• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#151 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:00

the significantly increased mouse travel time is something I'd definitely consider a usability hit...

Mouse tracking. Adjust it, and you'll be fine. ;)

EDIT: I just noticed this is my resurrected thread... :/

#152 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:11

Mouse tracking. Adjust it, and you'll be fine. ;)

I'm a pc gamer so I keep mouse acceleration totally disabled. I would not enjoy having to ramp up mouse accel to workaround a poorly concieved right click menu replacement.

#153 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:27

I made a quick video emulating Win+I with my mouse using a macro and Keyboard and Mouse center. When I boot into Windows 7 next, I'll upload it and post it.

Wait, what...??? Why do you need to boot into 7 to upload....???

#154 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:43

After 5 months and a Warwagon thread revival, do you still like your own idea?

#155 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:47

After 5 months and a Warwagon thread revival, do you still like your own idea?

At this point, I'm favoring Microsoft eliminating the desktop all together these next few years. I think you'll see Metro evolve to take over for it.

And, if Microsoft isn't interested in killing the desktop completely, just transforming it, I would still love to see more Metro integration, yes, either through the new sidebar menus, or via Metro app- like menus:

Screenshot (3488).png
VERY quick mockup!

Either way, I feel there is still major transformations coming to Windows in "Blue" or Windows 9, that will further depreciate the desktop or integrate it into Metro.

#156 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:39

At this point, I'm favoring Microsoft eliminating the desktop all together these next few years. I think you'll see Metro evolve to take over for it.
Either way, I feel there is still major transformations coming to Windows in "Blue" or Windows 9, that will further depreciate the desktop or integrate it into Metro.

desktop (and traditional "apps") are not going anywhere anytime soon. The most Windows 9 will do is polish what they already have in 8. Things like,
  • Squash the many small random bugs that seem to plague Win8 (have a look at Microsoft Answers) such as the one I am facing where Win8 refuses to shut down and causes CPU spike.(Ends in either hard reboot or BSOD take your pick)
  • 3 tile sizes (similar to WP)
  • improve app launch and overall performance
  • UI polish

#157 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:53

At this point, I'm favoring Microsoft eliminating the desktop all together these next few years.

Posted Image

So you want them to destroy productivity completely?

How am I gonna use photoshop, dreamweaver, web browser, music player, chat program all at once if you can only have 1 fullscreen app at a time?

Are you a troll or something?

#158 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:55

Posted Image

So you want them to destroy productivity completely?

How am I gonna use photoshop, dreamweaver, web browser, music player, chat program all at once if you can only have 1 fullscreen app at a time?

Are you a troll or something?

Do you not think Metro won't evolve? What you're telling me with this comment is that Metro will remain the same forever, and won't adapt to new trends.

#159 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:59

While OSX and Linux exist Microsoft won't get rid of the desktop or people will just dump Windows like a hot pile of s*it. With the Metro design 'ethics' I can't see any evolution that's going to be as powerful and versatile as the desktop is.

I have no problem with the Metro stuff being evolved on tablets (lets not get into that whole debate again) don't screw over people who actually use their computers for something other than web browsing and facebook.

#160 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:05

this idea stems from Apple single-button mice diseases

#161 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:06

While OSX and Linux exist Microsoft won't get rid of the desktop or people will just dump Windows like a hot pile of s*it. With the Metro design 'ethics' I can't see any evolution that's going to be as powerful and versatile as the desktop is.

I have no problem with the Metro stuff being evolved on tablets (lets not get into that whole debate again) don't screw over people who actually use their computers for something other than web browsing and facebook.

Strange, I can use my Surface for more than just Internet browsing and Facebook. ;) There's no denying it would involve workflow changed (gasp!), but that doesn't mean a person can't be just as productive.

#162 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:08

I never said you couldn't.

I'd like to see how you cope graphic/web designing on Metro interface without desktop.

My point was that Microsoft is aiming all this touch crap at morons who use their PC's just for listening to music and social networking.

#163 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:10

I never said you couldn't.

I'd like to see how you cope graphic/web designing on Metro interface without desktop.

Why do you need a desktop to code? You can still have open your project and a browser on Metro for your web development.

Graphic design will survive without a mouse. Metro isn't going to kill off the Wacom tablets.

#164 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:12

Because I have a brain and can multitask, I don't need something full screen taking my full attention.

#165 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:12

but designing something using metro defeat the metro purpose,
which is metro intended to be a consumption interface, not a content-creation interface.

Left Click or Right Click interface totaly weird if it you only using your finger & touchscreen. (no non-single button mice or pen with switch)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!