What do you want from Windows 8 RTM?

Are we being honest? If so then I only want it to fail and hurt Microsoft badly. What I want will never be built, that is a fully updated Windows 2000 with the same classic GUI. That is the only thing that will ever satisfy me, ever.

Are we being honest? If so then I only want it to fail and hurt Microsoft badly. What I want will never be built, that is a fully updated Windows 2000 with the same classic GUI. That is the only thing that will ever satisfy me, ever.

When why are you on this thread? Just asking.

They did. 11 years ago.

And how many of those are actually upgraded at each new release especially in the consumer space? Besides, I'm not talking about ones that might be in homes or businesses. I'm talking about the few remaining on the shelves at Best Buy and Walmart. Because I see more laptops and tablets on display at both locations, and it's no secret people are buying more of those today, than desktop systems when XP was popular.

Windows 8 is an OS for tomorrow that is making a clean break from the legacy systems still running XP or Vista. Exactly how iOS makes clean breaks from legacy iToys.

So, the billion or so people who already bought windows for their home use can essentially go fork themselves, now that ms already has their money...??? Cynical, even for such a fanboi.

All those laptops you talk about... touchscreens are they..??

So, the billion or so people who already bought windows for their home use can essentially go fork themselves, now that ms already has their money...??? Cynical, even for such a fanboi.

All those laptops you talk about... touchscreens are they..??

Again, it's nothing any other manufacturer hasn't done. Apple is notorious for doing this. In fact iOS 6 won't even run on the 1st gen iPad. Windows has nothing on that. But sometimes there comes a point where you just have to make a clean break and start focusing on future prospects. If those people want to upgrade to Windows 8 there's nothing really stopping them from doing so, it'll still run (if the hardware is supported), however, Windows 8 is designed with mobility in mind with the future aspect of always connected, and always on the go mentality.

Compare that to the 9x paradigm when people were still mainly parked in front of a desk with a desktop machine that wasn't always connected.

And those laptops, they don't need to be touchscreen. You can use Windows 8 without it. Just saying, that FUD was put to bed even before the beta was out. ;) But there were touchscreen laptops shown off last week at Computex.

• Improve multi-monitor support, especially the Charms trap, Start on primary limitation, etc
  • Allow the Desktop to treat Metro as an app so I can actually see whats running without jumping back and forth over the fence or alt-tab.
  • Add desktop search w/out full screen Start
  • Remove metro elements from Desktop (network etc)
  • Start over on the apps, the included ones are terrible, its embarrassing
  • Ability to add Desktop to startup items
  • Bring back Flip3D and have it show all desktop and metro apps (currently only Alt-tab does this and it looks like crap)

The reason they aren't buying them is because they are still working fine for what most need to do. Couple that with a large number of machines that are 7+ yrs old and still humming along. (This new craze offers little that is superior to the 12 year old desktop solutions they are already using - until the hardware dies, which is really part of what started this stagnant mess, devs couldn't keep up with the new found power)

What do I want from windows 8? a built in and proper way to bypass that god-awful ugly and worthless "metro" during boot, until they do that then "8" can sit on the shelves and rot.

I want to be able to download RTM the very first day it will be available from Microsoft Store.

Give the change to people without MSDN subscription to get it early without having to wait for the retail availability coming later this fall.

from looking at screenshots of Windows 8 that interface is horrible as it's probably just going to handicap you as it's way to simplified. something like that might work on a non-pc/laptop well (like more of a media center thing like XBMC is on XBox1) but for someone who actually wants to use their PC with a mouse/keyboard that's a big turn off.

that's obviously going to be blasted by most PC users simply because it's way to different from the usual interface we had since basically Windows 95. making some changes here and there is fine but making any drastic change like appears to be the case with this Windows 8 metro crap is a big no-no in my book.

about the ONLY people that overly simplified interface might work for are those people who know next to nothing about using a PC. but for everyone else it's obviously far worse than Windows 7's default interface which is what people have known for ages now.

i just hope that crappy interface is not the default for windows 8 as if that's forced on people long enough that will eventually become common and force us to learn that crap because if it's the default people will use that more often than not which will just making using the PC less fun in general.

but as far as the topic... just make windows 8 faster and faster as interface wise Windows 7 is good enough.

from looking at screenshots of Windows 8 that interface is horrible as it's probably just going to handicap you as it's way to simplified. something like that might work on a non-pc/laptop well (like more of a media center thing like XBMC is on XBox1) but for someone who actually wants to use their PC with a mouse/keyboard that's a big turn off.

that's obviously going to be blasted by most PC users simply because it's way to different from the usual interface we had since basically Windows 95. making some changes here and there is fine but making any drastic change like appears to be the case with this Windows 8 metro crap is a big no-no in my book.

about the ONLY people that overly simplified interface might work for are those people who know next to nothing about using a PC. but for everyone else it's obviously far worse than Windows 7's default interface which is what people have known for ages now.

i just hope that crappy interface is not the default for windows 8 as if that's forced on people long enough that will eventually become common and force us to learn that crap because if it's the default people will use that more often than not which will just making using the PC less fun in general.

but as far as the topic... just make windows 8 faster and faster as interface wise Windows 7 is good enough.

