Why did Microsoft remove aero?

I think the worst thing is this:

post-67543-0-72117700-1344026978_thumb.j

How that slipped all the way to RTM is beyond me.

I have to agree. You talk about blandy Mcblanderson. But! They keep the same see-through reflective icon for Recycle Bin? Really? and the same child's toy icon for Control panel. The same horrid icon for My Computer. But make the Desktop look like this ultra crazy super flat thing. I don't know, it's just kinda wonky if you ask me.

Why u no understand that Aero is not ONLY transparency!

Aero is:

- Bigger, bolder cursor

- Effects of maximizing and minimizing Windows continuously.

- Taskbar Preview

- Transparency

If they actually "killed" the Aero we've known of, we would have reverted to a classic style or worse, and that is not the case.

Why u no understand that Aero is not ONLY transparency!

Aero is:

- Bigger, bolder cursor

- Effects of maximizing and minimizing Windows continuously.

- Taskbar Preview

- Transparency

If they actually "killed" the Aero we've known of, we would have reverted to a classic style or worse, and that is not the case.

Exactly. I think Microsoft officially called the UI of Vista/7 "Aero Glass." The glass is no more in Win8, but Aero is certainly still around.

• Like 3

This is a classic example of 'change for the sake of change' with no actual benefit to anyone.

It's easy to defend, you just say 'change is good, stop complaining' without having to give any actual reasons why its better.

And they can not use the reasoning 'well, we found that the majority of users don't customize Windows that way anymore, so we got rid of it.' They didn't use such reasoning for creating a Start screen made primarily for touch. Certainly, most people don't have touch-centric devices on their home PCs, but they made a huge change. I think it's more because in a Tablet / handheld OS, there's no such option. So, they removed it from Windows 8. And since it was kind of a Rube Goldberg to find where to change the fonts in Windows 7, such customization from users took a nose dive. Then they said 'most users don't change fonts in their UI anymore.'

They clearly need to adapt to the gamma of devices that are coming, and can dethrone the OS. Android is starting to look to me more like a virus rather than an OS.

Furthermore, I would bet you around one thousand dollars that People would have complained anyways, if MS would have left the UI the same. I'm not fond of the Start Screen, and to use it I clearly need 3rd Party apps (I admit this).

The Neowin forums have taught me this! Hell, there was ONE person which has made the greatest approach to bring back the real Windows 7 Taskbar, and he received almost no praise! There was even bashing on how counterproductive it is instead of the Classic Shell (seriously, WTF?!). So I'm glad they're trying new things. Windows 8 RTM still feels (from the looks) like a very unfinished OS (desktop department), but then... the Next Windows + the hardware which will be having... Oh yes... I know we will all give Metro the place it deserves.

I have to agree. You talk about blandy Mcblanderson. But! They keep the same see-through reflective icon for Recycle Bin? Really? and the same child's toy icon for Control panel. The same horrid icon for My Computer. But make the Desktop look like this ultra crazy super flat thing. I don't know, it's just kinda wonky if you ask me.

Have a look inside the window, more specifically at the bottom. They left the blue as is from Vista/7 in the details pane. That was originally why I posted this screenshot.

That does look quite bad in terms of structure. Now that the left side panel is white, there is no division at all between content. If the window did not include the left side items, It would look much better. Right now it looks poorly thought.

snip

Another lovely example (taken with a dark frame so you can read the text :rolleyes:):

post-288886-0-06464100-1344031044_thumb.

Another lovely example (taken with a dark frame so you can read the text :rolleyes:):

I am very disappointed this didn't get changed in the RTM version. That is a terrible inconsistency.

That looks bad. Looks just like in Windows 7. It feels like Microsoft didn't even bother to change the appearance of it. 3 years working on 8 and they still couldn't finish it properly.

I am very disappointed this didn't get changed in the RTM version. That is a terrible inconsistency.

It actually was changed. In pre-RTM builds, the title bar text was always black. Now in the RTM, the text color does change, however slightly. Even with pure black window chrome, there is visible title bar text. Is it readable? It really depends on the user and brightness settings of your display.

Not surprising when you consider similar halfassing was seen in Windows 7 - for instance, the icons in Windows Journal were corrupted and one of the toolbar separators was misplaced. Secondly, Windows Fax and Scan continued to have the Vista toolbar style.

Speaking of Vista style, was it really that difficult on Microsoft's part to strip Windows LIve Photo Gallery into just the viewer and use that instead for Windows Photo Viewer? Quite hypocritical if they claim to move beyond 'gaudy' gradients and glass yet maintain an unnecessarily thick toolbar style for a photo viewer.

Something to fix in Windows 9 I guess. They should have made it so the text color would contrast what color you picked.

The RTM does do that, though, at least somewhat. In the CP and RP, the text was always black, but in the RTM, making your window chrome pure black does lighten the text a bit. Not much, but it's viewable, at least when you use a high brightness setting on your monitor.