Photo

Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

win8

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#196 phailyoor

phailyoor

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Posted 18 October 2012 - 23:13

I see quite the opposite (on slower devices). On my faster machines they're all (desktop or Store apps) instantaneous regardless of whether they're running or not.

Well, it's nice that your metro apps start quickly for computers that you touch. That does nothing to help everyone else.

#197 1941

Banned

Posted 18 October 2012 - 23:16

No, it is not just you, they do suck.

#198 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:52

too early... the entire Metro platform is at alpha at best.

#199 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:11

Well, if you look up, there's another poster claiming that it takes 2-3 seconds to start a metro app. I also back that figure.

This obviously varies from setup to setup. I mean, my apps (all of them) open instantly. I also played with an HP all-in-one today at Best Buy and the apps there too opened instantly. Not real sure what some of you guys setup is. I'm on an ASRock 8900 GS Extreme 4 mobo (3.2Ghz), AMD Phenom II quad core (not Black) with 12gigs of 1666 RAM, and a 120gb Kingston HyperX 3k SSD and a Radeon 4870.

As you can clearly see I don't have the newest bits except the SSD, and none of them were top tier even when they were new. So... only thing I can think of is Nvidia. People with Nvidia cards seemed to have more issues than others through the various previews.

#200 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:42

what I don't get is why people expect people to spoonfeed them and baby stuff down.... people should try to better themselves and grow up instead of being babied and drag everyone down.... this is for those who think proper media players are too overwhelming....

#201 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:23

what I don't get is why people expect people to spoonfeed them and baby stuff down.... people should try to better themselves and grow up instead of being babied and drag everyone down.... this is for those who think proper media players are too overwhelming....

Again you're confusing media payers and media managers, and in any case no one said they where to overwhelming.

But what you keep ignoring is that you pr use case is a very very tiny subtraction of a sub percentage of the total user base. They don't make apps for niches in the OS. You are perfectly fine downloading your own more advanced apps, heck you're such a jriver fan girl you'd never use anything else anyway. So I don't see what you're whining about. Or are you expecting the average dumb user who makes up 99% of the users to find a decent simple player and download, while the small niche who wants a bloated media manager gets one included? Seems a bit backwards, especially when that niche isn't happy with the include software and downloads a third party one anyway.

#202 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:29

on windows RT you can't!! there is no metro start screen media manager yet! there is nothing that is good enough for everyone and that includes people like me.... if they would have at least had WMP for those they would have catered to both... and they don't so winRT is not going to be purchased by those who care about thier media. which is a way larger group then you think.

#203 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:31

WinRTisnt really a media management device. And besides music apps is perfectly fine at handling huge libraries and manage playlists.

#204 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:05

Why is it photoshop opens faster than most metro apps?

Its always, pointless animation, loading, then the app fades/slides in... (I'm on a ssd/not slow machine)

#205 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:21

Why is it photoshop opens faster than most metro apps?

Its always, pointless animation, loading, then the app fades/slides in... (I'm on a ssd/not slow machine)

LIES! PURE LIES! How dare you lie about Windows 8 in such a manor! You're doing it wrong!

/end over dramatization of Windows 8 fanboys.

For those of you who "open metro apps in less than a second", good for you! It doesn't work that way for everyone. So quit downplaying the issue that appears to be more widespread than you care to admit.

#206 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:24

mail opens in a second for me, I've had one occasion where it took somewhere between 5 and 8 ish, but I haven't been able to recreate it. music takes 5 ish on first open, but it has to open a gigantic library so. netflix takes a long time on first start, but I think they messed up, since it's before the loading circle pops up it takes long once that's there it opens up.

As for photoshop, it takes longer than netflix.

#207 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:25

WinRTisnt really a media management device. And besides music apps is perfectly fine at handling huge libraries and manage playlists.

winRT is an operating system that is supposed to be complete. It's incomplete without a decent media player. It's good for everything else besides media management. that's where MS got it wrong.

#208 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:32

nope, it has media management, it's not good enough(according to you) for you very special use case, but again, your use case is again, very special.

#209 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:17

Keep in mind once you open and app, and reopen it, it of course is near instant to open... Talking about the initial opening of an app. For as little these apps are, they should be instant no matter what.

#210 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:44

LIES! PURE LIES! How dare you lie about Windows 8 in such a manor! You're doing it wrong!

/end over dramatization of Windows 8 fanboys.

For those of you who "open metro apps in less than a second", good for you! It doesn't work that way for everyone. So quit downplaying the issue that appears to be more widespread than you care to admit.

I am a metro fanboy and most built-in apps in Windows 8 don't start instantaneously. They take noticeably longer than they should. I think Photos (viewer), Reader, Music and Video are all very slow for the miniscule interface that they load afterwards.