Photo

Hey Look: Aero is NOT Gone in Windows 8 RTM!

win8 aero

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:25

The title is not misleading in any way. Aero is fully enabled and thriving in Windows 8 RTM. In fact, Aero is the ONLY theme available. Unlike in Windows Vista and 7, YOU CANNOT EVEN TURN OFF AERO in Windows 8. In this thread, I am going to prove it to you.

The screenshots are of the Release Preview. However, I disabled transparency to mimic, as closely as I could. to the final UI of Windows 8 RTM. Every feature you see here works flawlessly in RTM.

The only thing gone in Windows 8 RTM is transparency in window boarders. Everything else about Aero is present in Windows 8 RTM

Aero Animation (Closing Window)
Posted Image

Aero Annimation (Minimize Window)
Posted Image

Aero Peek
Posted Image

Taskbar Aero Peek
Posted Image

Taskbar Thumbnails
Posted Image

Fullscreen Magnification

The fullscreen magnification requires Aero; and it works fine in Windows 8 because Windows 8 has Aero.
Posted Image

Aero Snap (with Glass effect)
Posted Image

Again, these screenshots are done in the Release Preview with transparency off. But they are exactly the same in RTM.

Important Notes

The Aero branding is gone, but the actual features are not.

Only the glass effects are gone. Everything else exists.

The visuals are still GPU accelerated.

The window drop shadow is still present in RTM but is very subtle. If you look closely in the following screenshot and you will see it.
Posted Image

Unlike Windows 7 or Vista, you cannot turn off Aero in Windows 8.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Final Remark: STOP CRYING ABOUT "NO AERO IN WINDOWS 8".

#2 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:28

Aero never got removed, they only ditched the glass effect, period.
It's still GPU accelerated, it's still using the same amount of ressources (so they didn't disabled it for laptop and so on).

Seriously, who came with the idea that Aero was gone? It took them years to put it into Vista and improving it other 7 & 8.

#3 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:29

True, the Aero Glass UI might be gone in Win8, but Aero in of itself lives on.

#4 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:29

If you're going to talk about Windows 8 RTM then at least use screenshots from Windows 8 RTM and not the much older Release Preview, as they use different themes.

However, you're partially right. The Windows 8 RTM theme is basically just a variation on the original Aero and for people to claim that it is "hideous" or "ugly" - as I have seen in other threads - just defies logic. It Windows 8 is ugly then Windows 7 should be too, as the differences between them are very subtle.

#5 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:30

I think people are "crying" about transparent window boarders missing in Windows 8.

#6 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:31

The reason I din't do RTM screenshots is because these screenshots would look almost exactly the same in Windows 8 RTM.

I think people are "crying" about transparent window boarders missing in Windows 8.

While some are, many people are misunderstanding what's happening with Aero in Windows 8. I have seen many people claiming "because Win8's UI isn't GUP accelerated, it will consumer less battery." This statement is false because Win8's UI is GPU accelerated.

#7 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:31

True, the Aero Glass UI might be gone in Win8, but Aero in of itself lives on.

It's pretty sure that somebody will find a way to re-enable it through regedit, they probably just desactived it by default and removed the option to enable/disable it into Windows settings.

#8 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:32

Trolltastic

My complaint is about the transparency being gone, and the general ugliness of the new design. I'm well aware that the UI is still GPU accelerated, that doesn't make it any less ugly though.

#9 ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:35

"almost exactly the same" != "exactly the same" is the point people might be trying to make. Posting screenshots from the RTM will help your case immensely I would guess.

#10 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:35

My complaint is about the transparency being gone, and the general ugliness of the new design. I'm well aware that the UI is still GPU accelerated, that doesn't make it any less ugly though.

I love the solid chrome so much, that I can't Windows 7 anymore. in the release preview, I have turned off transparency because a solid chrome looks much better, in my opinion.

"almost exactly the same" != "exactly the same" is the point people might be trying to make. Posting screenshots from the RTM will help your case immensely I would guess.

I just don't have the time to hunt down a leaked build, find a way to install it, and spend hours just for the sake of this thread. The RP screenshots are good enough. If you would like to replicate these screenshots in RTM and post them, be my guest.

#11 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:37

Seriously, who came with the idea that Aero was gone?

Microsoft themselves haven't been very clear about that, sometimes talking about 'Aero' then about 'Aero glass' again.

We have moved beyond Aero Glass

Aero was designed to help the app’s content to be the center of attention, and for the Windows system UI to recede into the background. This is still relevant today, and while we are moving beyond Aero, we don’t want to lose sight of these goals.

#12 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:38

Daaaaaaamn! So finally someone who knows how to use his head!

Thanks for the explanation to many people that aero is not only glass

#13 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:39

well yeah, I always thought that was a well known fact. Who in their right mind would think Microsoft just threw away everything they did with vista en 7? :s

Not really getting the purpose of this thread.

#14 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:40

Microsoft themselves haven't been very clear about that, sometimes talking about 'Aero' then about 'Aero glass' again.

As I meantioned in the main thread, only the branding of Aero is gone. The actual features of aero is still present.

well yeah, I always thought that was a well known fact. Who in their right mind would think Microsoft just threw away everything they did with vista en 7? :s

Not really getting the purpose of this thread.

LOTS of people think the entire AERO technology is gone, including GPU acceleration. Trust me, I have read the complaints. People just don't get it

#15 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:40

I agree with the OP, but keep in mind that the new theme is not just the Release Preview theme without transparency. The window frames are different. The taskbar is also different (no more smoked corners at the left and right of the taskbar and also no more blur effect). It looks much simpler now. Oh, and the theme is still called aero in Windows/Resources/Themes.