How would you fix Metro on the desktop? My list:

suggestions

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#121 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 March 2012 - 00:13

Looking at Windows 8 on touch, for example. MS has instituted this very thing. On a web page you swipe one way or the other to go backward and forward on the page. This, to me, is brilliant even though the back button is still there. That's more of a weaning process I suppose. But, looking at the page dhan referenced, the first thing I thought about when reading was "flow". And sure enough, the author mentions flow of the eye is better when reading left to right or right to left in some Asian cultures. Either way, it's horizontal and not vertical.

I get what you mean. I just recently got a Mac and one of the things I really like about it so far is how swiping your finger across the "Magic Mouse" while in a browser it does a nice gradual transition left/right for the back/forward. All it is is an effect, but it makes it feel much more seamless like turning the pages of a book or something. Daft really...

I don't think Metro is doomed beyond all hope as others do, but it needs some serious thinking with regards to business and productivity. That so far Office and the Dynamics program on the frontpage a few days ago use the desktop for the productivity side speaks volumes about the current implementation of Metro. Thing is, I can think of ways that Metro could be made much more seamless, coherent and productivity friendly than just shoving all the useful stuff on the desktop. For a start, do these things as a separate "desktop configuration" for a more productive user. But it is daft things like adding a lightbox style close button in the corner and other button equivalents for gestures (which are just horrible IMO - the window shaking thing in Win 7 is probably the most awkward thing I try to do with a mouse), a universal and always visible task switcher (like some of the ideas posted already), ability to "snap" up to 4 windows, backwards compatibility via forced full screen, putting certain options in more logical places, etc.... all tiny things that could go a long way to making it more productivity friendly.

This is where I don't get Microsoft - they obviously "get" that programs like Office have to be used differently to consumption apps and therefore need something more desktop like (although I'd prefer it to be implemented better) otherwise we'd have a fully Metro Office. One of the paradigms of Metro is that everything is context appropriate and designed according to task if I remember correctly. So why in the same breath do they try to force the same UI over everything like some quick copy paste job? They did it with the ribbon. It was great for Office and as a result a natural fit for Wordpad. But for example, it has made Paint far harder to use.

No single UI works in every situation and it is something Microsoft desperately needs to pay more attention to. I get the impression that some there do get this but then other departments go all "ooo shiny" at any new UI that comes along and starts slapping it on everything they make.

#122 Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Professional

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:24

Seriously, I am having problems with Metro simply because it is a multi-tasking nightmare. I believe Microsoft should have just melded the best of the classic desktop with Metro. Give me the option of easily switching between my desktop apps and Metro when needed, all without leaving either behind. Its simple, and here it is after using Windows 8 Consumer Preview for 2 months now. This is all I really need to honestly make Metro useful. In fact, you could have the taskbar autohide in this scenario.

Posted Image

#123 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:35

wow, that would be a total usability nightmare, and ugly as sin.

#124 butilikethecookie

butilikethecookie

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:39

I really like it. The desktop apps could run on top of metro.

#125 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:44

metro is a nightmare!

#126 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:47

Good god.  Not another one of these Metro whine threads.

#127 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:53

My eyes! Ze goggles do nothing!!

#128 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:56

Active desktop failed for a reason. It won't work here either.

If you're trying to switch between apps, ALT-TAB still works, and includes Metro apps.

#129 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:01

I really like it. The desktop apps could run on top of metro.

You really think that would look and feel good? :blink:

If Microsoft did this, I wouldn't touch Windows 8.

#130 rageagainstmachine

rageagainstmachine

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:03

Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads.

good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads."

#131 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:10

I think the start menu should only be on the taskbar for desktop mode. Thats the only change i think there should be on windows 8

#132 epk

epk

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:11

good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads."

Good god. Not another one of these "good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads.""

#133 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:17

Personally i think Metro should have been like Windows Media Center, if you wish it can start full screen when Windows starts. The end user doesn't need to know Windows is running behind it, that's certainly the experience the family get with the Media Center in the front room.

Same with Metro, if you want it to have it start when the user logs on. If not just give the user the desktop environment, there's nothing wrong with choice is there? Metro doesn't need to interfere with the desktop environment at all.

Power users are happy, and your basic computer user can use Metro and never know there's a desktop behind it.

Windows 8 would be received so much better by just allowing users some basic choices.

#134 Jan

Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:23

Good god. Not another one of these "good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads.""

Good god, Not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these "good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads."""

#135 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:25

:rofl: LOL@Jan^