win8

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: htc EVO 3D: CM9 Devil Toast

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:03

Ok guys I just installed Windows 8 RTM (fresh install) and I have no sound. I have made sure the drivers are installed, checked the Windows services and ran a cmd prompt "fix" all with no luck. I have uninstalled and installed the driver several times and the everything shows it should be working but I have no sound in anything and I am at a loss... It worked in all the previous builds but now it does not work in RTM. My laptop is a Compaq CQ60-211DX and I recently upgraded the CPU and Memory, I don't know what else to do and I am pretty upset because I am really liking Windows 8.

Does anyone have any solutions?

EDIT: When the sound driver is installed video playback via youtube or any other videos is in slow motion. Once the drivers are removed it plays smooth...

#2 +Neotech085

Neotech085

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:05

Maybe you will not good enough to Microsoft to deserve sound ;)

#3 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:05

Are there any warnings in the device manager?

#4 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:11

Are there any warnings in the device manager?

Nope none at all...

#5 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:05

conexant smartaudio 221 is the sound card/driver

#6 +Neotech085

Neotech085

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:09

You could not be doing it right :)

#7 azspeedbullet

azspeedbullet

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 20:59

i have a similar problem with my creative card too

#8 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2012 - 00:49

I am amazed I am not able to find any solutions, kind of a fail on Microsoft's part... Installs drivers that don't even work and when the drivers are installed the video playback is in slow motion. I really hope this is fixed when it hits retail.

#9 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2012 - 00:51

Ok guys I just installed Windows 8 RTM (fresh install) and I have no sound. I have made sure the drivers are installed, checked the Windows services and ran a cmd prompt "fix" all with no luck. I have uninstalled and installed the driver several times and the everything shows it should be working but I have no sound in anything and I am at a loss... It worked in all the previous builds but now it does not work in RTM. My laptop is a Compaq CQ60-211DX and I recently upgraded the CPU and Memory, I don't know what else to do and I am pretty upset because I am really liking Windows 8.

Does anyone have any solutions?

EDIT: When the sound driver is installed video playback via youtube or any other videos is in slow motion. Once the drivers are removed it plays smooth...

Did you install the latest driver for it?
http://drivers.softp...ows-8-x64.shtml

A buddy of mine had the same issue. I pointed him to that dl and it fixed his issue.

#10 Lester Gester

Lester Gester

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:01

Installed Win 8 64-bit RTM on a Dell Inspiron N4110 laptop....great sound....just used the laptop h/w as is..../g

#11 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:09

I am amazed I am not able to find any solutions, kind of a fail on Microsoft's part... Installs drivers that don't even work and when the drivers are installed the video playback is in slow motion. I really hope this is fixed when it hits retail.

I have a Presario CQ60 212EM and sound worked out of the box with 8 RTM and all pre-release versions too, iirc I either used the Win 7 drivers or just let WU install/update them

#12 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:10

Did you install the latest driver for it?
http://drivers.softp...ows-8-x64.shtml

A buddy of mine had the same issue. I pointed him to that dl and it fixed his issue.

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight. Not at home at the moment :) Just so I don't accidentally install it wrong what is the correct process on installing a .cab file?

I have a Presario CQ60 212EM and sound worked out of the box with 8 RTM and all pre-release versions too, iirc I either used the Win 7 drivers or just let WU install/update them

Worked find in all the previous versions except for RTM, going to try the drivers that Lo Tec posted and see what happens.

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:12

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight. Not at home at the moment :) Just so I don't accidentally install it wrong what is the correct process on installing a .cab file?

Worked find in all the previous versions except for RTM, going to try the drivers that Lo Tec posted and see what happens.

Here's the ones for mine (x64)
http://ftp.hp.com/pu...500/sp45166.exe

I`ll run driver grabber for you and pull the ones that are running on mine if you still don't have it working

#14 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:19

I would just open it with winrar and then point device manager to it or try running the .exe within.

CAB files are common to drivers Microsoft places on their os installation disks.
They are compressed files (similiar to zip) which contain several files and can even contain hundreds of driver files. You don't install a cab file. You install the device using the add new hardware program....... during hardware installation the system will automtically look for the installation disk from it's original install location. If the disk or files are not in that default location, then you must redirect it to where the driver.cab file is located. The installation will automatically look for the required file(s) within the cab file and extract from it what is needed.

Source

#15 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:35

Here's all the Audio related drivers from my CQ60, extract and use Device Manager to install manually

http://localhostr.co...12 02-30-16.zip

You have installed the Chipset drivers right ? (Compatibility mode for 7)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!