HP TouchPad fire sale 99$ CAD

Is there any way to install a Windows OS on one of these? Windows 8 here I come.

I believe it's an ARM chip, and there is no ARM version of windows (except CE and 7) ...... YET... WIndows 8 will be the first one

Who cares, it's a perfectly working Tablet that will go on the Web, read PDF files and e-book and play movies and music on a quality 9.7" screen for $99 (16Gb) or $149 (32Gb).

Find me a color e-book reader that can do everything the TouchPad can do for the same price....!!!

Even if we don't get any new webOS update, it's still better than nothing. Angry Birds! :-)

I'm in line tomorrow, getting one. For nostalgia....

FutureShop, BestBuy and La Source

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=fr-CA&catalog=Online&category=Tablet-PC&product=1716110&MSCSProfile=287001FD2674671CC1C6E1B8FD422E088EE6ADDDE1C15C81B9194117BD5488B28BA60CEF6E700E900400B0F7BBACBEAEE04AC45FF9AD26C38EFD9107C1182D20C350661C18B67E775C5444D9393B05BBD7F69493625B10DCE2D189AAD4924AD7996C30B5A44B3A601CA826B727B6ED3646998C5910B1D0983B91D35304E722EEE1A5A3CA3A291A87

Why are you buying these for? It will have no software updates. No app store, no new apps. Even for $99 it will soon be a worthless paper weight. Software is everything.

It's good enough for daily websurfing, I might put it in the bathroom while I'm taking a huge dump.

• Like 3

Why are you buying these for? It will have no software updates. No app store, no new apps. Even for $99 it will soon be a worthless paper weight. Software is everything.

Find me something in color for $99 that can do everything the TouchPad can do (right now) without any software update. And you can still get some software for it, like the famous Angry Birds.

This was sent to developers:

Dear webOS developer:

We have opened the next chapter for webOS, and we understand that you must have many questions. Yesterday we announced that we will focus on the future of webOS as a software platform but we will no longer be producing webOS devices. While this was a difficult decision, it's one that will strengthen our ability to focus on further innovating with webOS as we forge our path forward. Throughout this journey, our developers will continue to be a vital part of the future of webOS.

We will continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog. Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem.

As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change. These updates will be posted on our events registration site this coming week. We are eager to present to you the updated strategy for webOS and to hear your feedback.

Lastly, I wish to express our sincere appreciation for your ongoing support for webOS and the many teams responsible for it here at HP. This is a particularly dynamic time in the mobile industry and sometimes tough decisions need to be made about not only what to do, but also what not to do. This has been one of those times. Together with our great webOS developer community, we are confident that we will meet the challenges ahead and build momentum for optimal success.

We will be communicating with you frequently over the next few weeks and we look forward to hearing from you throughout this process.

Thanks for your support

Richard Kerris

VP webOS Developer Relations

It begs to ask the question. Is the Os installed in a Rom Chip or on the Flash drive, and can one replace it with android or windows 8 when it comes out?

Yeah I think NO is the word you're looking for.

It begs to ask the question. Is the Os installed in a Rom Chip or on the Flash drive, and can one replace it with android or windows 8 when it comes out?

Yes, the OS onboard and flashable so in theory it could be replaced with whatever you want, provided someone has ported the OS. Might happen, but no guarantees. FYI, soldout at FutureShop now but may be avaialble at B&M.

I'm not sure if buying one is a great investment for a $99 web browsing tablet, or tossing away $99 on a device that will soon be useless.

Yeah, exactly. I mean, what will I do with one besides web browsing? It's extremely, extremely tempting, but with the current economy, I can't be wasting $99 on something that's not going to last.

Has anyone heard if us retail stores will be selling them at this price? My girlfriend works at Staples and they have a huge stock but they still show as $399

I honestly may pick up the 16GB $99 one up for my parents as a Christmas gift. This is perfect for them. They hardly use computers, but could use something like this for real simply web browsing, email, and also my mother would love being able to put their photos on it. Even if there is never an update, it would suit their needs perfectly.

I also cannot help but think somehow the modding community may wind up doing some crazy stuff with it. Is that a possibility or just wishful thinking on my part?

A friend of mine just told me that a supervisor confirmed Best Buy will have them for $99 tomorrow. If best Buy drops it to that everyone will have to follow suit. Our employee purchase partner site on HP.com already lists it for $99 but I'd rather get it tomorrow than wait for shipping.