• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#16 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,143 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:05

I'm glad we're not so narrow-minded in Belgium. When people stop paying attention to swear words and offensive things and whatever, they automatically lose their offensiveness. Pardon my language now, but in Dutch we say ****, ****, kut (Dutch slang for *****) and all sorts of variations and translations all the time, and nobody really seems to mind. Only in really formal situations you shouldn't, of course, but in general nobody really cares.

People swear on TV, full nudity is fine on prime time TV, hell you even see titties in random shampoo ads on all channels. We're just relaxed about these things, and it makes for a much nicer culture in my opinion.

But hey, Americans. I rest my case.

#17 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,158 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:06

I do get your point, but it ISN'T a swear word. It may be an anagram of one, but those letters in that order is not a swear word. The paragraph you posted does not contain English words, we read it because we assume it does.

#18 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,158 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:10

but in Dutch we say ****, ****, kut (Dutch slang for *****)

Best thing I've ever seen written. I have no idea what you were saying, but it made me 100% LOL.

We're just relaxed about these things, and it makes for a much nicer culture in my opinion.

I am 100% on side with that. But your society works to different rules (or different levels of those rules), and so what is acceptable is different. America has pretty tight rules over what language they find acceptable (same with England), so to be part of mainstream society, you work within those rules.

I am also 100% on-side with someone who challenges mainstream society. Good on you, I applaud your cause if it is valid. But be aware that by doing so, you also lose the privilliges of mainstream society - such as bein accepted into certain situations. And this was one such situation.

#19 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,749 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:13

On an airline run by a privately owned company? No, you really don't.

This woman was stupid. Sorry, I choose to not wear swear words (and other contentious imagery) on my clothing, the same as I don't openly swear in public. It IS offensive. There are rules to life, and one I live by is to not offend random people - it certainly helps me get by and not get caught up in this sort of thing.

I have been saying this for over a decade!!!!

I was quoting the obnoxious lady on one of those daytime TV talk shows who says "I do what I want!" to sum up the behavior of the woman in the article.

#20 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,158 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:23

"You" didn't mean you as an individual, I meant you as in the populace. No direct offense meant. But by the same token, I have no idea of the talk shows you (you as in you) mention ;)

#21 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,983 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:25

"You" didn't mean you as an individual, I meant you as in the populace. No direct offense meant. But by the same token, I have no idea of the talk shows you (you as in you) mention ;)

I think even South Park made an episode about it, where Cartman goes onto these shows and says exactly the same. It was funny! :)

#22 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,158 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:27

I think even South Park made an episode about it, where Cartman goes onto these shows and says exactly the same. It was funny!

That I have seen. I just assumed it was Cartman being obnoxious :)

#23 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• 3,795 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:27

The woman intentionaly purchased and wore a shirt containing offensive phrases and/or wording with the intention of advertising the fact to others.The Airline made it transparently clear that such artices were not alowed and the Captain was obligated to remove the woman from the plane weather someone had been offended or not.
BOO HOO Im hard done to...........I want my fifth amendment rights,just doesnt wash.All I can say to the woman is grow up and if you want to wear a rally shirt wear it at the rally anywhere else and the reaction you get you wont like.

#24 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:32

I'm glad we're not so narrow-minded in Belgium. When people stop paying attention to swear words and offensive things and whatever, they automatically lose their offensiveness. Pardon my language now, but in Dutch we say ****, ****, kut (Dutch slang for *****) and all sorts of variations and translations all the time, and nobody really seems to mind. Only in really formal situations you shouldn't, of course, but in general nobody really cares.

People swear on TV, full nudity is fine on prime time TV, hell you even see titties in random shampoo ads on all channels. We're just relaxed about these things, and it makes for a much nicer culture in my opinion.

But hey, Americans. I rest my case.

Americans swear in public discourse as well, and in some places, probably more often than the you do. Not on prime time, but on cable TV, we get all the swearing and nudity we want.

That said, we don't swear in public at large, which is what is really the issue here. If I'm talking with a friend in front of a bunch of children, I refrain from swearing, because it's just a socially responsible way to behave. If you're walking around with swears on your shirt, it's probably fine at a protest. On a plane? Just wear something else for a few hours.

#25 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,957 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:36

America: Where the right to believe stone age crap is defended and the right to protest against it is not. Don't you just love societies that put stone age dogma above common sense? I walk about with a T-Shirt (inbetweeners) that has the word W***ers pasted through a bus symbol (Bus w***ers, anyone who has watched the inbetweeners will know the joke) and nobody even bats an eyelid. America has became dominated by obsessively prudish zealots.

#26 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,158 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:40

Where the right to believe stone age crap is defended and the right to protest against it is not

Utter bullcrap. You are talking severe amounts of **** right there. Protesting is all well and good. This is a private airline, not a public place. They have their own rules, and the woman in question was made fully aware of them. She doesn't have to follow them, she has every right to opt out of their rules and not use their service, which is what she did.

She chose to not use their service by not following their rules, pure and simple.

Religion has absolutely zero to do with this.

#27 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,957 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:42

So if they had a rule set that said "no Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, or Buddhists" do you think they'd escape being censured for that as well?

#28 sava700

sava700

• 1,409 posts
  • Phone: nice phone

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:46

She got what she deserved. Why does she need to A) Voice her opinion about something on a t-shirt that has an offensive vulgar word on it, and B) Wear that shirt on a plane with other passengers.

This is the problem with some people. They only think about their rights, but never about responsibility. She knew the rules and decided that she'd ignore them anyway. What a wack job.

+1

#29 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:46

More like "woman kept off plane for having no class".

#30 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,158 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:47

So if they had a rule set that said "no Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, or Buddhists" do you think they'd escape being censured for that as well?

So if... blah blah blah and the moon was red and shoes were made of toasters and my arse shot rainbows!

They don't, and they are 100% incomparable arguments. However, let's humour your pointless argument and say they did have such a rule... The company would have the arse-end sued off them, they would be up in front of congress and they would no longer be allowed to trade as a company within America.