minecraft notch john callaham windows 8

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#181 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

• 2,218 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:53

I''ve yet to see ANY valid arguments why Java is bad.

The language lacks a lot of stuff, the standard library is often a bit weird, it has tons of security vulnerabilities and a bad versioning system, and it's no better than .NET in other aspects.

#182 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,789 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:51

Tons of security vulnerabilities? The ones it "had" get patched. As for how many are there you don't know about. You don't know and can't make such a claim, not without saying the same thing about every other language and system out there as well, so, not valid.

The rest is pretty much personal subjective opinions. And to really good reasons for saying its bad.

#183 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• 2,772 posts
  • Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:22

As far as I can see, Microsoft has nothing better to do than to copy Apple here. They introduce App Stores, and you'll see more and more restrictions on the software you can install. Why would it go the opposite way?

If the userbase doesn't like it, it probably will. Everything comes down to whether or not Windows users like the idea of losing the legacy Windows interface. If they don't want to lose it, then I could easily see Metro going the way of Windows Media Center.

Tons of security vulnerabilities? The ones it "had" get patched. As for how many are there you don't know about. You don't know and can't make such a claim, not without saying the same thing about every other language and system out there as well, so, not valid.

The rest is pretty much personal subjective opinions. And to really good reasons for saying its bad.

Java is considered bad because its somewhat bloated. Aside from that, people still use Java.

#184 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,739 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:25

Emn1ty, do you doubt that the mobility focused Generation n00b won't make that trade-off in a heartbeat?

#185 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,985 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:31

The language lacks a lot of stuff, the standard library is often a bit weird, it has tons of security vulnerabilities and a bad versioning system, and it's no better than .NET in other aspects.

If the security of your servers depends on the installation or not of the jvm you're doing it wrong.

#186 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• 2,772 posts
  • Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:07

Emn1ty, do you doubt that the mobility focused Generation n00b won't make that trade-off in a heartbeat?

I don't know, honestly its not about the "mobility focused" generation when we are talking desktop PC's/laptops. That's a different audience and also contains many demographics. I don't even know if Metro will work well without a touch interface since I have yet to use it. So it could be that it is ahead of its time for Desktops.

#187 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

• 2,218 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:50

If the security of your servers depends on the installation or not of the jvm you're doing it wrong.

I'm talking about it from an user's point of view.
Having to install a runtime that gets patched every month or so because tens of critical flaws are found, and then managing all the Java versions, is a pain.

#188 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,985 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:24

I'm talking about it from an user's point of view.
Having to install a runtime that gets patched every month or so because tens of critical flaws are found, and then managing all the Java versions, is a pain.

I honestly don't feel at risk with the jvm installed as long as the browser plug in is not installed.

I agree the browser pluging and applet support would be better dead.

But the jvm itself is okay and for multiplatform dev it's a good option.

#189 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,789 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:25

Browser don't really need a plugin to use your java install. It uses your regular java path.

Either way you shouldn't be to worried, it's easy enough to notice if a website tries to load java and if you're on a no trustworthy site you just go back.