What do you want from Windows 8 RTM?

Microsoft faces an uphill battle with desktop users over the changes made in Windows 8. Therefore I'd like to see Microsoft release it at a considerably lower price point, which would easily be made up by the 30% cut they take from sales in the app store. It honestly seems like the best option to deflect criticism over the relatively radical design changes made.

Give me solid reasons why mouse/keyboard shortcuts represent the future and are more intuitive than conventional point/click interface? At best, the only thing you can say about them is that they're different, not better. How is it better to remove things from plain sight and replace them with keyboard commands that the user has to discover and memorize? Things should not be "Googled" in the name of almighty minimalism and simplicity. Keyboard shortcuts are fine as long as they're an option, not the primary means.

I hate Metro and all it stands for. Windows 8 is not the future, it's change for the sake of change. If you're going to do something, go all in, not this half and half **** being offered. Metro is nothing more than a bad idea being jackhammered down our throats by a very influental person within Microsoft that doesn't want to look like an ass if Windows Phone goes ###### up. There is serious disconnect between Microsoft's Corporate and Consumer divisions. For Business, I don't see anyone beyond some douche bag in a social networking company wanting anything Metro offers. Metro is just bird **** on the windshield for someone driving through their work day.

So Neowin forum sux because you have to use your keyboard to post? I though that it was either mouse&keyboard or touchscreen :/ /s

Anyway, you can do almost everything with the mouse too, the only thing that you can't do and who comes in my mind is the semantic zoom that requires a touchpad or mouse&keyboard, but most apps have a button to do so now.

You hate Metro because you don't know how it works, you should better watch for the tutorial before trying it. You are just part of those users who shouldn't try a non-final OS imo.

Are you dumb or ...?

MS added a LOT of a features to the Desktop, they are still supporting it and will support it for a long, long time. It looks like you don't know what you are talking about :/

No need to get personal and start calling me dumb... if you actually READ what i typed you are actually backing up what i said :/

I'm fully aware the desktop is been supported for a long time...

To quote myself:

I mean lets be honest the desktop is going no where, as much as people here are raving its dead.

Where did i say Microsoft are NOT supporting it? I get the impression a lot of people think its dead that's all...

My post was simply agreeing with Raa who said:

"An option to turn the Metro UI off on my desktop computer that does not have a touch interface."

I agree with him, a few choices about how Metro works on a desktop system would be of great benefit and keep everyone happy. If people want to set a PC up that will be used for productivity they should be able to, Metro adds no benefit to that in my opinion and only disrupts your workflow. It would still be there if it needed to be used.

I personally dont want to be thrown out the desktop on a 27" screen to use Metro for something...

By all means you dont have to agree with my view point, thats just what I would like to see in the RTM. Will it happen? No i know that.

Whats the point in making a personal attack out of it it? grow up.

windows vista didn't deserve most of its criticisms, yet it was enough of a failure to have MS quickly address the perceived short falls .. This POS is infinitely worse....it will fail on laptops and desktops ..there will be backlash...we will see an option to turn metro off and have a classic experience...if you think that isn't a contingency plan you are as high as the hipster elitists who designed this disaster

I want a really powerful media player to have on the go. I am sick of limited functionality apps that don't even display the bitrates or have detailed artists info or have a built in EQ. I also want a powerful playlist manager as well that I can "add as next to play" to easily que up the next song I want to play. There's only 2 android media players that have bitrates and one is paid and one has extremely invasive permissions and not to mention battery draining GPS use... arrrg.

I also want more android style task mangement but with easier task switching.

• Like 2

So Neowin forum sux because you have to use your keyboard to post? I though that it was either mouse&keyboard or touchscreen :/ /s

Anyway, you can do almost everything with the mouse too, the only thing that you can't do and who comes in my mind is the semantic zoom that requires a touchpad or mouse&keyboard, but most apps have a button to do so now.

You hate Metro because you don't know how it works, you should better watch for the tutorial before trying it. You are just part of those users who shouldn't try a non-final OS imo.

I'm not a "user". I've been building, troublshooting/fixing PC's for over a decade. Admittedly, not as much on a personal level in the last 5 years, but its always been part of my job at work. I love trying out new stuff, and played with Windows 8 for a couple of weeks when the first preview was released. Sad for me to say this as a Windows guy first and foremost, but Fedora 17, Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenSuse 12.1 impressed me more. You don't need more than 15min to conclude this O.S. offers nothing in terms of productivity improvments over Windows 7 for normal day to day business.

To prove that I want to be fair, I'm skid marking my perfectly good HDD with this turd one more time to give it a fair chance. I predict nothing will change, but what the hell, right?

You don't need more than 15min to conclude this O.S. offers nothing in terms of productivity improvments over Windows 7 for normal day to day business.
It's funny because Windows 8 (along with Windows server 2012) comes with tons of new things for business only. Just look at the many articles posted on Windows 8 blog.

