Tera Online

I've most likely played more NCSoft games than you. And while their games tend to have good graphical "fidelity"(as good a word as any). it's quality is severly lacking. as I said, the reason theirs and ArenaNet and other Asian MMO devs can have good graphics is because there's very little unique geometry in the game, and they cut back on a lot of other GPU intensive stuff as well. all in all the game looks great in screenshots. but when you play it, the animations are so bad they end up just stupid (I still have nightmares of CoX animations), Then there's the lack of models. if you add up all the unique armor models in Linea,e I and II and GW, you have less unique armor models than what EQII had from level 1 to level 10. For me with bad animations and everyone wearing the same armor with different paint and at most a new bump map, is bland.NCsoft and it's partners are leeches who survive on making cheap simple games that costs little to make and they can market to a bloated asian market that isn't so concerned as long as the girls have big boobs and no armor.

anyway, this thread isn't about neither NCSoft or ArenaNet or their lackluster games.

You really don't have a clue about ArenaNet at all.

Firstly, there are dozens of armour sets per class to choose from with max stats. So you're wrong there. Second, Anet are American, based in Seattle. They had nothing to do with CoH, Aion or any other NCSoft game. NCSoft have no creative input into Guild Wars 1 or 2.

There is nothing wrong with the animation in Guild Wars 1 at all - again I haven't played CoH so I don't know about that but it has nothing to do with Anet.

There are also conservative female armour types in Guild Wars 1 too..so yea, you're not doing too well.

Anet marketed Guild Wars for the globe - Competitive PVP had particular appeal for the Asian market and the rest of the game was made for everyone, not a particular region.

Again, NCSoft only publish Guild Wars, they don't have a say in how it turns out.

I'm begging you to research before ranting about something that you are utterly, completely and inconceivably clueless about. I don't mind if you have an opinion about gameplay, but what you have isn't an opinion, it's simple misinformation and jibberish.

ArenaNet or ncsoft is the same thing. They're practically identical in how they develop games.

And you assume to much

Big difference:

ArenaNet is a US-Based game developer. They created GW1, NCSoft was the one who would deliver it to the customers.

NCSoft is also a game-developer but with a different style.

Guild Wars 2 is being developed by ArenaNet and being distributed by NCSoft, that's a big difference.

On topic: I liked the screenshots and the videos of Tera Online and I hope I can get a chance to play it.

Stereotype much?

tera-online-oppai-loli-pantsu-mmorpg-019.jpg

Half of the characters in the game have less clothes than your average playboy model and you can bet your kidney most of the freakos will be playing the whatever-the-hell-the-seminude-demon-wench was.

All I can say is wow.....I was going to point out where HawkMan is wrong but other people seem to have already done that, and based on HawkMan's responses so far, he is unwilling to admit he knows nothing about what he is talking about, and therefore his opinion will be impossible to change.

To make a long point short, ArenaNet is a part of NCSoft, but they develop the game on their own, not with NCSoft's guidance or assistance. The company was started by a few ex-Blizzard employees, so most of the gameplay and technology is more similar to Blizzard games than any game that NCSoft themselves develop.....but like I said, this argument is irrelevant because HawkMan doesn't care that he is wrong, he's still going to disagree with you even once you prove him wrong.

• Like 1

I never said ArenaNet wasn't American, but they develop mainly Asian stoe games.

As for the armor. Yes there are many sets, but they all use the same models. Seriously did you guys even play GW.

You really don't have a clue about ArenaNet at all.

Firstly, there are dozens of armour sets per class to choose from with max stats. So you're wrong there. Second, Anet are American, based in Seattle. They had nothing to do with CoH, Aion or any other NCSoft game. NCSoft have no creative input into Guild Wars 1 or 2.

There is nothing wrong with the animation in Guild Wars 1 at all - again I haven't played CoH so I don't know about that but it has nothing to do with Anet.

There are also conservative female armour types in Guild Wars 1 too..so yea, you're not doing too well.

Anet marketed Guild Wars for the globe - Competitive PVP had particular appeal for the Asian market and the rest of the game was made for everyone, not a particular region.

Again, NCSoft only publish Guild Wars, they don't have a say in how it turns out.

I'm begging you to research before ranting about something that you are utterly, completely and inconceivably clueless about. I don't mind if you have an opinion about gameplay, but what you have isn't an opinion, it's simple misinformation and jibberish.

The animations in GW is not as bad as the average ncsoft game, but it's far below the standard of games from the bigger AAA MMO developers.

Also publishers most definitely have a say in how a game turns out. In many ways more than the developer itself.

Also no, GW was developed and marketed for the Asian and Asian style fan. You won't find many western GW payers who d t also either watch anime and or play JRPGs.

And oh, really there's a couple of female armory that aren't thongs and bras.... Wow.. That so counters my point :rolleyes:

I never said ArenaNet wasn't American, but they develop mainly Asian stoe games.

As for the armor. Yes there are many sets, but they all use the same models. Seriously did you guys even play GW.

ArenaNet has developed 1 game so far (not counting the different GW chapters as different games, they were all part of the same game), and it didn't feel like any Asian MMO (though I have no clue what stoe means, so maybe you mean something else).

As for armor, did you even play? There's tons of different armor models 17 by my count, and that's only the basic armor, none of the prestige or other armor pieces that don't have a full set. Oh yeah, and those 17 by my count, thats just the style of armor, not the individual models (which is 2 for each class, 6 core classes) which brings the armor model count up to 17 * 12, or 204. And that's not counting all the prestige and single armor pieces, or the classes added in the expansions.

