Jump to content
Posted 16 September 2012 - 21:57
Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:49
Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:07
Posted 17 September 2012 - 18:40
Posted 15 December 2012 - 14:59
Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:20
Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:21
I have no startup sound at all. Never did.
Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:38
I think it comes from upgrading from 7
With a clean install I don't remember a startup sound either
Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:44
I upgraded, and didn't have a start up sound.
Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:53
When you have Windows 8 DON'T EVER USE THAT FREE UTILITY Startup Sound Changer !!!!
It screws up your imageres.dll. After reboot your Metro interface will be mixed up with your desktop, and it'll be a complete mess when you try to do something.
Basically, your Windows and all your programs work perfectly, but because your display is a mess it will be quite useless.
The only way I found to do something is:
- switch to the window you want to see using Alt-Tab
- use Winkey-L to go to the Lock screen
- log in again
and voilá, you can use the window you just switched to.
I have been trying a whole day to find out that it was in fact the imageres.dll that caused the troubles, and then it took a while to get an uncorrputed version of that file.
The fix is:
- install the very same Windows 8 version onto another pc (Note that you have 64 and 32 bits, and it could be localized)
- rename the corrupted file to imageres.dll.corrupt or something else (you are not allowed to overwrite it)
- copy the file c:\windows\system32\imageres.dll from the new Windows 8 set up to your pc
Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:39
Posted 16 November 2013 - 15:26
We did this as a prank, but had it play Grease theme song.
We had a script that ran the sound file, then ran a task to run that on computer start.