You are an user, you aren't part of any OS developments, neither an UI designer, or a system administrator. Troubleshooting PCs doesn't mean that you are capable of understanding all the new features/concept of Windows 8 in "more than 15 min". Also regarding your post contents, it seems that you have missed a lot of new features inside Windows 8.

Now keep calling it an "abomination", it makes me laugh really hard. Especially since your critics isn't constructive at all. You didn't point to ANY feature that is better in one of the many Linux distributions that you have listed; hence your opinion is pointless.

I will skip Windows 8, hoping for Windows 9 to have the following things:

1.- A truly and fully customizable metro experience (Change app tiles colors, change background color, total control of chrome color, etc)

2.- A better blend between old GUI paradigms and new ones.

3.- Icons in explorer that dont look like plastic.

4.- Better screen space management

Also, by the time Windows 9 it's released many companies would have developed metro versions of their apps, assuming total gui consistency.

Beautify Metro. Get rid of the horrid colors, and allow us to place a picture as the Start Screen background.

Custom Color & Image Background on metro interface... colors are horrible, and custom app colors too ;)

I'm not a "user". I've been building, troublshooting/fixing PC's for over a decade. Admittedly, not as much on a personal level in the last 5 years, but its always been part of my job at work. I love trying out new stuff, and played with Windows 8 for a couple of weeks when the first preview was released. Sad for me to say this as a Windows guy first and foremost, but Fedora 17, Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenSuse 12.1 impressed me more. You don't need more than 15min to conclude this O.S. offers nothing in terms of productivity improvments over Windows 7 for normal day to day business. To prove that I want to be fair, I'm skid marking my perfectly good HDD with this turd one more time to give it a fair chance. I predict nothing will change, but what the hell, right?

Yesterday I installed ubuntu to a certain client that wanted to have it along windows xp, that OS seemed far more touch/keyboard/mice friendly that windows 8 (Vostro 1510, had to modify grub to make the touchpad work).

It's funny because Windows 8 (along with Windows server 2012) comes with tons of new things for business only. Just look at the many articles posted on Windows 8 blog.

You are an user, you aren't part of any OS developments, neither an UI designer, or a system administrator. Troubleshooting PCs doesn't mean that you are capable of understanding all the new features/concept of Windows 8 in "more than 15 min". Also regarding your post contents, it seems that you have missed a lot of new features inside Windows 8.

Now keep calling it an "abomination", it makes me laugh really hard. Especially since your critics isn't constructive at all. You didn't point to ANY feature that is better in one of the many Linux distributions that you have listed; hence your opinion is pointless.

My interpretation of his comment indicated that his use of "user" was meant too be some form of insult. What is your definition of System Admin? At my job, my daily routine encompasses, PC repair, setting up/configuring PCs/Users and Server maintenance. I am the only employee at my workplace that performs these functions. As for your claim that I missed a lot of busniess related things, well not really. I like quite a few things they've added such as performance improvements, better Explorer, File Copy dialog, task manager, etc. What ruins all of this goodness for me is Metro. It brings nothing to the table for Business, period. Honestly, the improvements that I do like won't mean alot when it comes to day to day operations for a non IT business employee. I'm no Linux fanboy, but those Distros I mentioned did have a more positve impact on me than my experience with Windows 8. No, I won't be typing out a long list as to why.

I have just finished installing Windows 8, Office and have begun dumping my data back over. I plan to use it over the course of the next few weeks to see if my opinion has changed. Funny thing though is that the minute I saw the Start screen, all I could think was Ugh.... I will give credit and say that its running much better than the first version they released.

My interpretation of his comment indicated that his use of "user" was meant too be some form of insult.

Yeah, I saw that. Oh well. If you use Windows, you're really a user - no matter how awesome you think you are. Even the Microsoft developers writing Windows 8 are Windows users... they develop Windows 8 on Windows 8, not some 1337 version of Linux or Midori or expert MinWin awesomeness.

At best, you can say you're not an average user :p

Yeah, I saw that. Oh well. If you use Windows, you're really a user - no matter how awesome you think you are. Even the Microsoft developers writing Windows 8 are Windows users... they develop Windows 8 on Windows 8, not some 1337 version of Linux or Midori or expert MinWin awesomeness.

At best, you can say you're not an average user :p

Agreed. I don't think of myself as awesome but I'm not an average user. People like Budman are awesome. That guy knows his stuff!

If a CLI is your primary litmus of power operator, welcome to powershell and Core.

I don't expect much change from RC to RTM, but I would like to see desktop and laptop installs set the default handlers for file types and links to desktop apps, not Metro style apps.

Bitches please, multiple drag and drop on the start screen! How many of you selected an array of tiles and couldn't drag them all?

Heck yeah! Though unfortunately not realistic for RTM :( ... more of a Windows 9 wishlist thing or at best, Windows 8 SP1

Better unification of system bits. The mis matched tooltips have been irking me since Vista. Now there's another added to the mix. Good grief.

• Like 2