Shooting at Wisconsin Sikh temple

Police officer 'among injured' in Wisconsin shooting

_62056586_us_oakcreek_0508.gif

Police have confirmed that a shooting has taken place at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek in the US state of Wisconsin.

A police spokesman said an officer had been shot multiple times but was expected to survive. There are reports of other casualties but no confirmed numbers.

The spokesman said one suspect had been shot, but another gunman might still be on the loose inside the temple.

"This is an ongoing and very fluid situation," he said.

Local police said that a call had been made to them at about 10:30 local time (15:30 GMT).

Police have corralled journalists outside the temple and urged them not to broadcast aerial footage that could compromise the operation.

Oak Creek is a town of about 30,000 people in the south-east corner of the state.

'Many injured'

Parminder Kaleka, who was waiting outside the temple, told the Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel that she had phoned her brother-in-law - who she said was the priest of the temple - who was inside "at that time [the] shooting happened".

"He told me 25 or more people got shot, at that time they don't even know if they are dead or alive, so a lot of people got injured."

She said she had heard her brother-in-law had also been shot, and said desperate families were gathered outside the temple waiting for news.

"This is a big tragedy for our church," she said, saying everyone had always assumed it would be a place of safety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19138754

More than likely, the temple was a "gun free zone", just like the theater in Colorado. That plan works really well, doesn't it?

• Like 2

Yea, like a knife never killed anyone -- http://www.news.com....v-1226441838914

Yes, forks can kill, baseball bats, vehicles, a plastic bag, the list literally goes on and on and on and on of all of the different items that can be used to kill. We all know this to be fact.

With that said, if anyone in their right mind is going to try and tell me that guns are not the most efficient means for killing, then that is truly ridiculous. End of story.

So keep on trying to use this as some kind of counter argument. I will still know guns make it a hell of a lot easier to kill then anything else out there.

No doubt we'll get more hand wringing from the country that refuses to do anything about the problem they've created.

If the Revolutionary War never happend most likely the 2nd Amendment of today would be very different!

There have already been several high profile shootings in the US in recent months and yet you're using one knife attack in China to try to justify the ineffectual gun restrictions in the US?

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"

You can't use that as a blanket statement to avoid sensible restrictions on firearms. By that logic people shouldn't be required to have a driving licence as everybody should have the liberty to drive as they please. Liberties only extend to the point that they impact other people and in the US it is clear that the lack of adequate regulations is costing more lives than it is protecting.

You can't use that as a blanket statement to avoid sensible restrictions on firearms. By that logic people shouldn't be required to have a driving licence as everybody should have the liberty to drive as they please. Liberties only extend to the point that they impact other people and in the US it is clear that the lack of adequate regulations is costing more lives than it is protecting.

Look how the Prohibition Era turned out! people still did things regardless of what regulations are on the books so your comment is null N void!

Look how the Prohibition Era turned out! people still did things regardless of what regulations are on the books so your comment is null N void!

did you miss the word sensible? if you use extremes like banned completely or free for all theres gonna be problems. most solutions are in the middle.

by that logic iran should have a nuke...why regulate them right.

Gun restrictions have been proven to work in numerous countries, including the UK and Germany. This isn't some hypothetical scenario - gun restrictions reduce firearms fatalities.

• Like 3

did you miss the word sensible? if you use extremes like banned completely or free for all theres gonna be problems. most solutions are in the middle.

by that logic iran should have a nuke...why regulate them right.

Clearly you missed my point

My point was no matter what regulations/laws etc there are people are still going to do what they want to do regardless. it's been proven every single day when someone breaks the law etc. Iran is perfect example they are heavily regulated and guess what they are still doing what they want with regards to their nuclear program! The reason they should NOT have a nuke is because the fear they will use it to take out Israel since Iran is a known terrorist regime and supporters of terrorist groups.

Gun restrictions have been proven to work in numerous countries, including the UK and Germany. This isn't some hypothetical scenario - gun restrictions reduce firearms fatalities.

And there are still shootings in those countries!

This is about guns, stay on topic before the merry go round please

:rofl:

This is not about guns, as I demonstrated. How about you stay on friggen topic. It about a wacko killing people, and he used a weapon. There are an estimated 200 million guns in the US and a few wackos makes every one bad? That's like saying everyone that uses the internet is a software pirate and should be treated as such. There will always be wackos and they will always act out for one reason or another. Don't blame those are not doing wrong for those that are.

I keep and carry my guns in a safe manor. I have been fully trained and have trained my kids the same. Many do the same, and we are all tired of the bigotry from those that don't like guns or think they are better then those who have or use guns.

Here we go again, Im betting there are going to be gun advocates on this board and many others saying we need to start arming people in religious institutions. There was a great article in TIME the other day about how we as a country really need to get this crap figured out. Obama even said its long overdue and that its not all about gun control but how to find crazies like this guy and in Colorado. Face it, no matter what people think or say, we have a big big problem here with not only guns but crazies that want to kill.

And crazies who want to kill will find a way to do it.

The worst school massacre in the US happened in Bath, Michigan May 18, 1927 when a crazy named Andrew Kehoe beat his wife to death then killed 38 elementary children, 2 teachers, 4 other adults and himself with bombs. 44 dead and 58 others injured.

It's the people, stupid.

• Like 1

And there are still shootings in those countries!

Nobody claimed there weren't. However, they occur at a dramatically lower rate and very rarely are there such high profile shootings as this. The firearms mortality rate in the US is over twenty times higher than the UK. The last high-profile shooting in the UK - that I can recall - occurred two years ago and resulted in one death and one injured. It's bizarre to suggest that because you can't eliminate gun crime altogether that it's best to do nothing at all.

Gun restrictions in the US are woefully lacking and it's rather concerning that so few are interested in addressing it.

And crazies who want to kill will find a way to do it.

The worst school massacre in the US didn't involve guns at all - it happened in Bath, Michigan May 18, 1927 when a crazy named Andrew Kehoe killed 38 elementary children, 2 teachers, 4 other adults and himself with a bomb.

That's not the issue - it's the frequency and severity of mass shootings that's the issue, which is a direct result of poor gun regulations. It's great that you have found one example of a worse atrocity nearly a hundred years ago but that doesn't diminish the fact that poor gun control results in the needless deaths of thousands of people a year.

If the Revolutionary War never happend most likely the 2nd Amendment of today would be very different!

That's exactly the point, the US govt still controls guns in the same way they did when there were civil wars, etc. It's a different world and it's time for different laws, the present gun control laws are obviously doing nothing. It seems that anyone can get a gun, as much ammo as they want and then carry out their "judgement" on anyone they please. Teenage hormones are extremely dangerous in a country where anyone can get their hands on a gun.

Not aware of a lot of knife massacres.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"

What liberty would really be impacted on sensible gun regulation? Your right to own high powered, automatic weapons? Why do people even own them? Why not flame throwers and rocket propelled grenade launchers, too? Automatic weapons have no practical use in civilized society, so why not allow other forms of arms which are also impractical and downright dangerous?

No, really, I'm curious. Someone care to enlighten me?