janvv, on 15 December 2012 - 14:59, said:
When you have Windows 8 DON'T EVER USE THAT FREE UTILITY Startup Sound Changer !!!!
It screws up your imageres.dll. After reboot your Metro interface will be mixed up with your desktop, and it'll be a complete mess when you try to do something.
Basically, your Windows and all your programs work perfectly, but because your display is a mess it will be quite useless.
The only way I found to do something is:
- switch to the window you want to see using Alt-Tab
- use Winkey-L to go to the Lock screen
- log in again
and voilá, you can use the window you just switched to.
I have been trying a whole day to find out that it was in fact the imageres.dll that caused the troubles, and then it took a while to get an uncorrputed version of that file.
The fix is:
- install the very same Windows 8 version onto another pc (Note that you have 64 and 32 bits, and it could be localized)
- rename the corrupted file to imageres.dll.corrupt or something else (you are not allowed to overwrite it)
- copy the file c:\windows\system32\imageres.dll from the new Windows 8 set up to your pc
The developer of Startup Sound Changer never claimed it was compatible with Windows 8. It works on Windows 7 and Vista. Your mistake if you tried it on Windows 8 without understanding how it works (modifies shell files).