Win 8 RTM gaming performance

win8

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:17

For anyone who has or will have early access has the gaming performance improved over the preview? I felt it was somewhat behind windows 7 on the test build even though the Nvidia drivers are now unified (same version).

Edited by SHoTTa35, 03 August 2012 - 16:55. Reason: Moved and tagged

#2 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:21

Couldn't say on my system, AMD's RP drivers don't seem to install properly.

#3 Artins90

Artins90

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 13:39

I also would like to see some benchmarks to decide whether to keep using Win 7 or upgrade, the DPC latency was horrible in the RP I would like to know if they fixed it

#4 nytiger73

nytiger73

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 13:46

I also would like to see some benchmarks to decide whether to keep using Win 7 or upgrade, the DPC latency was horrible in the RP I would like to know if they fixed it

A friend of mine has a copy and he said that the DPC latency is MUCH MUCH better. So it should be a pretty good experience. I'll know more tomorrow when I see him at work to get the full review.

#5 Mark

Mark

Posted 03 August 2012 - 13:46

I get a fairly consistent 1060µs on my system

#6 OP aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 13:50

what does the dpc latency do?

#7 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 03 August 2012 - 13:54

What are you testing your DPC latency with? Because DPC Latency Checker doesn't report accurate results under Windows 8. Try TimerTiming for example. The DPC latency is no worse than it was before.

#8 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 13:54

This is related to the drivers, not the OS.
So you might want to upgrade in a couple of month (ex: in october because OEM just received the RTM, give them time to build the drivers on top of it).

#9 Artins90

Artins90

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:12

What are you testing your DPC latency with? Because DPC Latency Checker doesn't report accurate results under Windows 8. Try TimerTiming for example. The DPC latency is no worse than it was before.

I googled it but I can't find it :(

This is related to the drivers, not the OS.
So you might want to upgrade in a couple of month (ex: in october because OEM just received the RTM, give them time to build the drivers on top of it).

My Gene-z gen 3 has all the drivers compatible with windows 8 available for download from the asus site I'm very tempted to test the RTM myself but AMD hasn't released any driver for the RTM yet and my system runs like a charm, I would have to do a lot of performance tweaks if I had to go back to 7.

#10 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:22

I googled it but I can't find it :(

My Gene-z gen 3 has all the drivers compatible with windows 8 available for download from the asus site I'm very tempted to test the RTM myself but AMD hasn't released any driver for the RTM yet and my system runs like a charm, I would have to do a lot of performance tweaks if I had to go back to 7.

I noticed that with the Release Preview - though I have been testing the Catalyst Preview drivers, if your GPU is supported out of the box (which was the case with HD4xxx up in the Consumer and Release Previews, and is the case at the minimum with the leak of Enterprise-N), the AMD-sourced drivers perform no better than the included drivers. Unless you absolutely need/use a specific feature in Catalyst (such as the transcoding feature) you likely won't miss them from a performance standpoint (or a gaming standpoint either). I'm getting ready to throw a game I've been thrashing in 8 RP at the RTM to see if the surprising trend I've been noticing (better performance) holds up in gaming as much as it's held up in applications.

#11 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:23

DPC latency is 99% of the time related to hardware drivers....

#12 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:26

I think the true test of gaming will have to wait a few months so that Driver manufacturers can get better drivers out there for gaming hardware.

#13 Mark

Mark

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:30

I noticed that with the Release Preview - though I have been testing the Catalyst Preview drivers, if your GPU is supported out of the box (which was the case with HD4xxx up in the Consumer and Release Previews, and is the case at the minimum with the leak of Enterprise-N), the AMD-sourced drivers perform no better than the included drivers. Unless you absolutely need/use a specific feature in Catalyst (such as the transcoding feature) you likely won't miss them from a performance standpoint (or a gaming standpoint either). I'm getting ready to throw a game I've been thrashing in 8 RP at the RTM to see if the surprising trend I've been noticing (better performance) holds up in gaming as much as it's held up in applications.

Does it support openGL out of the box? A lot of the included drivers don't...

#14 ObiWanToby

ObiWanToby

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:37

I think Nvidia might be in a better position now that their drivers are on a unified release schedule with 7.

#15 Mark

Mark

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:48

Surely even if performance is better/worse, it'll only be a few fps either way, right? I would have thought the OS had very little to play in overall performance. Mainly hardware and drivers!