Start8 Now Cost $5

win8

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2012 - 19:53

Recieved an email today about Start8 version 0.95 with a link to download. Followed the link and they want 5 bones for the new BETA version, with final version free if you pay now. This is kind of an outrage but I guess I should have seen it coming. Can anyone recommend a good alternative?

http://stardock.com/...ck+in+Windows+8

EDIT:

Upon checking Neowin's old interviews I ran across this. I thought I had remembered the CEO stating this:

Will anyone still be able to download and/or purchase the final version of Start8 when it is officially launched?
Oh yea. Start8 is going to be freeware still for non-commercial use.

http://www.neowin.ne...pdate-on-start8

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 27 September 2012 - 19:56

Windows 7

#3 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

Can anyone recommend a good alternative?

Classic Shell. Only complain is the Most Frequently used list of programs is a little messed up.

#4 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Why not just try it out first? Maybe you'll find it's actually worth the $5.

#5 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 September 2012 - 19:57

How is it an outrage that they're charging for software?

#6 OP zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2012 - 19:59

Why not just try it out first? Maybe you'll find it's actually worth the $5.

I've actually been using start8 since day 1 of release. Its a decent program but I am not going to pay $5 for every machine I put windows on for such a simple program. I know there are free alternatives out there. If it maybe did something unique I would consider it. I'd rather deal with Metro start than blow $5 on it.

#7 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:00

My suggestion would be, try doing without and you will like the new method better once you get used to it.

It's just as quick to press the Windows Key on your keyboard, type half of what you want to load and press enter.

I dunno, I was the same way at first, but once I got down the concept, I realized it works much better.. plus you can still pin apps to the taskbar if you want.

#8 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:01

Recorded TV shows up regardless of whether I have it checked in the settings, and I still don't have the option to expand the control panel into a menu instead of a link, and my custom start menu image no longer displays correctly, so I'm using the Win8 flag instead, but other than that it works fabulously. It's still in beta, and I expect that in time any gripes I have will be fixed. I probably would have paid the $5 for it, but it's part of Object Desktop now, so I just downloaded and installed it asap when I got the email.

Also, I really like how now I can click on the start button to bring up the menu, and press the windows key to bring up the start screen.

#9 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:02

I see piracy in their future

#10 OP zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:03

Well to me, after hearing the owner of stardock bash windows 8 so much for not having the start menu, then offering start8 as a free alternative for such a simple little program I kind of feel a like they are trying bait and switch. I was actually considering purchasing software from them to say thank you for offering such a neat little tool for free, something that the CEO felt we deserved. After being fed the free beta for months and now asked to cough up $5 I'm quite upset about it. It's made me wary to buy or try any of their products, free or otherwise.

#11 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:04

How did people not see this coming? This is a perfect opportunity to cash in with the release of Windows 8 in less than 30 days.

#12 OP zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:07

My suggestion would be, try doing without and you will like the new method better once you get used to it.

It's just as quick to press the Windows Key on your keyboard, type half of what you want to load and press enter.

I dunno, I was the same way at first, but once I got down the concept, I realized it works much better.. plus you can still pin apps to the taskbar if you want.

I have tried, and with a desktop metro is actually quite fine. However I use laptops throughout the day mostly at work on the go and metro is not touchpad friendly from what I have experienced.

How did people not see this coming? This is a perfect opportunity to cash in with the release of Windows 8 in less than 30 days.

I did not see this coming because of this:

Will anyone still be able to download and/or purchase the final version of Start8 when it is officially launched?
Oh yea. Start8 is going to be freeware still for non-commercial use.

http://www.neowin.ne...pdate-on-start8

#13 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:08

I have tried, and with a desktop metro is actually quite fine. However I use laptops throughout the day mostly at work on the go and metro is not touchpad friendly from what I have experienced.

Well there is no "Metro" but laptops work just fine, you don't have to have a touchscreen if you have a mouse/touchpad/keyboard.

The touchscreen's to me, only benefit a tablet type system with no mouse/touchpad/keyboard.

Also update your touchpad drivers as they may have released Windows 8 compatible touch gesture enabled updates for it.

#14 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:08

Classic Shell. Only complain is the Most Frequently used list of programs is a little messed up.

It only has a Most Recently Used program list and it can only track programs launched from its own menu. Not from other places because that list (Frequently Used) is encoded by Windows, and although the encoding has been figured out by various people, it needs to be decoded using undocumented tools which is what I suspect Start8 does.

#15 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:09

Because everything should be free, FREE :woot: FREEEEEEEEE :woot: