Woman Kept Off American Airlines Plane For Allegedly Offensive Shirt

All that said, I typically go clubbing wearing shirts that say things like "No. Dude. Seriously. **** You.", "I Learned From Lesbians", and "**** You ****in ****".

I just know that there's a time and place.

It's not a "public place". Free speech extends to the government not being able to censor you, but a private company can do what they want within the confines and where choice is concerned (ie, she chose to wear that shirt).

Before you get all wound up, read my post again, I never denied that. That wasn't the point I was addressing.

If I'm a deluded psychopath, than at least I'm in good company since our Supreme Court has found consistently that profanity (compared to say, obscenity), is protected speech.

Actually, much better, more intelligent, and mature forums than this do allow it. That is actually one of the big downsides of wasting time here. It was done to make the site 'family' friendly, not foster wonderful nor creative discussion.

Sorry bub, adult movies, books, and discourse of all kinds includes profanity, either to hammer home a ****ing point, for humor, or for dramatic/creative effect 98% of the time. I don't need the the world around me to be rated G. If you do, stay home in your bubble and support juvenile, randomly enforced policies like this one.

I guess I just don't get how some people would be up in arms if the government did it, but are more than happy to give a pass if its a corporation. I frankly don't understand why key aspects of our Bill of Rights aren't universal.

Americans are way too sensitive, and not is the good way.

It's not all of us, but sadly they seem to have more of a push on the way things are done around here :/ Common sense has left this country a long time ago...

Americans are way too sensitive, and not is the good way.

Thats just it Brian, if anything its the Brits here that are 'too proper'. Its the obscenity (ie sex) in American that is usually overblown due to our puritanical heritage, not profanity.

I like how people NOT from The States are painting a whole country with one very wide brush. All you're doing is showing your ignorance.

To the people defending her "right" to wear anything she wants... what if she was wearing a white power shirt? Would any of you defend her then?

• Like 1

It's not all of us, but sadly they seem to have more of a push on the way things are done around here :/ Common sense has left this country a long time ago...

Since when is just spouting vulgarities a part of 'common sense'?

Since when is just spouting vulgarities a part of 'common sense'?

It's not... please stop helping my point, as it is not one I really want to be right on.....

I like how people NOT from The States are painting a whole country with one very wide brush. All you're doing is showing your ignorance.

To the people defending her "right" to wear anything she wants... what if she was wearing a white power shirt? Would any of you defend her then?

Yes I would defend someone what wanted to wear a white power shirt, a black power shirt, a "I kill babies" shirt as well. Why? Because it is a shirt, and it is in NO WAY hurting me or taking from my pockets. I will defend the same things I may not like, because those things very well could be used and taken away against my will. Words are only as offensive as you let them be. If you are a little girl and can't get passed it, you should stay inside. The real world isn't all pretty and nice, and you shouldn't expect it to be. We can though, be nice to each other, by letting each other be who we want to be.

Better yet, for those Europeans who want to defend her, what if she was wearing a pro-Nazi shirt? I'm pretty sure that in some European countries, not only would she be asked to leave the plane, but she would also be arrested.

Yes I would defend someone what wanted to wear a white power shirt, a black power shirt, a "I kill babies" shirt as well. Why? Because it is a shirt, and it is in NO WAY hurting me or taking from my pockets. I will defend the same things I may not like, because those things very well could be used and taken away against my will. Words are only as offensive as you let them be. If you are a little girl and can't get passed it, you should stay inside. The real world isn't all pretty and nice, and you shouldn't expect it to be. We can though, be nice to each other, by letting each other be who we want to be.

I was just using that as an example. I too don't care about what people wear. The fact is though, that this is a private company. They can refuse the right to serve you or anyone. Just like a restaurant...

Better yet, for those Europeans who want to defend her, what if she was wearing a pro-Nazi shirt? I'm pretty sure that in some European countries, not only would she be asked to leave the plane, but she would also be arrested.

But see, it's different when someone from the US says something like that.

Then again, America is held to a higher standard for "freedom". Let's not try to compare ourselves to nations that don't give as much freedom. We should try to aim for a higher goal....

I was just using that as an example. I too don't care about what people wear. The fact is though, that this is a private company. They can refuse the right to serve you or anyone. Just like a restaurant...

But see, it's different when someone from the US says something like that.

Sure, A private company can do what they want. The people should then show them, with wallets, what they think about companies that do things as such. I'm just saying, everyone needs to back off on this whole PC crap, and stop trying to limit the way people live.

• Like 1

Wow, the prudishness of some people here is staggering. It's simply amazing to me that people can live in a country that glorifies violence as much as the US does, and then bitch about a few words. It's the 21st century and people swear. Grow the hell up already.

Yeah yeah. We can't form an opinion on America unless we're from America. Reich winger logic, heard it before. And let's just face it, supporting genocide and swearing are obviously so similar in moral terms that the same arguments simply must apply to both :laugh:

But they wouldn't arrest her in my country so I'd say I'm free to call you a bunch of sad prudes that restrict your citizens freedoms just because they happen to wear a shirt that isn't politically correct.

Before you get all wound up, read my post again, I never denied that. That wasn't the point I was addressing.

If I'm a deluded psychopath, than at least I'm in good company since our Supreme Court has found consistently that profanity (compared to say, obscenity), is protected speech.

But your point is false from the start: Supreme Court definition of profanity has nothing to do with a private company refusing service, akin to "if you want to fly on our airplane, you abide by our rules". Same as one of your friends lighting up a cigarette in your car while you're driving if you don't wan them to: sure it's legal for them to smoke, but it's your car.

To bring it home, I support the option of profanity, obscenity, nudity, whatever you want, on any channel or music station you want, as long as I or anyone else has the option to change the channel. "Don't like it, change the channel." "Don't like it, find another airline".

• Like 1

I was nearly prevented from flying recently because my tshirt had a picture of a squirrel holding a grenade. When the inspector first said, "you might want to change your shirt" I laughed at her. When she replied to my laughter with, "no I'm serious" my jaw dropped. The only thing I could muster was, "really?" I still wore it though, and no one stopped me again.

LOL you were going to wear a shirt with a picture of an explosive device on an airplane? I know it wasn't really and just a picture, but, if I were to wake up knowing I was going to go flying, and had to pick a shirt for the occasion I would not choose the only shirt with a picture of an explosive device on the front of it.

Why do people even feel the need to wear clothing that references sex, or swear words or what-have-you?

They want to draw attention to themselves and cause controversy, then claim free speech even though they're on private property. Welcome to the entitled generation.

• Like 3

It's not as if it's a big secret that offensive shirts will prevent you boarding a plane. Grow a brain people.