XFCE session for my own use.

P.S. Can a mod lock & unpin the old and replace it with this? Thanks.

Gabotril

I use to use a Live CD of Ubuntu to play around when a new version is released, or, when I'm bored, download and install ubuntu, opensuse or whatever.

Actually, I'm not a Linux user, but i like to try some distros sometimes.

Paixao

I love linux. I just don't convert to it totally because of some compatibility stuff,

brentaal

- Ubuntu CLI

- Openbox

- Desktop/server and just about everything else

MR_Candyman

I love Slackware (and VectorLinux) and Damn Small Linux. I liek both KDE and Fluxbox. I use it for everything

Crackler

I've tried various versions of Ubuntu and such but I've never really been able to completely switch from Vista. Having tried Windows 7 I see less of reason to switch even though I really like the customization that can be had with Linux. I do some online gaming so that somewhat seals the deal for me.

Andre S.

To me Linux remains an obscure and hostile environment, even with Ubuntu. Last week I've been meddling with a Ubuntu install on a Virtual Box vm, and I was litteraly spending 90% on my time on Google trying to find instructions for simple tasks, like get Code::Blocks up and running or install Mono. Maybe some distros are better than Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is supposedly a distro for my grandmother. :blink: I don't hate my grandmother that much, thank you.

So, not voting until I find some distro I actually like.

ichi

Gentoo on the desktop computer. I haven't reinstalled the OS for... seven years already?

Ubuntu on my own laptop and my laptop at work.

Linpus on the aspire one :p

KDE 3.5 on the desktop and gnome on both laptops (+compiz, which comes really handy to distract client's attention when something goes wrong :p ).

I used to like Enlightenment a lot but got out of touch with it when they introduced the "shelves" stuff.

DavidM

Slackware, KDE 4.2 at the moment, two day ago it was Fedora 10, KDE 4.1, three days ago it was Kubuntu , KDE 4.1, learning Linux is my main goal right now. That's why I settled on Slackware, so I can get my hands dirty. Gentoo or Linux from scratch are probably in the near future. :)

Knife Party

OpenSuse + Gnome or Xubuntu (Y)

Elv13

Is it possible to add tiled windows manager to the pool? This include DWM, xmonad, awesome, poisonrat, ION and some other.

BTW:

Gentoo

KDE/AwesomeWM

Everything (desktop, server, HTPC, workstation, embeded)

neo158

Well I have Ubuntu 8.04LTS installed via Wubi and although I am a long time Windows User I have to say i'm very impressed with it.

rson451

Arch + dwm, more than a year now. Arch for over 2 years.

megamanXplosion

Fedora — Gnome — Desktop, Server

ViperAFK

I'm a big fan of opensuse 11.1 + gnome.

spd21
I've tried various versions of Ubuntu and such but I've never really been able to completely switch from Vista. Having tried Windows 7 I see less of reason to switch even though I really like the customization that can be had with Linux. I do some online gaming so that somewhat seals the deal for me.

I switched mainly because i didn't want to pay an inflated price for a Mac so i thought i would switch to Linux i can just do without the hassle of updating anti-virus's, malware/adaware programs etc (yes, i'm very computer savvy and haven't seen a virus in about 10 months)

teaumaz

ubuntu + gnome on my desktop

xubuntu + xfce on my laptop

Iian K

I tend to go with Fedora + Gnome, I've been following Fedora since the Fedora Core days back in v1 and 2.

If I had a second choice, I would say Ubuntu.

Behemoth

Desktop - Debian and Fedora C7, both with Gnome

Laptop - Crunchbang Linux w/ openbox and wmii

Fred Derf
P.S. Can a mod lock & unpin the old and replace it with this? Thanks.

done

brentaal

Switched to debian (sid) xfce since last post.

Behemoth

@rson451- is that the new shift logo you're using for an avatar? That looks pretty sweet. :D

Growled
I'm a big fan of opensuse 11.1 + gnome.

+1 It's a really great combo.