• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:53

I used to root for piracy only. Given how cheap the apps are, I really see no use doing it now days though. Most have demos, so I try them, and go straight into it.

I think limited feature free apps are annoying. Time based full trial would work better for me in testing if apps are right for me.

+1 what you cant pay 1.29$ i don't understand people pirating mobile apps when they can cost 1-5$, are you that poor, but you don't mind spending 500$+ on a smartphone!

#17 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:57

All my apps are paid for, happy to support developers and also picked up quite a few when Google had the 10p sale as well :)

#18 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:01

I bought 2 apps since I got my phone two months ago.... They're cheap, I mean, why not?

#19 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:36

1) Don't think you can live from developing mobile apps.
Yes, some developers can and do but the majority of app makers are people who want to make a living from it but in all seriousness they're simply not making enough money. They then put this down to piracy when it's more than likely just low numbers of people wanting to purchase that particular app. Unless you have already successful apps or are part of a company already making millions then you should expect your app to give you a little more pocket money no more.

2) App "gardens" = good.
I agree that the polished-only apps Apple allow is a great way forward. Google's Play Store is 80% full of rubbish. But this won't stop people pirating apps.

3) The circle of development.
Windows phone isn't that great as popular apps are taking their time being ported across. So nobody buys the Windows phones because there aren't many good apps for them. Developers don't bother wasting time developing for the Windows platform. When will developers realise to make something successful, you must have it available at the same price on all three platforms?

4) Have a realistic price.
Yes, many apps are as cheap as chips. But there are many which are completely overpriced. That is the main reason people pirate surely? Because they can't afford to buy the app. Cutting the price may encourage more people to buy.

#20 rajputwarrior

rajputwarrior

olé olé olé olé

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:42

just saying... i bought this game for my g tab. so there you go Miles Jacobson!

#21 ObiWanToby

ObiWanToby

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:51

I think people are just ****ed at being nickel and dimed. I know app devs need to make money, but maybe being a professional mobile phone developer just isn't going to happen...

I mean once Apple introduced the app store, a few of the previously free apps I were using, became paid only on the app store. I stopped using them. That is just dumb. I see stores as a way to monetize. Now you have to worry about backuping up your apps, your licenses, and saving your apple id / play store id forever. It is annoying.

#22 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:57

old argument... developers aren't stopping PC game development because they make enough money to cover their costs and promote their titles. If they are smart, they have some online exclusive and once people see that the game is worth it, they will buy it.

#23 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:05

Only app I ever bought and would have bought is TitaniumBackup.

#24 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:17

I pirated a game on Android because I'd already given the developer my money when i bought it on iOS, didn't really wanna pay again just for changing ecosystems.

#25 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:33

Sharing is caring. If he doesn't like it, he can either 1) Make a version with advertising support. 2) Provide quality DLC to reward buyers. 3) go back to just iOS and be completely dependent on Apple for his company's mobile future. The latter's a risky business strategy.

#26 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:42

As I've said before, while big corporations can deal with piracy, it hurts small companies like these, some of which suffer over 90% piracy rates. I've known enough people who stopped buying things altogether simply because they can get them for free, whether it be apps, games, music, movies, etc. The excuse that "most of them wouldn't buy it anyways" simply isn't true.

#27 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:47

I pay for my apps both on my android phone and my iPad.

#28 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:56

As I've said before, while big corporations can deal with piracy, it hurts small companies like these, some of which suffer over 90% piracy rates.

What a load of rubbish. How can it hurt a company if people wouldn't have bought it anyway? It annoys me when people automatically assume a download equals a lost sale. This is MAFIAA propaganda.

The excuse that "most of them wouldn't buy it anyways" simply isn't true.

It's verifiably true. There have been studies conducted that prove it. In fact you only have to look at France's own figures to realise that stopping piracy had no effect in reducing falling physical music sales, in fact it's still falling. This alone blows a huge hole in the download = lost sale fallacy.

I couldn't possibly afford to buy all the stuff I download. And I wouldn't want to. If I couldn't get access to it, I'd just go without. It's really not that important to me.

#29 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:07

I pirated a game on Android because I'd already given the developer my money when i bought it on iOS, didn't really wanna pay again just for changing ecosystems.

Yeah, because they're so expensive and android and iOS use the same code so the dev didn't need to do any work at all when porting the iOS version...

#30 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:15

As a developer if* my apps are pirated then so be it, not great but if you need it that badly and are not willing to pay £1 then just take it. Its affect on me is that it just means less money to buy new stuff to develop for which means it takes longer to update or create new stuff as the motivation isn't there. It does take time and it does cost (got to test on devices) but people will always develop for Android because it has such high numbers.

* yes they are :)