Another design glitch in Windows 8?

win8

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 andrewbares

andrewbares

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2012 - 16:56

So I noticed a dead pixel on my screen today. Wait no, it's not a dead pixel! It's simply the Metro Internet Explorer!

Posted Image

The dead white pixel appears wherever you are in metro Internet Explorer. It doesn't appear anywhere else in Windows 8.

More info: Sometimes it appears in that position, and sometimes it appears 20px or so lower, so it's not physically a dead pixel. Appears on southparkstudios.com too and other sites with a dark background. Doesn't appear in any other apps so far though. And yes this is Windows 8 RTM downloaded from TechNet.

Even more info: I tried closing IE and opening it again (right clicking it from the side window switcher page and clicking close) and the dead pixel went away. So it definitely seems to be caused by IE. I have two GPU's that I can switch between on my laptop so if it is one of those, I'd be able to switch to another and prove it's not a graphics card driver issue.

It appears to simply be something very random, which is why none of you probably haven't seen it. After closing and opening, it's not appearing right now.

#2 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 20 August 2012 - 16:58

Nope, I think that's just your machine :p

#3 Zac Bowden

Zac Bowden

Managing Editor at WinBeta

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 20 August 2012 - 16:59

I don't see this white pixel on my PC, have you tried restarting your PC?

#4 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:00

So I noticed a dead pixel on my screen today. Wait no, it's not a dead pixel! It's simply the Metro Internet Explorer!

Posted Image

The dead white pixel appears wherever you are in metro Internet Explorer. It doesn't appear anywhere else in Windows 8. That's a pretty big fail lol.

I do not have it on my windows 8 machine either

#5 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:02

I'm not seeing that on my particular setup. I'd be willing to bet though if you could select it you'd find it actually is something coded on the site.

I remember seeing a similar single white dot like that a while back (not in Metro IE) on a website and it turned out to actually be some sort of code for an ad control or something.

#6 zeta_immersion

zeta_immersion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:04

so , you have a dead pixel that simply cannot render a specific color (white/red/blue/green) and Metro, simply just had to actually put a white pixel right there ...

man, you made my day .... my cam (sony w200 has the same issue ... it has some dead pixels and in black it shows red, but in all other colors work fine) .. damn you science

#7 OP andrewbares

andrewbares

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:08

so , you have a dead pixel that simply cannot render a specific color (white/red/blue/green) and Metro, simply just had to actually put a white pixel right there ...

man, you made my day .... my cam (sony w200 has the same issue ... it has some dead pixels and in black it shows red, but in all other colors work fine) .. damn you science

The pixel shifts position (sometimes it's lower sometimes it's 20px higher). It's NOT a dead pixel. It's something with Internet Explorer, and appears on other sites (You can see in in southparkstudios).

#8 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:10

So wait GFX cards can have dead pixels too?

#9 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:10

The pixel shifts position (sometimes it's lower sometimes it's 20px higher). It's NOT a dead pixel. It's something with Internet Explorer, and appears on other sites (You can see in in southparkstudios).

What resolution is your screen? I have a feeling this is an ad control (as I mentioned earlier) that you're spotting, but because of the Modern UI behavior you can't right click to verify.

#10 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:11

Most likely an issue with your graphics card driver.

#11 OP andrewbares

andrewbares

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:16

Most likely an issue with your graphics card driver.

Nope it's not a graphics card driver issue. Fully closing IE and opening it again made it disappear. It's definitely caused by IE, seems to be extremely random that's all.

What resolution is your screen? I have a feeling this is an ad control (as I mentioned earlier) that you're spotting, but because of the Modern UI behavior you can't right click to verify.

1280 x 800. Could be an ad control but I don't think southparkstudios has many third-party advertisements.

#12 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:38

Nope it's not a graphics card driver issue. Fully closing IE and opening it again made it disappear. It's definitely caused by IE, seems to be extremely random that's all.

... and IE's display surface is fully GPU accelerated. You can't rule out GPU drivers that easily :p

#13 Stoyan Dimitrov

Stoyan Dimitrov

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2012 - 19:31

I dont see it either ... :p

#14 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 August 2012 - 00:36

I have the dead pixel issue too on one of my laptops. this laptop has an intel 4 series chipset,and the drivers are the ones loaded by windows 8. using windows 8 rtm

update: closed ie with task manager,and opened it again,and now its gone. I haven't shut down this computer in awhile,just putting it in sleep mode. maybe its a bug,maybe its a driver issue,who knows.

#15 aviator189

aviator189

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 00:53

dude, did you even think that it might be just your machine that's experiencing this?
I don't see any such thing on mine.