WMP12 win7 7100, Stop WMP12 from touching folder.jpg files

I know there is at least one person from WMP team on the forums.

While Win7 is still being developed, please stop WMP12 from touching folder.jpg files fore music folders.

I had most files at 500x500 at least, and WMP12 changed them all to 200x200.

Zune doesn't resize files, why is WMP12 doing it, WMP11 does it sometimes as well, time to get rid of this stupid "feature".

200x200 jpg looks horrible on Media Player, like zune for example.

Turn if off in Options-> Library-> "Automatic media information udates for files" and/or Privacy-> "update music files..."?

You also had the choice when you first ran WMP 12.

+1

All my folders.jpg is 600x600! ... and even that we can disable, i think it must be disabled by default...

I really don't understand what's happening to WMP: first the ID3/tags editor was gone... the developers should think about their concurrents: iTunes and Amarok

fine, i know that it can be disabled that way.

But it should be turned off all together, I want WMP to update stuff like composer, year etc... but leave the folder.jpg ALONE!

btw, disabled the auto update setting in WMP12. Loaded all my music again all 58GB of it, and it again resized all folder.jpg files to 200x200.

This is complete bull****

What's the circumstance when this happens? Is there embedded album art already in the file(s) *and* a (different?) folder.jpg but no albumartsmall.jpg ?

Are there Windows 7 RC release notes out? I'd think there might be the place for more information on this subject. A quick Process Monitor spelunk shows a couple obvious points of interest, but perhaps MS has some better communication on that subject.

It would be good to understand the scenario in which your music is having album art regenerated. That regeneration is probably the actual problem...

Finally Someone touched the dreaded topic about pathetic 200x200 album art size. Its so 2001. If my embeded album art is 500x500 why should a media player waste its time to downsize those images ??

Also all my 200x200 album art looks horrid on Media Center on TV.

What are the devs thinking ???

Where all other players are adding new features, WMP is going back to stone age.

To be honest, the current state of WMP 12 is a complete mess. Heck it feels like some pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre alpha

Snake, now Media Center shows the album art that Is Inserted In the music file tag, so If there Is an higher resolution album art inserted In the file tag, than Media Center will show up a higher resolution when played.

Please try It out.

Indeed billy gun they seem to have improved this WMC version. The files I checked didnt had embedded art ;) but its downloaded art was still 200x200

But I mostly use WMP 12 which doesnt show cover art atall in now playing mode. lol. Shame because WMP11,12 have the best sound quality in my opinion

And my media library gets corrupted every now and then

What's the circumstance when this happens? Is there embedded album art already in the file(s) *and* a (different?) folder.jpg but no albumartsmall.jpg ?

Are there Windows 7 RC release notes out? I'd think there might be the place for more information on this subject. A quick Process Monitor spelunk shows a couple obvious points of interest, but perhaps MS has some better communication on that subject.

It would be good to understand the scenario in which your music is having album art regenerated. That regeneration is probably the actual problem...

all files have embedded art, folder.jpg is the same as embedded thanks to Tag&Rename. albumartsmall.jpg is missing in most folders, only few have it.

WMP12 resizes the folder.jpg even when albumartsmall.jpg is present in folder.

I haven't installed zune on win7 yet, but on vista when wmp11 sometimes resized folder.jpg. zune then picks up the 200x200 art when it syncs and end result is horrible album art on zune.

This feature of resizing should be removed all together.

Yeah WMP12 is the only thing I don't like about windows 7 tbh. The visualization options really need to be updated, they're the same as XP. Yeah you can download some addition visualizations but it seems like microsoft should be able to cook up something better as a default visualization. Also, there's some serious inconsistencies as well, such as when I go into full screen mode. The visualization changes from a custom one I have to the bars one, and there's no way to change it. (Build 7000) Also, if I go to full screen mode of now playing and right click I can change the speed of the song (slow, normal and fast) but when I exit out of full screen mode and right click it doesn't have that option. It might just be a build 7000 issue, i dunno.

Yeah WMP12 is the only thing I don't like about windows 7 tbh.

Didn't know people still used WMP.

Been using Media Player Classic Home Cinema 64 for about 2 years now

MPC is great at what it does, but it doesn't have a media library.