Funny how you consider 204 DIFFERENT armor models as "the same models".

After SWTOR I am giving this game some thought.

I'm still active for the time being on SWToR, but it just isn't what I had hoped. Its another run-of-the-mill mmo that brings nothing new to the table. Lets not forget how bad all the armor looks for virtually every class. Smugglers look like they are stuck in the 70's with harrison ford.

I can't wait for the next beta for Tera. It was the first time I sat in a game for 4 hours and enjoyed every last minute of it.

• 2 weeks later...

So like most games TERA seems to be on the road to dying from people abusing the game. Anyone have a suggestion how they can fix it. I mean there are already tons of sites popping up getting read for the main released Taultunleashed (link removed) and MMOViper (link removed), are two examples of this crap going on. Personally i think they should be doing the following to stop botters and cheaters.

1 - Perma ban for being caught cheating or botting (making a quick example of a few will stop the many)

2 - Add a nice detection system or make it so players after x amount of time in an area will be spammed with a question they need to answer to prove they arent botting.

3 - In pvp make it so players can be voted out of a game to stop zone farmers.

4 - For the games first month hire triple the staff to look into people reporting exploits and botting to make all the new joiners enjoy the game.

Anyways those are the top ones i can think of. I was trying to get some cool things together then post it on the official site to see if anyone cares. Frankly i saw SWTOR die from this and i want TERA to do well damnit.

I'll probably give this a shot during open beta, but unless it blows me away i don't see myself getting it. I'm very skeptical about MMOs released now adays. Besides Rift, i can't think of a recent MMO that has lived up to my expectations. I've also heard talk that there's not much going on for Tera at max level. Unless it is shown to me that Tera has the longevity, developer support, and cash flow to be a worthwhile investment for me i will just give it a pass and play WoW as i wait for Guild Wars 2. MMOs are a huge risk for consumers now adays. It always sucks to drop $60 on an mmo, and invest time and money into it only for it to turn into a wasteland a few months later due to lack of sales, community, or developer support.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was downloading since yesterday and suddenly it froze up. I re-ran the program and logged in.

I found myself at a window stating insufficient privileges. Guess I won't be wasting my time with this one.

Yeah, the download and install process for this game is stupid. I've been downloading the god damn game for well over 16 hours. One minute I'll be downloading at 800kbs, the next 30kbs. And then after that it reports that it's "Installing patch - 2 hours left" What the hell???

You're not missing much, this game is just your typical quest grind korean mmo. I'm level 13 already and I've successfully collected flowers and killed lots of pigs because ???. I don't see this game lasting very long. I can't even say it's that good looking as well.

You're not missing much, this game is just your typical quest grind korean mmo. I'm level 13 already and I've successfully collected flowers and killed lots of pigs because ???. I don't see this game lasting very long. I can't even say it's that good looking as well.

If dungeons function anything like the Phantasy Star Universe dungeons it could be very popular. I also love the way pvp plays out in this game (from the videos I've watched). I'm still probably going to jump on GW2 after it releases, but Tera has a lot of good things going for it. The only things I don't like so far are as follows:

• Items earned from quest completion are given to you a level before you can use them
  • You earn the same items multiple times, this includes weapons.
  • Crafting is very difficult and expensive
  • You can't transfer a character without paying to.
  • Classes are a bit too limited.
  • Weapon locks on classes.

I don't really get why weapons are locked based on class, this is a very old style of gameplay and since classes are so incredibly strict this makes choosing a class all that much more difficult. In other MMO's a warrior can wield a plethora of weapons, not just dual wield longswords. It would be nice to see a bit more flexibility in the classes/weapon system.

I'm diggin the game. Fairly sure this is going to become my MMO choice. Liked what I play and I see some potential there. Hoping I snag an invite for the next CBT so I can try out the 4 classes I didn't play extensively.

I've tried this game in the open beta. I don't get it.

It's just a dull rehash like everything else that's been released or is going to be release in the near future. In fact it seems almost as bad as AION was on release in terms of the amount of grinding you have to do in order to make any sort of meaningful progress.

Going to try Guild Wars 2 in one of the next betas, if I can get in, as at least that seems to be trying different things. Tera is just utterly boring.

I've tried this game in the open beta. I don't get it.

It's just a dull rehash like everything else that's been released or is going to be release in the near future. In fact it seems almost as bad as AION was on release in terms of the amount of grinding you have to do in order to make any sort of meaningful progress.

Going to try Guild Wars 2 in one of the next betas, if I can get in, as at least that seems to be trying different things. Tera is just utterly boring.

I would agree with this. On the other hand, Aion is looking appealing again with it's upcoming 3.0 patch and going 100% f2p. At least I won't feel obligated to play just because I'm paying a sub. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

This game has really grown on me since open beta. Once you get to level 20 it just opens up. The glyphs and crystals really allow you to customize the class enough to make you feel unique. The dungeons are fantastic and the monsters really require some teamwork to kill. There's also something about being a Lancer, aggro everything and then just watching it bash its life away at your shield while your health bar doesn't budge. Who ever thought straight tanking could be so fun?

Lastly, the crafting system in the game is great. The investment makes it risky but very rewarding (some of our current crafted items are better than the orange/yellow drops). Currently our guild is maxing levels and gear out so we can get a hold of the crafting market. If anyone else is serious about the game or wants to work into crafting then feel free to look us up. We're on Jagged Coast, Guild is Circuli Mortis (or is it Circuli Mortum?). For now we aren't recruiting heavily and we'll be questing with you and dungeon running to make sure you are competent. Eventually we plan on expanding but for now we want to concentrate on making a core of good players.