Win 8 RTM gaming performance

win8

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 13:19

I was readed some good benchmarks of windows 8 vs windows 7 gaming performance, but in my pc is not the same story.

Probably just boils down to drivers. I've seen similar benchmarks.. on my hardware anyway (AMD), gaming has been consistently more or less identical to 7, and when there is a difference its pretty minor at best, plus or minus a couple FPS. Where I do notice a nice improvement though is load times, be it booting the OS or just applications in general, just seems a bit quicker there across the board especially when it comes to large applications like Visual Studio 2012 and whatnot. A cold start of a fully loaded VS2012 install with big addons like CodeRush and the like starts up a fair bit faster under 8 than 7.

#62 minoskid

minoskid

Neowinian

• Phone: QUART QT450

Posted 09 October 2012 - 13:23

Probably just boils down to drivers. I've seen similar benchmarks.. on my hardware anyway (AMD), gaming has been consistently more or less identical to 7, and when there is a difference its pretty minor at best, plus or minus a couple FPS. Where I do notice a nice improvement though is load times, be it booting the OS or just applications in general, just seems a bit quicker there across the board especially when it comes to large applications like Visual Studio 2012 and whatnot. A cold start of a fully loaded VS2012 install with big addons like CodeRush and the like starts up a fair bit faster under 8 than 7.

I agree with you.

What version of nvidia drivers do you suggest to install? :)

#63 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 09 October 2012 - 13:25

nvidia drivers blow at the moment, but hey its not out to the public yet where as the windows 7 driver has matured over the last 3 years , win8 drivers are still a baby

#64 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 October 2012 - 13:25

I noticed Skyrim and Crysis is a tad smoother on Windows 8 when I had it installed. It wasn't by much, but it will get fixed and improved in the future when better drivers get made.

#65 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 13:29

I agree with you. What version of nvidia drivers do you suggest to install? :)

Most of my systems are running AMD cards sorry, I'd just be guessing. The couple that do have nVidia hardware are running 7 or BSD. I'm sure somebody can chime in with a good suggestion though.

#66 AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

Posted 10 October 2012 - 00:42

Windows 8 is smoother for me on Skyrim. I'm able to play with Ultra shadows whereas Windows 7 should stutter for the first 15 secs after a level load.

Other games...can't tell. More or less the same.