Welcome to the conversation. I trust you've brought yer flak jacket.... :woot:

I'm all for changes and new stuff, but there's no way I can efficiently use Windows 8 with a mouse and keyboard... Already tried, but my patience is not infinite.

Gimme the Start button and Aero theme back and I'm sold. Otherwise, I won't ever touch Windows 8 again unless I'm forced to.

Better Flexibility for hardware support :)

Start Menu/Screen Background customization (ie custom backgrounds)

I wish it worked better with a mouse and keyboard, first and foremost. I'd much rather just click on something rather than use keyboard shortcuts/madly wave my mouse in the top right hand corner of the screen to reach what is essentially an extremely simplified start menu.

I understand the urge to make sure the product is touch-compatible, but I don't think this should take precedence over what is now (apparently) 'old-school' computing.

I wish it worked better with a mouse and keyboard, first and foremost. I'd much rather just click on something rather than use keyboard shortcuts/madly wave my mouse in the top right hand corner of the screen to reach what is essentially an extremely simplified start menu.

I understand the urge to make sure the product is touch-compatible, but I don't think this should take precedence over what is now (apparently) 'old-school' computing.

Give us an example of what you can't achieve with the new mouse & keyboard shortcuts.

Give us an example of what you can't achieve with the new mouse & keyboard shortcuts.

Give me solid reasons why mouse/keyboard shortcuts represent the future and are more intuitive than conventional point/click interface? At best, the only thing you can say about them is that they're different, not better. How is it better to remove things from plain sight and replace them with keyboard commands that the user has to discover and memorize? Things should not be "Googled" in the name of almighty minimalism and simplicity. Keyboard shortcuts are fine as long as they're an option, not the primary means.

I hate Metro and all it stands for. Windows 8 is not the future, it's change for the sake of change. If you're going to do something, go all in, not this half and half **** being offered. Metro is nothing more than a bad idea being jackhammered down our throats by a very influental person within Microsoft that doesn't want to look like an ass if Windows Phone goes ###### up. There is serious disconnect between Microsoft's Corporate and Consumer divisions. For Business, I don't see anyone beyond some douche bag in a social networking company wanting anything Metro offers. Metro is just bird **** on the windshield for someone driving through their work day.

@ Dot Matrix,

I watched that ridiculous video in your sig and boy what a bunch of crap that was! We're 25 years minumum from that level of tech (Consumer grade, attainable) and it damn sure won't be this turd Microsoft broke off at the helm! I sincerely hope that they're lavish launch party is held in their corporate restroom because that is the only appropriate place for this pile of corn covered waste!

You are a fanboy of the highest order!

@ Dot Matrix,

I watched that ridiculous video in your sig and boy what a bunch of crap that was! We're 25 years minumum from that level of tech (Consumer grade, attainable) and it damn sure won't be this turd Microsoft broke off at the helm! I sincerely hope that they're lavish launch party is held in their corporate restroom because that is the only appropriate place for this pile of corn covered waste!

You are a fanboy of the highest order!

:yes:

Give me solid reasons why mouse/keyboard shortcuts represent the future and are more intuitive than conventional point/click interface? At best, the only thing you can say about them is that they're different, not better. How is it better to remove things from plain sight and replace them with keyboard commands that the user has to discover and memorize?

Nothing is replaced by keyboard commands. Everything is accessible by mouse, there are a FEW things that aren't visible all the time but are accessed through right click or moving to the four corners or the screen. That's because those are the easiest spots on the screen to access (the pixel under your mouse pointer, and the four pixels at the corners) so they're natural affordances for the mouse. The reason they aren't visible is because as system functions, they're always there so once you know them having them up on the screen all the time is just wasting space and distracting from the app content.

I'd much rather just click on something rather than use keyboard shortcuts/madly wave my mouse in the top right hand corner of the screen...

The trap/active zones on the Charms bar will hopefully be fixed in RTM and that should help with that alot.

I do strongly disagree with you contextfree that 'having them on the screen all the time' is a waste of space. I hate that Metro hides time for example. My WP7 doesn't do that and it is a glance and go OS. If Metro is to replace the desktop, they still have to deal with the (lack of) density issue, and that is a very hard thing to unify.

I want Microsoft to finally kill both: old Desktop and this ugly Metro. And create someting new -- useful, nice, flexible, and functional.

I know I'm dreaming. Let's wait for Windows 9.

Microsoft already has it is Windows 8! There is nothing else that Microsoft needs to add that is not already in the Release Preview it is great the way it is. Well maybe exept for making sure no Start Menu apps will work with the RTM as they are simply not need.