I too am not a big fan of WMP; so in precious windows (XP and Vista) I would shut it off using Adding/Deleting Programs/Features. In Win 7 you can't do that, you can turn off IE 8, but not WMP.

people, generally speaking, are too lazy to install ANOTHER video player if the one that comes with the SO are enough for them. including myself.

i only miss these things in WMP12:

- a decent tag editor

- integration with LAME

- MKV support

- bulk tagging

- decent support for subtitles (both formats and features, like GOM Player)

i generally like WMP, 11 was decent verison, but with 12 they made many bad decisions.

And I want WMP to leave folder.jpg alone, Zune software doesn't touch those files, why can't they just copy that bit of code from zune and add it to WMP12.

So how exactly do you reproduce your issue of the album art being overwritten? You say the albumartsmall existed, which indicates you have the "initial" condition to compare to - what is that? Is the "new" (bad) album art from the file itself or from the 'net?

The visualization options really need to be updated, they're the same as XP. Yeah you can download some addition visualizations but it seems like microsoft should be able to cook up something better as a default visualization.
To be fair, that's eye candy, versus other stuff those people could/should be focusing on. :)
I too am not a big fan of WMP; so in precious windows (XP and Vista) I would shut it off using Adding/Deleting Programs/Features. In Win 7 you can't do that, you can turn off IE 8, but not WMP.
As noted, that's not the case. Plus in XP/Vista, that just hides the icons/app. It's actually *removed* in Windows 7.

But that stuff is kinda a tangent. :)

I've always been annoyed with this "feature." Even though I don't use Windows Media Player as default for any file type, some how Windows or WMP manages to replace my higher resolution folder.jpg. I've tried protecting under properties, and for the most part that has worked, but it can be tedious when you have over 3000 albums.

So how exactly do you reproduce your issue of the album art being overwritten? You say the albumartsmall existed, which indicates you have the "initial" condition to compare to - what is that? Is the "new" (bad) album art from the file itself or from the 'net?

all i did was copy my entire music folder from vista machine (all with correct folder.jpg), to win7 machine. Had download information from internet disabled in WMP12 both in library and privacy tab. On initial start of WMP12 all folder.jpg files started getting resized to 200x200.

One workaround is to select all jpg files in music folder and remove all write permissions from them.

Why can't this inconvenience just removed, what purpose does it serve.

I've always been annoyed with this "feature." Even though I don't use Windows Media Player as default for any file type, some how Windows or WMP manages to replace my higher resolution folder.jpg. I've tried protecting under properties, and for the most part that has worked, but it can be tedious when you have over 3000 albums.

i know what you mean, in a way this is somewhat like malware. When computer software does something without users acknowledgment.

Reason why I'm this up now, since Win7 and WMP12 is still under development there is a chance MS will stop this. Because once OS goes final it will get be changed/removed.

All i need are these improvements in wmp 12

1. Show higher res album art in now playing window

2. Permanently show artist and song name in bold bigger font in now playing window

3. Full tag editor in library

4. Remember now playing window size on starting to play a video/audio file

5. A slightly light colored now playing window to somewhat match library color tone

Am i demanding too much ?

I haven't checked my own install (currently at work) but all my artwork is in my songs and I don't have/create folder.jpg. In Now playing, my artwork is proper high res version. May I ask why are you creating folder.jpg when they are not required in the first place?

I haven't checked my own install (currently at work) but all my artwork is in my songs and I don't have/create folder.jpg. In Now playing, my artwork is proper high res version. May I ask why are you creating folder.jpg when they are not required in the first place?
For shell/media center/wmp/etc consumption the system uses folder.jpg and albumartsmall.jpg. So you want those files to exist. If those exist, the album art extractor should not be triggered.

Ok, another bit of info.

tried this little scenario. had WMP12 running for about 30+ minutes (watching video), it managed to resize almost all my folder.jpg to 200x200. Removed all small folder.jpg files. Started zune and zune manged to replace all folder.jpg in correct res. Then started WMP12 again, and WMP started resizing them again.

zachdms you keep mentioning album art extractor, if it was just an extractor then it should extract the correct res from the file and place correct folder.jpg. This is album art resizer.

Edited by nekrosoft13